User Tag List

123 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default NFPs and Debating, or, Get Your NT on.

I love a good debate complete with facts and logic and all that. Are there any other NFPs on here that love intellectual sparing, or do heated debates have a tendency to make you feel disharmonious?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

In general, they love talking about any of their interests, however they tend to hate the disharmonious part, and can get upset.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Mmm I love a good debate. I love discussing and hashing out ideas.

I will only discuss with people who can see another person's point, though. Some people think they are discussing or debating something when they are just stating their point over and over again. People also get caught up in seeing their worth as "winning" an argument. There is no point in discussing in that situation, either.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

For my ENFP companions, it's a definite yes and we debate just about every topic all the time. For the INFPs, they're more interested in a friendly discussion. I'm not certain how that applies to the rest of the NFP group.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    For my ENFP companions, it's a definite yes and we debate just about every topic all the time.
    INTJs - I love when my INTJ friends like to talk to me about their work issues (coding, intelligent AI, for example) and hash them out with me. It's not debating but still.. melding of minds. Mm.

MBTI
    INFP

I love debating. I've never quite gotten how they say NF types hate debates. I may hate actual emotional confrontation where there's the threat of criticism to me as a person, but purely theoretical and logical debates are fine.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    INTJs - I love when my INTJ friends like to talk to me about their work issues (coding, intelligent AI, for example) and hash them out with me. It's not debating but still.. melding of minds. Mm.
    Through debating the ENFPs, I actually ended up changing my entire stance on several personal topics, despite appearing stubbornly adherent to a single position (as I like to perform a complete check for all theoretical holes prior to adopting a different view).

I was surprised to discover my ENFP comrades felt the same way when I thanked them for helping me shed those old, ineffective ideas. Call it an unexpected learning experience. Our differences frequently paves the road to newer insights.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    entp

you can get on my NT if you want...$100/hr...with typology discount, its $73.96/hr

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Indeed. My Te goes into full-blown killer mode when I debate seriously though (as opposed to light-hearted bantering, which I don't take seriously). So most people stared wide-eyed in utter astonishment when I start debating (Like: where the hell did that come from?!?!?! ). Most of the time in high school I was pretty quiet and serious. Then, when we had a parliamentary debate, out came the Panzer division that did a Blitzkrieg on everyone. Afterwards, my shocked classmates said, "Oh my god, I never realized you had a mouth to speak." HA! Imagine what they would say now.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I love debating. It's fun to see all the possibilities and how they fit.