User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. #21
    Senior Member rainoneventide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    365

    Default

    The things I feel like debating about are views I hold strongly, and when I have a strong view I tend to... throw it up in the person's face. And then I feel like a huge jerk afterward. Because I usually do become a huge jerk. This probably isn't a surprise, but I never use statistics or anything when I'm debating. Even if I wanted to my memory is too poor, lol.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

  2. #22
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    I can enjoy debating with people I like.

    More so in real life.

  3. #23
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    The things I feel like debating about are views I hold strongly, and when I have a strong view I tend to... throw it up in the person's face. And then I feel like a huge jerk afterward. Because I usually do become a huge jerk. This probably isn't a surprise, but I never use statistics or anything when I'm debating. Even if I wanted to my memory is too poor, lol.
    And then there are NFs who get very emotionally invested in a topic that it becomes less of a debate, and more hostile.

    Thank you for your honesty and self-awareness. I also realize that even though "you" may act jerkish at times, your thoughts and ideas are still 100% valid. And I hope that you all would feel the same way when I act jerkish, as well.

  4. #24
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Oh goodness... I can't possibly suss out all the specifics... A lot more words, I guess... to seem nicer? I don't know. I can be gabby when I am just conversing, but when debating I use as few words as possible in each sentence to be concise and understood (and often get called cold because of it.)

    Also, you guys tend to concede more? Meaning, starting a counterargument with "that's a valid point" and other things that I would consider to be filler and a waste of time.

    There is a tendency to chastise or remind me that "not all x's are that way, you know", when I think that point is already clear and need not be stated. This always reads as patronizing to me, even though I know that is not always the intent.

    I don't know. I guess you guys just seem to go out of your way to be nice, while I go out of my way to be precise. Either way, the differences lie in the packaging but not the content, in most cases.
    Definitely notice the difference in verbosity versus brevity. This is absolutely true for NFs versus NTs, in my experience. Just a preference, as you stated. At least in my case, the goal is not to be nice . It's just naturally expressing the many ways I came to the conclusion. I like sharing some of the process because in my own view, it helps explain my position better.

    I think the acknowledgment of points the opponent made also rings true -- not seen as a concession as much as a natural part of discussion. I think the difference here really is not going for a 'win' but understanding the topic better...This may reflect a preference for discussion versus debate. I like both, in the latter, no concessions will be made until the very end, maybe...

    Thanks - it's informative to get an outside perspective.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    ^^ Seeing you debate gets me all hot and bothered. Esp. in the realm of politics. (duh)

    It's like cheering for my fave. team, I'm almost euphoric watching you go.

    One of my fav. debaters on this site, NF or otherwise.

  6. #26
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    ^^ Seeing you debate gets me all hot and bothered. Esp. in the realm of politics. (duh)

    It's like cheering for my fave. team, I'm almost euphoric watching you go.

    One of my fav. debaters on this site, NF or otherwise.
    +1000

  7. #27
    Senior Member Heart&Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I love a good debate complete with facts and logic and all that. Are there any other NFPs on here that love intellectual sparing, or do heated debates have a tendency to make you feel disharmonious?
    Love it. It has even become a parttime occupation. One thing is weird though, a lot of people seem to find me 'sharp', by which those who agree mean intelligent and critical and those who don't agree mean arrogant and even angry. I have speculated that it might have to do with introverted feeling letting Ne and Te do the talking?

    I am very smiling and friendly, I never use ad hominem attacks and get seriously offended if my opponent does. I don't mind agreeing with an opponent if she/he is right and I am not in debate to get a personal one-up but to get to 'the true and the good' together. Which is the same reason I call BS if I sense it, laugh when I hear ridiculous arguments and never do nicities and harmonising moves of compromise. The true and good would loose if I did.

    I've heard a few times that if I had been a male nobody would be surprised or offended by my debating style, but me being (a quite 'feminine') female somehow make for different (largely unconscious I suppose) expectations of how I'll behave in a confrontation of ideas.
    Some love the ignorance of gender roles, some are very much provoked and interpret my 'merciless' style as a personal attack on them. Weird. Really, it weirds me out, because I don't feel any anger or contempt at those times. Just enthusiasm, being involved and honest about giving my best shot.

    Could it be that such weird experiences are what people with Te as Dom or Aux report as being misunderstood by 'Feelers' taking their impersonal logic personally?

  8. #28
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    ^^ Seeing you debate gets me all hot and bothered. Esp. in the realm of politics. (duh)

    It's like cheering for my fave. team, I'm almost euphoric watching you go.

    One of my fav. debaters on this site, NF or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    +1000
    Awww shucks....

    The mutual love and admiration is quite overwhelming

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] Get your Grinch on.
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 01:43 AM
  2. [MBTItm] Thriving off of conflict, debates, and/or proving your point?
    By cogdecree in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
  3. [MBTItm] New graduate. All my "mentors" are idiots, and looking to get on a power trip. Help!
    By mysavior in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
  4. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO