• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] INFP variants -- Ne dominant vs. Fi dominant

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
OK, I'm trying to really understand myself.

I see mbti as a useful tool (I know it's just a tool, and not something set in stone), but it's not really helping me because there are some things that don't quite make sense.

I test as INTP and INFP. I also relate to certain aspects of the descriptions of both. My closest friends end up being INTP's (because I usually end befriending the other quirky loners) but when I encounter NF types, I can relate to them in ways that I can't with my NT friends.

I think i might be an INFP, but two things are bothering me:

1. I don't relate to the INFP stereotypes at all.

The stereotype is either

a) Fluffy bunnies who fart cookies and rainbows :heart:

or

b) Whiny, emos wallowing in a puddle of tears. :boohoo:

Both of these stereotypes are Fi related in some way, and my Fi just doesn't seem so strong. I know that some people are only joking when they mention these stereotypes, but they are so frequent, I wonder if people actually start to believe them ?

2. I think that Ne is my dominant function.It seems like I use intuition in place of Fi in many occasions. For example, when I listen to my favorite music, it can take me away to an impressionistic moonlit dreamland, and it creates this wonderful sensation in me. But I'm not so much concerned with the music's emotion but its mood/atmosphere/the fantastic dreamscape that it transports me to.

Can I just be an INFP with dominant Ne and a much weaker Fi?

Little_Sticks

OK, I'm trying to really understand myself.
Can I just be an INFP with dominant Ne and a much weaker Fi?

No, because if your primary instinct is to use your introverted feeling first followed by extroverted intuition in an unfamiliar setting, then you might still use Ne, but it takes place after Fi is used.

If you preferred Ne first in an unfamiliar setting, then you would be an ENFP. I suppose you could alternate between and really be both though if you are close on the extroversion/introversion.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
No, because if your primary instinct is to use your introverted feeling first followed by extroverted intuition in an unfamiliar setting, then you might still use Ne, but it takes place after Fi is used.

If you preferred Ne first in an unfamiliar setting, then you would be an ENFP. I suppose you could alternate between and really be both though if you are close on the extroversion/introversion.

Ha, I am most definitely I. My highest scores are I and N (100% N always).

It's the T/F axis that creates the ambiguity. I come out as either a weak T or a weak F, depending on the test I take.

P.S.

Little Sticks, you seem to be in a similar position as I actually, since you put yourself as INtP. I tend to come across as too cold, analytical, logical with NF's, while with NT's my ability to understand and take emotions into consideration is baffling. Although the more emotional NF types baffle me as well.

Maybe there should be a website for INXP's...

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Maybe there should be a website for INXP's...

Well, since NT - NF 'conflicts' are central to this place, this may be the place you're after. - meaning that those frequent conflists point to an affinity rather than a true distate, imo. Thinker and Feelers need each other.

As far as INFP stereotypes, ignore them. Some talk to fairies, some drink bourbon and have tatoos; there may even be a few who do both.
Anyway, a well balanced person will have strong T and F, so maybe you're more balanced than you realize, which is a great thing for you.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is Fi to you? You seem greatly mistaken in your understanding of it. The INFP stereotypes are just plain awful.

One Day

MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
You can take the cognitive processes test to see how each of your functions stack up. (linky)

And yes the INFP descriptions are usually waaaay off.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I test INTP a lot also, and I feel this way too about some aspects of the INFP profiles, and many other INFPs have expressed that frustration. I actually like the INFP profile, but I felt some deficiency in not being "nice" enough for it....then I understood the difference between Fi and Ti.

First, know that Fi does not equal emotion, but it's a value based thought process that takes into account emotions, whereas the Ti the INTPs posses involves a more objective analysis.

If you haven't, read:

The Introvert of Feeling Type

The Introvert of Thinking Type

Have you tried a cognitive functions test? That may help you see how the different functions work and what is likely your dominant function. I like this one below, because the questions almost serve as explanations for how the functions work.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

Being very imaginative in response to music (or anything) sounds like any NF.

And finally, from Jung's Typology:

Personality: The Individuation ... - Google Books

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
If you read these two descriptions (from bestfittype.com), I guarantee you will relate to one of them more than the other :yes::

INTP

INFP

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great idea for a thread, I know I've explored INTP before in the same vein (there are a few dominant types I've run across -- one is the Ti+Ne, one is Ne+Ti, and one is Ti+Si). Ne-focused INTPs look and play differently than Ti-focused INTPs.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
If you read these two descriptions (from bestfittype.com), I guarantee you will relate to one of them more than the other :yes::

INTP

INFP

I like these two.

These two descriptions seem well balanced compared to some of the others that I've read. I identify with everything in the INTP one, but the ethics focus of the INFP one also rings very very true to me. While I come across as unemotional myself, I've always been cognizant of the feelings (emotions,ethics,values) beneath the surface in my human interactions. If I had to choose one at gunpoint, it would be the INTP, but the INFP one....aaargh :doh: :spam_laser: :9436:

Great idea for a thread, I know I've explored INTP before in the same vein (there are a few dominant types I've run across -- one is the Ti+Ne, one is Ne+Ti, and one is Ti+Si). Ne-focused INTPs look and play differently than Ti-focused INTPs.

Absolutely. The INTP's I get along with seem to be the Ne-dominants as opposed to the Ti dominants. We can really go wild with our theories, and ideas. Just conjuring them up and bouncing them off each other. One Ne-dominant INTP also shared my interest in taking nature pictures (not just a hobby, but a genuine passion) and Romantic poetry (Keats, Shelley, Wordsworth etc.)

To OrangeAppled:

Thank you. I feel that it's my misunderstanding of Fi that is at the heart of my dilemma. Fi you say deals with values primarily, but it just happens to take emotion into consideration. Yet from reading online forums, it seems like many INFP's when they talk about their Fi, make it seem like a very emotion-driven thing as opposed to a ethics-driven one. I suppose these people have misunderstood Fi themselves ?

Take astro-physics for example. My passion for the subject has little to do with Ti, but more about the mood/atmosphere/feeling? that is conjured inside when I reflect about the the awesome (awesome as in as in awe inspiring, not the Californian surfing dude awesome) beauty of the universe. Could this be a form of Fi too ?

Ambrosia

MBTI Type
INFP
The INFP type seems to be the most prone to doubt their type, and I don't think it's our habit of over-thinking things that has been suggested to me time and time again. As been said already by many of the other members, I find many descriptions of INFPs to be a gross misrepresentation. Jung himself, the man who conceptualized the cognitive processes, didn't even fully understand how Fi worked.

Also, do you think it's at all possible that Fi is just something that is so natural for you, you don't even realize when you're using it?

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
The INFP type seems to be the most prone to doubt their type, and I don't think it's our habit of over-thinking things that has been suggested to me time and time again. As been said already by many of the other members, I find many descriptions of INFPs to be a gross misrepresentation. Jung himself, the man who conceptualized the cognitive processes, didn't even fully understand how Fi worked.

Also, do you think it's at all possible that Fi is just something that is so natural for you, you don't even realize when you're using it?

Ah...so the decision-making function is key. I use logic to make decisions but I take into account ethics, morality, and my emotions as well.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To OrangeAppled:

Thank you. I feel that it's my misunderstanding of Fi that is at the heart of my dilemma. Fi you say deals with values primarily, but it just happens to take emotion into consideration. Yet from reading online forums, it seems like many INFP's when they talk about their Fi, make it seem like a very emotion-driven thing as opposed to a ethics-driven one. I suppose these people have misunderstood Fi themselves ?

Take astro-physics for example. My passion for the subject has little to do with Ti, but more about the mood/atmosphere/feeling? that is conjured inside when I reflect about the the awesome (awesome as in as in awe inspiring, not the Californian surfing dude awesome) beauty of the universe. Could this be a form of Fi too ?

Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse Fi with pure emotion, as opposed to seeing it as a rational thought process (which it is). "Ethic-based" and "value-based" seem to be less misleading than the word "feeling".

What you are passionate about is usually something you value. Sometimes, we value what stirs an emotional reaction. If you feel awe over astro-physics, then you may initially value it for the feeling it gives you. The more you learn about it, the deeper and more refined the value becomes as it's supported by external information. In that sense, our emotions do influence our values. They can be almost like a signal to examine the worth of something. Conversely, if something repulses you, it can inspire you to develop value for its opposite.

However, I'm sure you've felt something, but then realized that emotion was "wrong", and so it did not shape your values. This is Fi working independent of emotion, because our emotions can clash with our values. So we are not totally overrun by irrational emotion.

I think INFPs are more emotionally open on the internet too, because the online anonymity and intuitive friendly environments of MBTI forums makes them feel "safe" to emote and vent. Soooo many INFPs on other forums post of being seen as aloof and cool on the surface to people in real life, not wells of emotion bubbling over.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. Hope that clarifies instead of confusing :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah...so the decision-making function is key. I use logic to make decisions but I take into account ethics, morality, and my emotions as well.

You are just being more confused by people.

Feelers use logic and such to make decisions too, but hardcore feelers don't do it as often. I go to logic first, then ethics and such. This doesn't make me an INTP.

In other words, you're an INFP like me.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Ha ha...if this confusion is so common, then I suppose I'm just another reluctant INFP. :)

As mentioned before, some of those INFP descriptions are so unflattering.

I mean it is possible for someone to be considerate of emotions and ethics, but not be emotional or irrational fuzzy little bunnies. I place a high premium on rationality and clarity. I remember when I was 8, my uncle who lived in another country, sent me a book of LSAT logic problems, and I really enjoyed solving them. At the same time, I was living in a world of fantasies and constantly off by myself making movies in my head. I even had my own Oscar awards, directors, and actors who appeared in different movies over time.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
PurpleSunset - do you also forum over at INFPGlobalChatter? Being in a forum full of alleged INFPs will help you figure out how you compare to other INFPs.

And yes, if you were Ne primary you would be ENFP, not INFP.

If this helps any - I think I'm super Ne strong and super Fi strong. The reason I know that I am not led by Fi is that when I go places and meet people I'm often inundated with vibes. I know that I am not Se dom because I don't get physical details, I don't necessarily notice things like new furniture or new glasses, I don't look at a scene like a photograph.

Rather, I feel energy and I get an overall sense of things. I really like going to public spaces to just let all that kind flow around me. That's why it's easy even as a strong 'E' to get sensory overwhelmed by my surroundings but I no longer (usually) get panicked (which I think ENFPs are prone to do) because I've just accepted that I will never fully be able to feel like I can fully encompass my external environment with my mind, if that makes?

Also, being Ne dom, I approach most situations and people with interest and expectation, I always want to know what's going on and wondering my attention in a way is always being thrown out and I am very receptive. Ne is like a two way antenna.

I feel that Fi doms are more grounded in their energy when they are out and about, if that makes sense?

I think Udog and BlackCat will probably have a lot of good comparisons to help flesh these differences out more.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There are no subtypes in MBTI. Maybe you're thinking of Socionics and don't know yet?