• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Getting Along With ESFJ's

WieldingTheSword

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
How do you guys (all NFs) get along with ESFJ's? My roommate is an ESFJ, and recently she set me off pretty badly for two main reasons:

1. No respect or understanding of my privacy. She constantly wants to know where I'm going, where I went, what I did all day, what my conversation with so-and-so was about. She opens my bedroom door in the morning without asking or even knocking sometimes. She asks me what I'm thinking about at times. She doesn't seem to comprehend the need I have to keep some things private about myself. She seems insulted by my unwillingness to attend every, single social event and talk to every, single person. The time I spend alone seems to completely baffle her.

2. She tries to be my mother. She has a constant need to control, manipulate, and demand. She nags and treats me like a child, commenting on my driving-- when I should put on my breaks, what lane I need to be in, where I'm going, even when I know. She cleans obsessively, and when I try to help, she freaks out if I don't do it right, and barks commands about HOW to do it, which REALLY doesn't sit well with me, since it makes me feel demeaned and humiliated and defeated; there was no way to meet her standards.

Her mother tendencies are the worst, though, when she tries to give me advice (which is all of the time). It's always black and white, rigid, and limited in perspective. There is only one way to do it, and it's her's. I recently told her all about a possible new relationship, and despite me telling her I want to be sure to be wise, careful, and slow about it, she proceeded a few minutes later to tell me how I need to be wise, careful, and slow! It's as if she didn't hear a word I just said! It seems there is no way the relationship could be right in any form. To top it off, I hear her tell me to do/ not do things that are contrary to her own relationship with her boyfriend.

Does anyone have experience with close relationships with ESFJ's? Does this sound at all familiar? How do you, as NF's, respond to this?

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Posts like these really make me wonder about how much is due to type (nature) and how much is due to nurture (parental guidance for example).

I think some people simply didn't have proper guidance about privacy and respect for other's space, and they lacked the tools to develop these ideas on their own. The latter may be due to type, but the former is about how they were brought up.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother is an ESFJ. I'm an old woman and only see her at Christmas if then, and she still has the power to drive me insane with those same behaviors you describe. I found myself chanting to myself "leave me alone leave me alone leave me alone" one visit when I was in my 40s and realized this was exactly how I felt most of my life, I had just not said it to myself since I was about 17 and left home. We got into arguments because she would go into my closet in what was supposed to be "my" room while I was there for a visit, and wash my clothes, and it embarrassed me that she was in there picking up my underwear. She can't get my reaction and accuses me of ingratitude. And so it goes.

I don't know what to tell you but I feel ya.

Jaded Idealist

MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother is an ESFJ in the same vein as you describe. And my dad is ESTJ. Matters are further complicated by the fact that English is my first language but only their second, since we are an immigrant family.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
My mother is an ESTJ. I try and stear clear of SJ types in general because I find that I am typically too far out there for them and my self-esteem plummets in their hypercritical presence.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
My mother is an ESFJ and my ex of 4 years is an ESFJ. I relate to you so well right now it's not even funny. I find it difficult to stand my mother for long periods of time and well the ex is an ex....so I haven't a solution for you. Run?

It's really a clash of values in this dynamic and in a battle of wills the ESFJ will always win until the INFP goes fucking insane and throws in the towel much to the control freak ESFJ's dismay.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is all too familiar to me! My mother and my sister are both ESFJ.

Both of these ESFJs have always been trying to change my room (and nowadays my own apartment) and move my furniture, etc. When I tell them "No, this as it is works the best for me", they aren't getting it. Once, after a twenty-minute repetition of "No." I had to let my sister rearrange my furniture. When she left, I immediately moved everything as they were. They are utterly intrusive.

Everything that happens to my sister I hear from my mother. I've told her that I'd rather hear about my sister's life from herself, because whenever I meet her (we live very close by), our discussions are like: "I know, mom already told me". She also tells everything I say to my sister, so it works both ways. Sometimes I think she's living her life through other people, because she doesn't seem to have anything to talk about her own life.

If I'd send a work/school application or something else like that, I'd be rather calm and cool waiting for the result. Maybe it has something to do with me being an INFJ (preventing big disappointments). However, both of these ESFJs take every frickin' application or moments like that in my life and get 100 times more excited than I am. I like to get support, but what they are doing actually upsets me! I'd like them to feel the things in my life, but not to exceed my own feelings by a thousand miles. It always feels as if they were living my life instead of me.

I've recently noticed something... they both have been hanging up the phone if I have managed to upset them somehow. Is it an ESFJ thing to do? For example, my sister called me and requested for help. I couldn't help her at the time, so she got so mad she hang up the phone and I was cut mid-sentence.

Neither of them really listens to what I'm saying. It's like they have a filter that blocks everything that's even slightly unusual. Both of them think they know me, but they can't know me if they don't really listen to me. They treat me like a generic guy, even though I'm quite eccentric in many ways. They both give me the most generic advice that would apply to the most ordinary people, but not to me who has different values.

As funny as it may sound, I think (at least these two) ESFJs are extremely self-centered. As primary Fe, they might seem the opposite of self-centered, but that's exactly how I see them. They don't take no for an answer, even when they're the ones offering the help, and they get very upset when things don't go their way. Usually they don't even ask others how things should go as they just force others into their ways.

I can't help but like my mom, but she really drove me insane. I was just a kid when I first told my friends that I'm gonna move out as soon as the first opportunity arises.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I have to say that I love these guys. I have a group of students (a group of three), two of which are ESFJ. It's so much fun to work with them. We complement each other so well in the group - it's really great.

My grandmother is also ExFJ...and although some things she does drives me bat-shit crazy, I have to admit I love her practical intelligence tempered with a healthy mix of intuition (Ni). It really complements my weaknesses and helps me grow.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Everything that happens to my sister I hear from my mother. I've told her that I'd rather hear about my sister's life from herself, because whenever I meet her (we live very close by), our discussions are like: "I know, mom already told me". She also tells everything I say to my sister, so it works both ways. Sometimes I think she's living her life through other people, because she doesn't seem to have anything to talk about her own life.

^ This. It's frustrating and deflating. Not to mention I don't really want to hear all of the bad things people did. Both my mom and sister are ESFJ's. My mom sounds similar to your post and it can be difficult to deal with. I have learned to ignore it and not fall into the traps she sets. I don't think she is a really healthy person. My sister on the other hand is awesome! She may not 'get' me the way other people would but she is nothing like my 'overly emotional, makes it a point to stomp out dinner because that means she won' mom.

So if your roommate is like my mom run! If your roommate is like my sister, she means well but if you talk to her kindly and tell her what the problem is she'll genuinely try to accommodate you. She may have her feelings hurt for a minute but she'll come around and see it from your perspective. At least it's that way with my sister Good luck:)

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother is an unhealthy esfj. I cringe at the thought of all this.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm. My ESFJ friend likes sarcasm and my cooking creations. She seems to like it when I engage her in conversation. But I totally see how they can get annoying, because they do get annoying.

sade

Sigh, this thread reminds me too much of some bad dealings with certain folks. ESFJ's in general haven't caused me trouble. The trouble has arisen from individuals who can't handle the intuition and sucky Si.

By what you wrote I don't think a conversation or trying to make her understand your views by explaining them in terms that she'd get, would work all that well, since she doesn't hear it. There's the chance of trying to wear her down by constantly repeating something (Don't go through my stuff. Do. not. go. through. my stuff. Don't.) without giving into her attempts at explaining, untill she gives in and stops the behavior. Avoiding the interactions that grate on you.. sometimes distancing works best, even if it's a roommate we're talking about.
After moving out, it took me a long time to get my ESTJ aunty and ISTJ mom to back off and let me have my privacy and do things the way I wanted to do them. Their explanations for the behavior were mostly rational ("We're just doing this to help you, wouldn't it be easier to accept help?")and to an extent guilting. I'd believe an ESFJ to possibly use a different reasoning, so no real help from me on that side.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
My mom is an ESFJ and she's alot like that, though she's learned to back off a bit over the years.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It depends. I have a few good ESFJ friends, but I they're actually healthy people. Unhealthy ESFJs will drive me up a wall. I can't take it- the incessant want of information that has absolutely no significance to their life and their strange "I'm the leader even if nobody follows me" attitude only annoys me.

I've been able to get along with ESFJ males, but I don't think I've ever had any sort of friendship with an ESFJ female; the ones I've met are rather shallow at times.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Healthy ESFJs are actually awesome as fuck.

Especially physically healthy ones. rowr.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
the incessant want of information that has absolutely no significance to their life

Haha. Reminds me of my ESFJ mom. She always wants the most insignificant details on everything. People have said it drives them nuts. She's a really bad storyteller too, because she never gets to the point. When she finally gets to the point (usually when prompted by others), people have become so bored with her that they're not even listening anymore. And she doesn't even expect any input from other other people. I have literally put my phone on the table while she's on the line talking. Then I went to wash some dishes, etc. and then I came back and checked if she was still on the line. Yes, she was still there talking and she hadn't noticed I was gone. :D

Few days ago I called her and she said she can't talk to me right now, because she's expecting an important phone call. I said: "Okay, call me later then?". At that point the phone call had lasted about 10 seconds. Everything necessary was said. How she managed to spend over 10 minutes after that explaining to me how she can't talk right now is beyond me and utterly hilarious, yet frustrating... and it was me who ended the phone call. She might have gone forever and ultimately she would have missed her call.

Well, healthy versions of any type can be nice people... I have to deal with unhealthy types.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have a giant flyswatter for when my OCD-driven neatfreak mom blows into town. Usually ignoring her until she calms down works.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Neither of them really listens to what I'm saying. It's like they have a filter that blocks everything that's even slightly unusual. Both of them think they know me, but they can't know me if they don't really listen to me. They treat me like a generic guy, even though I'm quite eccentric in many ways. They both give me the most generic advice that would apply to the most ordinary people, but not to me who has different values.

As funny as it may sound, I think (at least these two) ESFJs are extremely self-centered. As primary Fe, they might seem the opposite of self-centered, but that's exactly how I see them.

I adore my ESFJ grandma for many reasons, but all of this sounds just like her. The listening thing just kills me. I know my grandma loves me a lot and I am very important to her, but sometimes I feel like she has no idea who I really am. I find ESFJs possibly the worst type at grasping "different" personalities. There's a prescribed way of being for them, and anything outside of that is unappreciated and rejected. Since my grandma loves me, she does this glossing over of my personality, much as she does with anything I say in conversation. I'll finish speaking and she'll just talk about some painfully mundane topic as if she didn't hear one word I said :doh:

Everything my grandma knows about me comes from my ISFJ mom. They both looooove to talk about people's lives, more so than talk to people about their lives :huh:.

Haha. Reminds me of my ESFJ mom. She always wants the most insignificant details on everything. People have said it drives them nuts. She's a really bad storyteller too, because she never gets to the point. When she finally gets to the point (usually when prompted by others), people have become so bored with her that they're not even listening anymore. And she doesn't even expect any input from other other people. I have literally put my phone on the table while she's on the line talking. Then I went to wash some dishes, etc. and then I came back and checked if she was still on the line. Yes, she was still there talking and she hadn't noticed I was gone. :D

This is my ESFJ grandma. She is perfectly content to talk nonstop about absolutely freaking nothing and not get any actual feedback. In fact, if you try and respond, she'll steamroll over you. It is not a conversation. She simply thinks out-loud and expects an audience :doh:

The way I get along with ESFJs: let them yack on. All you have to do is nod and smile. If they ask you anything, give the briefest, most straightforward answer possible. They will disregard it and hear what they want to hear anyway. Bond over shared experiences. Most xSFJs have a huge sense of nostalgia, and remembering past times makes them very happy. Oh, and give them lots of hugs and call them all the time (and let them yack), and then they will think you are the most wonderful person ever.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Haha. Reminds me of my ESFJ mom. She always wants the most insignificant details on everything. People have said it drives them nuts. She's a really bad storyteller too, because she never gets to the point. When she finally gets to the point (usually when prompted by others), people have become so bored with her that they're not even listening anymore. And she doesn't even expect any input from other other people.

haha, totally! My mom will go on and on about her work and tangent into different details moreso than I will and just absolutely lose people, including me (because I don't have enough interest in it). She's a receptionist for a health insurance place so we don't understand half of what she's talking about anyway so it's hard to keep up when she's trying to explain technical stuff because of course a few minutes' explanation won't do.

What a pleasant surprise it was for me to find out she didn't care if I was truly listening or not! haha. :newwink: She just wants someone to rant to. :doh:

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My mom is an ESFJ. We get along because we have similar humor, similar depth, and similar values. We generally fight over P/J stuff. She wants me to clean my room, I forget, she takes it personally. Etc. Sometimes I feel like she nitpicks, overplans, and overreacts. She sometimes feels like I don't take things seriously enough.