• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Exercises to make a S more N

titanguy

MBTI Type
Enfp
Is there mental exercises to help develop an S's Intuition better?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hopefully not.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You may find this useful.

To experience Introverted Intuition:

• As you come across any sign (e.g. an advertisement, a sentence, a logo, a choice of color for a restaurant's decor, even a non-man-made sign like a cloud), say to yourself, "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" and fill in the blanks. This creates conscious awareness of the assumed interpretations of things, and distances you from them. For example, if you see a restaurant sign with very ornate, curly characters in thin white strokes on a black background, say, "So I'm supposed to think this is a posh place for high-class people, but what I really see is just a slab of plastic with black paint on it, minus some curlicues where the white shows through." If you see a sign on a door inside the restaurant, that says "MEN", say, "So I'm supposed to think there's a bathroom behind that door, and it's only socially appropriate for men to use it, but really it's just a piece of wood with some marks on it." You must name the thing you're supposed to think in words, and describe the object in words; no mere pointing or saying "like that" is allowed. A feeling of smugness may set in at first. Keep going, until it becomes a feeling of freedom.

Ummm...no. :huh:

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Doesn't go that way.

N can try to become more S.

S can't really be N.

Its like trying to make yourself retarded. Just doesn't happen.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes.

Allow me to tell the S in training my jokes. They should laugh for the sake of it. However, voice record my jokes and analyze then later until you understand them. Then you will laugh because you understand the complex hilarity of those jokes.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
No. That's not how my brain works. There are better descriptions of Ni around this forum, but I don't know where to find them at the moment.

I'm sure there are other descriptions that are more intriguing, comprehensive and accurate, but that particular description of Ni may still be the best I've seen; a difficult concept is made very simple. It's also easy to understand for those who don't use the function naturally (like, for example, primary Nis do).

(I'd like to know how your Ni works if depriving things from their assigned values, meanings and symbolism doesn't cut it. But this might be off-topic, sorry for that.)

MFJAGgernaut-B

MBTI Type
INFP
A Sensory type is someone who takes in new information by what they can see, hear, feel, or smell about the subject. An iNtuition type takes in new information by association to what they already know.

Even if you DID somehow manage to get the prospect of book learning to appeal to an S type, you also have to consider that there are SIXTEEN types in the MBTI scale, and each one has its own perspective on any piece of data. For example, an INFJ will see new information as a clue to a new perspective on the world around him. An INTJ may see the same information as an indicator of another way to approach a problem. An ENTJ may see it as inspiration for a new plan to carry out. An ENTP may see it as the missing piece to a greater system. Four types, all with the N in common, each with a different outlook.

To further complicate matters, all four functions work in conjunction to reinforce one another. Even if you appeal to the S function, there will be three other functions on hand to remind the S that books are boring. And even if you did succeed in convincing him to give book learning a shot, it's not likely to stick. He'll read long enough to remember why he never bothered with books in the first place, and then he'll go right back outside.

You'll have wasted part of your life, and he'll still be an S. Don't even try it.

Jaguar

To experience Introverted Intuition:

• As you come across any sign (e.g. an advertisement, a sentence, a logo, a choice of color for a restaurant's decor, even a non-man-made sign like a cloud), say to yourself, "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" and fill in the blanks. This creates conscious awareness of the assumed interpretations of things, and distances you from them. For example, if you see a restaurant sign with very ornate, curly characters in thin white strokes on a black background, say, "So I'm supposed to think this is a posh place for high-class people, but what I really see is just a slab of plastic with black paint on it, minus some curlicues where the white shows through." If you see a sign on a door inside the restaurant, that says "MEN", say, "So I'm supposed to think there's a bathroom behind that door, and it's only socially appropriate for men to use it, but really it's just a piece of wood with some marks on it." You must name the thing you're supposed to think in words, and describe the object in words; no mere pointing or saying "like that" is allowed. A feeling of smugness may set in at first. Keep going, until it becomes a feeling of freedom.

Ummm...no. :huh:

That explanation of Ni is the most ridiculous I have ever read.
As a matter of fact, it is so far off the mark, it sounds like something a person would write while they were drunk.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have asked this question before on the forum. It's not easy for people to answer. The only thing I've come up with is to form closer relationships with Ns and then let them intuit all over the place without you ever stopping them or critiquing them and hopefully some of that will rub off on you. But to do that you have to turn off your S when you're around them and be completely open to it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That explanation of Ni is the most ridiculous I have ever read.
As a matter of fact, it is so far off the mark, it sounds like something a person would write while they were drunk.

I think it's a joke. It says at the bottom that you may feel smug at first. ROFL!

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
I am not sure I like the direction this question was aimed. If the question is being literal, then I would agree with Giggly in having intuitive friends and not criticizing them, but still use your sensory mode (like anyone could turn off their perceiving mode is beyond me). Regardless people will grow throughout their lifetimes (ideally). Intuition preferenced people will start understanding 'what is' can be what it actually is, whereas Sensory preferenced people will start understanding 'what is' is only a part of what it can be. I don't think that was well explained, but someone else can fix that if they agree. If this question was meant to be about changing S's into N's then I think it is missing the point that each preference has it's uses and skills. Hope this helps, Keps.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am so glad something like this has come up.

So i read the link and i am confused.

To experience Introverted Intuition - "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" ..
Why do you have to dumb down what you are seeing?

Do N's really view 'things' in this way to distance themslves from it.

I find it incredibly hard to type people on the whole N/S .. so hoped this would come in handy. Also being a weakness of mine, if i can build it up, then great. I am scratching my head even more now. :huh:

:blush: