• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP's and Decisions

WieldingTheSword

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
To the ENFP, is making decisions incredibly difficult for you?

I have a really good friend/near boyfriend who struggles with decisions almost constantly. When they are small decisions, he over-analyzes and trips up over REALLY basic principles of the situation. When they are big decisions, he is extremely burdened by the weight of them. His mind is running 200 mph, and as he considers every possibility, he will change his mind moment by moment and can sometimes completely break over the pressure. At the same time, he strongly believes that it is important to be able to make good, wise, quick decisions.

Is this a common problem for you guys, too?

enfp1091

MBTI Type
ENFP
For me, that isn't the way I make decisions. I just make a decision by how I feel about it. I don't really think too much if that's a good or bad decision.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm terrible at making decisions. I do over-analyze little things, and when faced with a big decision it is really tough sometimes because I usually find out what all of my options are when presented with a situation, which makes for a lot of thinking.

I am pretty indecisive, too. Sometimes I'll put off making a decision until the very last second where I'll have to just go with one of them, whether I like it or not.

FML.

Artichoke

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm worse with small decisions than big ones. like, what do i eat today??? arrr, i don't know. so i con other people into deciding for me. big decisions because of their innate bigness, i generally have more time to 'to and fro' as you might say, so i get all that out of my system, but i can generally decide on the right one eventually. usually on time as well.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
To the ENFP, is making decisions incredibly difficult for you?

I have a really good friend/near boyfriend who struggles with decisions almost constantly. When they are small decisions, he over-analyzes and trips up over REALLY basic principles of the situation. When they are big decisions, he is extremely burdened by the weight of them. His mind is running 200 mph, and as he considers every possibility, he will change his mind moment by moment and can sometimes completely break over the pressure. At the same time, he strongly believes that it is important to be able to make good, wise, quick decisions.

Is this a common problem for you guys, too?

Does he have ADD?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
It's not so much that ENFPs have hard time making decisions it's that ENFPs are terrified of making the wrong decision and it's irreversible and *forever*. :shudder:

I think once an ENFP gets more experience making decisions and having to deal with the outcome the better and more efficient they get at making decisions.

I think the crux of immaturity in any type is not wanting to deal with the consequences of your own actions.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I make quick decisions with a lot of things. But anything I can research I do a LOT of research. For example, I'll read a lot of reviews and shop around when making a major purchase. I may wait for a few months to see whether I really want it or it was just a passing desire.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Decisions are never as hard as we make them out to be, imo. :laugh: Mine get pretty hard.. but honestly, the bigger the decision it seems like, the easier it is for me to come to a resolution. Smaller decisions tend to bother me more than major ones.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i make big impulsive decisions all the time but if given time i'll research the hell out of it first...but they're not easy either way...too much time and i'll confuse myself...not enough and i'm not sure if i made the right one and it drives me nuts.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
im the opposite.

i delay decision making as long as possible. and i make the decision the last second. sometimes my decisions are made for me situationally because some options refuse to wait. in that situation, its really easy to make a tough decision and i have no regrets then. because obviously, if that option didn't wait for me, then it wasn't meant to be bc they didn't want to wait as much as the other option.

i love pressure. i wouldn't be able to do anything if it wasn't for pressure. it makes me thrive.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
For me, it has little to do with indecisiveness, and a lot to do with not limiting possibilities. I get the line from an INFJ friend, "you know the answer so say it". If it is a better case scenario to not make the decision, I don't make it. Doesn't mean it isn't clear as day inside my head. NFJs tend to like snap decisions. I tend to think if it doesn't need to be decided instantly and damages nothing to look into it, why not wait.

On the randomly choosing things part, and looking confused. Look at the function descriptions, Ne types float ideas. It's just habit. It plays out the scenario of choosing that, like a trial run of the choice. Call it a real world consequences test :).

D_Marx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have to make quick decisions to avoid thinking about the reasoning behind something. I have even worse, indecisive friends, so I end up having to make the restaurant choices and then have to deal with the criticism if things don't go according to plan. Same with movies.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't think I'm indecisive at all. Usually the best option sticks out like a sore thumb whether it's because it is in line with my Fi or because it's simply the more beneficial and practical approach. The bigger the decision the easier it is usually.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I am completely wishy-washy.. Probably doubt myself waay too much.

Must be the 'P' for possibilities.. I want it all!:unsure: :smile:

dotdalidot

MBTI Type
UFO
I'm not an enfp(or am I? o.o) but I have this too. I'm extremely indecisive. I've developed this habit where I have to think of ALL possibilities before I decide, and I also tend to delay decisions and research them beforehand sometimes. This applies to small, medium, and big decisions alike.

It's not so much that ENFPs have hard time making decisions it's that ENFPs are terrified of making the wrong decision and it's irreversible and *forever*. :shudder:

Yeah, this is pretty much the only reason why I hate making decisions.

I think the crux of immaturity in any type is not wanting to deal with the consequences of your own actions.

I agree, I think my situation stems from this, which points to my immaturity. So sad :cry:, I'm definitely trying to work on it though. :(

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
When I was younger, I was completely unable to make decisions.

I was paralyzed with fear of how my decisions would affect others -- and that the outcome of my decisions would be irreversible.

I've made some significant improvements, but, at age 34, I still have a long way to go.

The more I get in touch with what really matters to me, the more willing I am to make decisions.

The more decisive I become, the more at peace I am with myself, which ultimately makes me more at peace with others.

Unfortunately, I'm at a difficult stage right now, where I'm starting make bolder decisions, but I'm still living in fear of people's reactions.

I'm in defense-mode most of the time, and it really isn't doing me any good.

I would like people to be patient with me, and to try a little understanding.

And I want to be appreciated.

But I'm starting to realize I can't automatically expect it.

No one owes me patience, understanding, or appreciation.

They're either willing or unwilling to give it.

All I can do is keep developing my own values, so that I won't be so dependent on the approval of others.

I think the greatest decision I ever made was to start learning to make decisions. ;)

pstar

MBTI Type
ENFP
OMG... thats so me

Im now deciding between dinner + movies with some girls vs dinner and serious talk with a bunch of older workmates.;)

I made a rash decision and now im afraid of hurting the other party if i change my mind :doh: