User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 28

  1. #11
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Love it, as long as it's done in a way that you exchange pov's to enrich each others ideas. The moment it turns into a bullying competition or a 'my balls are bigger than yours'-screaming contest with score boards, I'm out.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  2. #12
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Love it, as long as it's done in a way that you exchange pov's to enrich each others ideas. The moment it turns into a bullying competition or a 'my balls are bigger than yours'-screaming contest with score boards, I'm out.
    So in theory, you cannot debate if you have opposing points of views?

    I see debating as the filtering of both parties' ideas.

  3. #13
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    I love debating. But I use Te mostly to toss ideas back and forth and it is most fun with my entps.

    (However my entp did just point out "Just because it takes you 20 sentances to say what I can say in one, doesnt mean you understand it any better")

  4. #14
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Indeed. My Te goes into full-blown killer mode when I debate seriously though (as opposed to light-hearted bantering, which I don't take seriously). So most people stared wide-eyed in utter astonishment when I start debating (Like: where the hell did that come from?!?!?! ). Most of the time in high school I was pretty quiet and serious. Then, when we had a parliamentary debate, out came the Panzer division that did a Blitzkrieg on everyone. Afterwards, my shocked classmates said, "Oh my god, I never realized you had a mouth to speak." HA! Imagine what they would say now.
    I never said anything in school. Then I had to take a speech class and give a talk where others "heckled" you. I turned into a tiger and reamed them. My speech teacher made me join the debate team after that.

  5. #15
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    So in theory, you cannot debate if you have opposing points of views?

    I see debating as the filtering of both parties' ideas.
    Oh I can, very much so. In fact, I prefer it, because what is there to enrich my own pov if we do agree on everything? I like hearing someone elses pov, sharing my own and finding common ground, and work from there onwards. Which means that you have a base to start a synthesis of both your inputs on. From there on, logical arguments, as well as values can be taken into account to expand your own pov with the other person's reasonings. And they can do the same, and we do not have to agree along the way. Each others interpretations will be enough to actually inspire new thoughts and ideas or see that we did indeed miss a step, and they might actually have a point to see it that way, and then you can in fact incorporate that thoughtpattern. I enjoy working as mutual sounding boards for each others reasonings and views of the world.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  6. #16
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    INTJs - I love when my INTJ friends like to talk to me about their work issues (coding, intelligent AI, for example) and hash them out with me. It's not debating but still.. melding of minds. Mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Through debating the ENFPs, I actually ended up changing my entire stance on several personal topics, despite appearing stubbornly adherent to a single position (as I like to perform a complete check for all theoretical holes prior to adopting a different view).

    I was surprised to discover my ENFP comrades felt the same way when I thanked them for helping me shed those old, ineffective ideas. Call it an unexpected learning experience. Our differences frequently paves the road to newer insights.
    Me too! I my INTJ friends. They are my favorite people to have intellectual discussions with - they are so civil and laid back when discussing a subject even while we both hold strong to our respective positions. I always learn something new and really unexpected after a discussion. Last night, after several hours of animated discussion, one of my favorite INTJ peeps and I ended up saying this to each other -- "it's always so much fun talking with you, you take those intuitive leaps with me but your process of getting there is SO different from mine - it's fascinating."

    I always walk away with a new perspective on the topic. Some real 'aha' moments happen with the INTJs...I love it!

    I also enjoy debate as a sport. I noticed recently that I have surrounded myself with very opinionated men and women. The exceptions are the INFPs and one INFJ (the rest enjoy it esp if they are high Ti) who are generally conflict-avoidant so they don't like going very far with the debate. I'm far more careful around them and don't push them like I would other people. Debate with a well-informed opponent gives me such an adrenalin rush...it's a great exercise.

    A special spot is reserved for peeps who can go back and forth between trying to pull my argument to shreds in a "take no prisoners" kind of fashion and expressing their silly side

  7. #17
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post

    A special spot is reserved for peeps who can go back and forth between trying to pull my argument to shreds in a "take no prisoners" kind of fashion and expressing their silly side
    So true for me too. I love it when a debate gets really heated, and then someone does something light-hearted and ridiculous to bring everyone back to center.

    As long as a debate doesn't involve personal insults(and then I get all sensitive and want to cry), I absolutely love the heat and rush of intellectual sparing.

  8. #18
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    In my experience, NFPs love to debate, but just have a different style from my own. No less valid.

  9. #19
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    In my experience, NFPs love to debate, but just have a different style from my own. No less valid.
    Different, how?

    You knew I was going to ask...

  10. #20
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Different, how?

    You knew I was going to ask...
    Oh goodness... I can't possibly suss out all the specifics... A lot more words, I guess... to seem nicer? I don't know. I can be gabby when I am just conversing, but when debating I use as few words as possible in each sentence to be concise and understood (and often get called cold because of it.)

    Also, you guys tend to concede more? Meaning, starting a counterargument with "that's a valid point" and other things that I would consider to be filler and a waste of time.

    There is a tendency to chastise or remind me that "not all x's are that way, you know", when I think that point is already clear and need not be stated. This always reads as patronizing to me, even though I know that is not always the intent.

    I don't know. I guess you guys just seem to go out of your way to be nice, while I go out of my way to be precise. Either way, the differences lie in the packaging but not the content, in most cases.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] Get your Grinch on.
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 01:43 AM
  2. [MBTItm] Thriving off of conflict, debates, and/or proving your point?
    By cogdecree in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
  3. [MBTItm] New graduate. All my "mentors" are idiots, and looking to get on a power trip. Help!
    By mysavior in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
  4. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO