• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP people, what is your profession?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I've noticed that a lot of INFPs seem to do something computer related or library related. What do you people do for a living? Or if you're studying, what are you studying?

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'd love to work in a book shop but my resume is too E.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Research Engineer with physics background, before that laser research physicist, before that 5+ years of physics grad school, before that math+physics double major in college.
Have also been: tutor, outdoor guide, camp counselor, teaching assistant, dog sitter, some other stuff.

Unless you secretly hate being an F and/or REALLY wish you were NTJ I don't recommend what I've done to INFP's, or any NF, or any F for that matter. With that said, I think INFJ's would have the best shot of making it through. INFJ's are considered the most T-like of all the F's. At my workplace of ~100 people, I know of only 2 NF's. It gets lonely, and very depressing.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm planning on becoming a screenwriter and/or musician.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm in highschool, but I want to be a child psychologist.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
i work in human resources, research assist and write at the moment. ill probably end up working in fashion or psychology in the next few years though.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm in a state of transition at the moment but I have one leg in the film/television industry. I've just recently been doing some (unpaid) work as an assistant editor for a low-budget feature film.

So yeah, I'm in the computer category.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm studying psychology with a minor in film editing ^^, but Im going to be switching the minor to english literature I think...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm studying psychology with a minor in criminal justice. Said minor is a really good one for psychology since you can do criminal profiling etc.

But if all goes well then I'll be a shrink or a mediator. If that doesn't work out then I'll probably do some other form of clinical psychology. I've been interested in doing this for years... since before I learned typology (that's a reason why I did, an interest in psychology).

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Computer programmer.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Currently an unarmed private security officer, just because I needed a job. It's a surprisingly good fit; I've kept on doing it from sheer inertia, much longer than any other job I've ever had, even though the pay is crap.

Some of my past jobs, which I don't necessarily recommend for INFPs (given that I no longer have them): dining room attendant, retail cashier, tutor, groundskeeper, university custodian, shipping & receiving clerk, office assistant, proofreader, ISP tech support rep, computer database programmer and high school algebra teacher.

So. Yeah. Seems like most jobs really need an E, S, T and/or J -- or maybe I've just been trying the wrong ones? I didn't know my type even though I took the MBTI several times, because my results were diffuse and changeable, which I now realize is typical of an enneagrammatic 9.

Fortunately, I've become more empathetic, tactful, mundanely communicative and emotionally resilient over the years, actualizing more of my type's potential while minimizing some less-healthy tendencies. I feel pretty good about my chances in taking on a more challenging (and rewarding) job again. Any suggestions for what to try next?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Graphic Designer (print design)

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a manager at a business. I'm involved in a lot of different things, and work with people from nearly every department/division, since it's a small business, from IT to Marketing.

Before that, I have worked as a writing tutor during college, interned at a Senator's office (local office which was very, very slow-paced!), worked as a receptionist & administrative assistant, was an educational administrator at a college (review transcripts, set up schedules for students, etc.), worked as an IT assistant at a college (setting up computers, very basic stuff etc.), and before that I was a farmer/rancher (irrigating and bale stacking were my forte; I'd stack up to 2,000 round bales each summer).

I haven't had very INFP-type jobs. The worst, by far, was receptionist. Any job where you are at the beck and call of random people who are generally not nice (there's a reason they're calling and it isn't good) every second of every day is not a healthy environment for an introvert in any way shape or form. Avoid this at all costs. I guess I grew from this experience, or something...

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm scared to answer, because if I do, I know people will start to scrutinize my posts and find them wanting. But I'll answer anyway. It might give me a motive to start looking things over before I post them. That way I won't have to be humiliated every time I go back and read something I wrote. Now that I've got that introduction out of the way, I'll answer the question by saying that I'm an aspiring novelist (I know: how INFP of me). I've been working on my first, 4-book project since the age of 19 (I'm 22), and I just may be finished some time within the next century.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nothin to be ashamed of about that Nunki, I've been trying to write a book too, but so far I only have like... 10 pages done, and I'm already unmotivated.

Right now I'm majoring in English Literature and thinking of minoring in psychology, but I might just flip it around. I have no idea what I want to do in the future, though. I've thought of being a counselor, but I'm afraid that I'll become overwhelmed by people's troubles and get depressed all over again, lol... so I'll probably stick with English Literature...

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started as a Dance major and Japanese minor, and then flip-flopped that at the end of my sophomore year. I'm spending my senior year in Japan (I'm leaving a week from today...holy crap). Who knows what will happen after that though. As of right now, and, well, for the past few years, I have had nothing I want to do in particular. Hopefully I'll figure it out while I'm there.