User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    No. That's not how my brain works. There are better descriptions of Ni around this forum, but I don't know where to find them at the moment.
    I'm sure there are other descriptions that are more intriguing, comprehensive and accurate, but that particular description of Ni may still be the best I've seen; a difficult concept is made very simple. It's also easy to understand for those who don't use the function naturally (like, for example, primary Nis do).

(I'd like to know how your Ni works if depriving things from their assigned values, meanings and symbolism doesn't cut it. But this might be off-topic, sorry for that.)

MBTI
    INFP

A Sensory type is someone who takes in new information by what they can see, hear, feel, or smell about the subject. An iNtuition type takes in new information by association to what they already know.

Even if you DID somehow manage to get the prospect of book learning to appeal to an S type, you also have to consider that there are SIXTEEN types in the MBTI scale, and each one has its own perspective on any piece of data. For example, an INFJ will see new information as a clue to a new perspective on the world around him. An INTJ may see the same information as an indicator of another way to approach a problem. An ENTJ may see it as inspiration for a new plan to carry out. An ENTP may see it as the missing piece to a greater system. Four types, all with the N in common, each with a different outlook.

To further complicate matters, all four functions work in conjunction to reinforce one another. Even if you appeal to the S function, there will be three other functions on hand to remind the S that books are boring. And even if you did succeed in convincing him to give book learning a shot, it's not likely to stick. He'll read long enough to remember why he never bothered with books in the first place, and then he'll go right back outside.

You'll have wasted part of your life, and he'll still be an S. Don't even try it.

To experience Introverted Intuition:

As you come across any sign (e.g. an advertisement, a sentence, a logo, a choice of color for a restaurant's decor, even a non-man-made sign like a cloud), say to yourself, "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" and fill in the blanks. This creates conscious awareness of the assumed interpretations of things, and distances you from them. For example, if you see a restaurant sign with very ornate, curly characters in thin white strokes on a black background, say, "So I'm supposed to think this is a posh place for high-class people, but what I really see is just a slab of plastic with black paint on it, minus some curlicues where the white shows through." If you see a sign on a door inside the restaurant, that says "MEN", say, "So I'm supposed to think there's a bathroom behind that door, and it's only socially appropriate for men to use it, but really it's just a piece of wood with some marks on it." You must name the thing you're supposed to think in words, and describe the object in words; no mere pointing or saying "like that" is allowed. A feeling of smugness may set in at first. Keep going, until it becomes a feeling of freedom.
    Ummm...no.
    That explanation of Ni is the most ridiculous I have ever read.
    As a matter of fact, it is so far off the mark, it sounds like something a person would write while they were drunk.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I have asked this question before on the forum. It's not easy for people to answer. The only thing I've come up with is to form closer relationships with Ns and then let them intuit all over the place without you ever stopping them or critiquing them and hopefully some of that will rub off on you. But to do that you have to turn off your S when you're around them and be completely open to it.

MBTI
    INTP

Ummm...no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    As a matter of fact, it is so far off the mark, it sounds like something a person would write while they were drunk.
    What would you write in its place?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I think it's a joke. It says at the bottom that you may feel smug at first. ROFL!

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think it's a joke. It says at the bottom that you may feel smug at first. ROFL!
    I went back to that link-- the entire page is strange. Lol.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Its like trying to make yourself retarded. Just doesn't happen.
    Wait...WHAT??!! But I've been working on it for so long!!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

I am not sure I like the direction this question was aimed. If the question is being literal, then I would agree with Giggly in having intuitive friends and not criticizing them, but still use your sensory mode (like anyone could turn off their perceiving mode is beyond me). Regardless people will grow throughout their lifetimes (ideally). Intuition preferenced people will start understanding 'what is' can be what it actually is, whereas Sensory preferenced people will start understanding 'what is' is only a part of what it can be. I don't think that was well explained, but someone else can fix that if they agree. If this question was meant to be about changing S's into N's then I think it is missing the point that each preference has it's uses and skills. Hope this helps, Keps.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am so glad something like this has come up.

So i read the link and i am confused.

To experience Introverted Intuition - "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" ..
    Why do you have to dumb down what you are seeing?

Do N's really view 'things' in this way to distance themslves from it.

I find it incredibly hard to type people on the whole N/S .. so hoped this would come in handy. Also being a weakness of mine, if i can build it up, then great. I am scratching my head even more now.

“I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe