User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Can INFP's trust their intuition/feelings?

When I'm around people I always feel like I'm absorbing their moods, feelings or personalities. Here's a dumb example, but maybe it'll help me make more sense: I walk up to a cashier and automatically begin taking in his body language and the way he speaks in order to pick up on how he's feeling. Based on that, I feel like I get a good reading of their personality and mood.

Do you think these judgments and assumptions are accurate in any way? I know that they're definitely never going to be 100% accurate... but it's kind of annoying, how sensitive I am to other people without knowing if the information I'm feeding myself is even halfway correct. I don't know if this is common with other people, but it's just a natural, annoying thing that happens; I can't control it. No matter what, I'm always sensitive to the way people act and the mood they give off.

(And I don't know how to end this post, so I'll just end it here, lol.)
    "So I say, live and let live. Thats my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who cant go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that your assessments are probably pretty accurate. I have the same thing, although not as extreme. The thing that you /can't/ judge is WHY they are feeling that way. If someone seems upset, I worry that it is directed towards me, even if they are just having a bad day.
    Everybody needs love.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes. You should trust your intuition, particularly in regard to people's feelings.

If you're an INFP, your intuition is very good most of the time.

You already recognize that it's not going to be accurate 100% the time, so it's not like you're trusting it blindly.

And when making decisions, you will likely balance your intuition with other kinds of information.

Whatever you do, don't listen to people who think that intuition is untrustworthy.

They have no idea what they're talking about.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Ditto. Find it hard to be around a lot of people for this reason, too much to take in.

And trust, you pick it up and interperet with good reason. Unless you're weird...
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Yes and no. I am working out when I can trust it and when my prejudices/panic mode get in the way. I guess the trick is knowing what really is intuition and what is just useless information distracting you.

BTW read the book Blink on this matter. Its a really fascinating book that claims you should trust your intuition.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yes.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, not everyone proceeds with social interaction based on their emotions, so don't use these feelings for everything. However, I'm sure your Fi and Ni are sharp and correct in these situations.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

Here's my question, do you recognize when you are having a burst of intuition? I typically receive, act upon intuition and not realize it until after the fact. Sometimes hours later! But in the end it typically seems to be fairly accurate.
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Thanks you guys, I feel a lot more reassured now. And I'm definitely going to look in to that book, Southern.

As for when I recognize my bursts of intuition, I think it's sort of an ongoing process. Like I'll be talking to someone and absorbing their feelings/moods at the same time, and later when I'm alone I may dwell on the same thing.

And it's hard for me to be around a lot of people for long lengths of time too, Lithium. Once I become more secure with myself I think it'll be better, because I usually end up thinking "oh, they're mad, it must be because of me" even though I know that that's not logical at all.

INFP's have it tough, lol.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thats my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who cant go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Yes.
    ^ This.

Take in all the relevant information to avoid failures based on lack of logical application, then trust that inner voice.

Sometimes run with that inner voice.