• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Cynical INFPs

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a little bit cynicism and optimism combined. I hate humans but maybe, just maybe we'll evolve into happy tree hugging fairies one day. :wubbie:

I also can be very sarcastic but not really in a negative tone.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cynical? Only if the people are worth bothering let it be seen. It's easier to stay chill to the world and wall them out.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm sarcastic and cynical in my mind like 24/7, mostly because I think it's funny and it actually sort of lightens my mood. Otherwise, I'd be like, "Ooooh, look at the flowers growing along the sidewalk, aching for life despite their tragic circumstances. Everything in our world revolves around life and death, and you can neither define it as good or bad, evil or . . . " Yadda yadda, more sappy prose. It's excruciating.

I can also be sarcastic & cynical when I'm with really good friends, because they already know me and know that I don't mean any harm by it or anything.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can relate. I don't get mistaken for other types, because I don't know anyone who types, but my 'public' face is very cool, and probably seems arrogant/superior at first blush. This is a calculated self-protective measure; once you get to know me, I'm very inviting and open to contact.
inside I'm often cynical, and value logic highly (mostly as a 'checking' function for intuition).

^This completely.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I'm an INFP but I frequently get mistaken for INTP or even ENTP due to my cynical nature, high valuation of logic and my dry and ironical/sarcastic sense of humour.

Can any other INFPs or even other NFs relate?

*nods head*

bluebreads

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
There was a stage in my life where I was cynical and sarcastic all the time (the terrible teens) and now that I am in my twenties...I feel sorry for my family and friends for having to deal with that.

Nowadays I have been told that my humor and stance towards life is still somewhat dry and cynical but in a considerably lighter way. Most people don't think I'm serious or that I am just being outrageous for entertainment purposes...which is true to some extent but sometimes not. :D

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm an INFP but I frequently get mistaken for INTP or even ENTP due to my cynical nature, high valuation of logic and my dry and ironical/sarcastic sense of humour.

Can any other INFPs or even other NFs relate?
The Swedes say hund. It is hound in English.
The Greeks write it kyo:n.
In some old Greek dialects, it sounds exactly like the Swedish hund.
Even today.

Who betrays the faithful?
Not the faithful.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was a stage in my life where I was cynical and sarcastic all the time (the terrible teens) and now that I am in my twenties...I feel sorry for my family and friends for having to deal with that.

Nowadays I have been told that my humor and stance towards life is still somewhat dry and cynical but in a considerably lighter way. Most people don't think I'm serious or that I am just being outrageous for entertainment purposes...which is true to some extent but sometimes not. :D

The teens are the worst :yes:

Agnosco311

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
I've always had a threshold for cynicism/sarcasm but it wasn't very developed at a young age. I think I started out earlier in life being too trusting, optimistic and naive and the combination of certain life events (breakups, best friend betrayal, and door to door sales "refusal") and hanging out with too many people of the SJ temperament... I think I got jaded, felt like somewhat of an outsider, even amongst some of my "best friends" and thats when my cynicism/sarcasm started really unfolding. I think my coworkers and friends would describe me as optimistic and having a great sense of humor (but my job is stressful and everybody can get pretty negative and I usually take a devil's advocate role and counter whatever the "popular" mood is of wherever I am, I guess thats pretty damn cynical in a way too haha) but I initially think pretty negative about things and use humor in a way that allows me to make fun of the negative. I exhibit more teen angst in my mid twenties than I ever did as a teen haha but I'm slowly making my way out of it. Being pissed and cynical is overrated I'm finding out...

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
Yep, I am very sarcastic often. It's only when I'm trying to gain some sort of enjoyment out of an otherwise non-enjoyable situation. What I mean is, my sarcasm is only there to help, heh.

wittySynonym

MBTI Type
AWSM
Enneagram
Balz
Isn't cynicism simply the propensity to question? So shouldn't, we in fact be cynical. I mean if foolishness and lies aren't questioned they become accepted as wisdom and truth.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Sarcasm.jpg

I am only partially joking.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nonsense. All INFPs are cute and bubbly. We see the world in brighter colors and empathize with the chairs we sit on.

You're all a bunch of fakes.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Isn't cynicism simply the propensity to question? So shouldn't, we in fact be cynical. I mean if foolishness and lies aren't questioned they become accepted as wisdom and truth.

No, that's skepticism. My best definition for cynicism is an inability to enjoy whimsy unironically.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, that's skepticism. My best definition for cynicism is an inability to enjoy whimsy unironically.

I'm not a big fan of enjoying everything in an ironic context, especially whimsy, which I find genuinely delightful :cheese:

I'd go with this definition:
bitterly or sneeringly distrustful, contemptuous, or pessimistic

That might include a contemptuous view of whimsy for some, but for others it may just be a dejected idealism that has left them expecting the worst and not trusting anything/anyone because of it.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
cynical-check
negative-check
mean spirited-check
crass-check

What can i say, i'm moody and it takes being harsh to deal w/the thinker types sometimes...especially those who presume you won't respond and assume you'll take all their shit. But all in all, this doesn't last. I have my momentarily bitchy outbursts, poor sw can attest lol But otherwise i'm genuine at heart, caring, empathetic and optimistic like no other.

Last edited:

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I find that even the slightest criticism or disagreement can send my fragile optimism into an irrecoverable pessimism. It's like bursting a bubble. Then I'm back to my sarcastic, skeptical self again. I find this happens a lot when I try to 'force' my ideas on other people. If I don't concern myself with trying to force it, I can remain much more peaceful.

I also find that I really start to hate people for hating each other. That doesn't make very much sense, does it? But it does to me. :D