• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] INFP variants -- Ne dominant vs. Fi dominant

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
PurpleSunset - do you also forum over at INFPGlobalChatter? Being in a forum full of alleged INFPs will help you figure out how you compare to other INFPs.

And yes, if you were Ne primary you would be ENFP, not INFP.

If this helps any - I think I'm super Ne strong and super Fi strong. The reason I know that I am not led by Fi is that when I go places and meet people I'm often inundated with vibes. I know that I am not Se dom because I don't get physical details, I don't necessarily notice things like new furniture or new glasses, I don't look at a scene like a photograph.

Rather, I feel energy and I get an overall sense of things. I really like going to public spaces to just let all that kind flow around me. That's why it's easy even as a strong 'E' to get sensory overwhelmed by my surroundings but I no longer (usually) get panicked (which I think ENFPs are prone to do) because I've just accepted that I will never fully be able to feel like I can fully encompass my external environment with my mind, if that makes?

Also, being Ne dom, I approach most situations and people with interest and expectation, I always want to know what's going on and wondering my attention in a way is always being thrown out and I am very receptive. Ne is like a two way antenna.

I feel that Fi doms are more grounded in their energy when they are out and about, if that makes sense?

Actually, the way you talk about Ne resonates perfectly with me.

When I walk into a museum, there's a certain mood/atmosphere/vibe that I instantly detect. When I walk into a room, I can detect the dominant vibe, like if there is tension or if the people are genuinely relaxed.

When I take nature pics, it's all about the mood/atmosphere that suddenly and instantaneously arises in me from say...watching the sun bursting through the clouds in a certain way.

In all these, my Se is practically non-existent and I never actually pay attention to what's around me. It's an instantaneous and intuitive thing and I'm practically always inside my head. When I'm forced to come outside of my head and use Se, it's a different sensation all together, and I feel naked and vulnerable.

There are no subtypes in MBTI. Maybe you're thinking of Socionics and don't know yet?

Hmm...I've never looked into Socionics.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse Fi with pure emotion, as opposed to seeing it as a rational thought process (which it is). "Ethic-based" and "value-based" seem to be less misleading than the word "feeling".

I'm sure you've felt something, but then realized that emotion was "wrong", and so it did not shape your values. This is Fi working independent of emotion, because our emotions can clash with our values. So we are not totally overrun by irrational emotion.

So true, Orange.

These points are so important.

I wish more people here would understand this.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
No, because if your primary instinct is to use your introverted feeling first followed by extroverted intuition in an unfamiliar setting, then you might still use Ne, but it takes place after Fi is used.

If you preferred Ne first in an unfamiliar setting, then you would be an ENFP. I suppose you could alternate between and really be both though if you are close on the extroversion/introversion.

What about a person with function strentgh as follows : Ne Fi Si Te? or Fi Ne Te Si?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's the strength, not how the functions are used.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That's the strength, not how the functions are used.

Explain what you mean by "how" please. As in, in which cases is it used? Priority?

And what about "strength"? Is it proficiency or how often we use them?

And doesn't strength imply priority in a sense, and how often we use them?

Little_Sticks

Little Sticks, you seem to be in a similar position as I actually, since you put yourself as INtP. I tend to come across as too cold, analytical, logical with NF's, while with NT's my ability to understand and take emotions into consideration is baffling. Although the more emotional NF types baffle me as well.

Yeah, it sucks. I would really like to know which one I am and why I have the other's tendencies so I can better understand myself. But it seems we don't get that luxury. Some people think it's balanced and Jung would argue people who are closer to XXXX type are the type people should be striving to meet. But I also think that was something he valued himself since he was so interested in understanding other people and not something that is a fulfilling goal of each type.

I thought about arguing that INTP/INFP are essentially the same type, but manifest differently depending on environmental stimuli, and then I realized I was just being completely biased because of my own situation. I forget what point I was trying make here...let's see, oh yeah, there's another form of personality type assessment you might be aware of, Enneagram Type Nine, where you have a core type and can have an adjacent wing(s) that are evident. So for me I think my core type is thinking, followed by weaker valued-based thinking, so I would be a 5w4. But then again 4w5 can be pretty similar to 5w4, although I have kind of concluded I'm a bit more 5w4 then 4w5.

Well that was long.

P.S. - Edit
Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse Fi with pure emotion, as opposed to seeing it as a rational thought process (which it is). "Ethic-based" and "value-based" seem to be less misleading than the word "feeling".

What you are passionate about is usually something you value. Sometimes, we value what stirs an emotional reaction. If you feel awe over astro-physics, then you may initially value it for the feeling it gives you. The more you learn about it, the deeper and more refined the value becomes as it's supported by external information. In that sense, our emotions do influence our values. They can be almost like a signal to examine the worth of something. Conversely, if something repulses you, it can inspire you to develop value for its opposite.

However, I'm sure you've felt something, but then realized that emotion was "wrong", and so it did not shape your values. This is Fi working independent of emotion, because our emotions can clash with our values. So we are not totally overrun by irrational emotion.

Not meaning to suddenly hijack this thread from you purplesunset ;) but this is what I have incredible trouble with. Innately, I care more about the people involved in a situation being more happy than about doing what is considered the more logically, cause and effect solution where someone might think someone is to be punished for breaking rule A or B because this provides a better overall outcome. But I will see no problem exempting someone if I feel it is unnecessary for them to suffer as a result. Crap, explaining this with the right details could turn into a whole seperate thread. I have no problem breaking societal or ethical rules for individuals. Most of the time I am frustrated with people because they never want to understand why people do things, but that is what helps bring the most peace and happiness to the world. Not blanket-rules that allow the majority of people to be cold simple thinking lazy people. It's hard to explain, but sometimes I wonder if I developed my thinking side so much because I wanted so badly to make it on my own, be able to protect myself, and be able to explain to people the greater truths behind human emotions and motivations so that people can work on being more understanding and make better educated decisions with one another. But this is all very confusing for me because I love Mathematics, computers, engineering, and physics. But I love psychology and understanding people more, it's just that I have deep emotional connections to things and if I were in psychology or dealing with helping people I would crazy from my emotions. See it's so confusing because I also love engineering. I think ideally I would prefer to be an electrical engineer and feel useful creating and fixing machines and circuits and have a couple people I can explore life with intimately. But isn't that an INTP desire? *Bangs head on wall*

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Explain what you mean by "how" please. As in, in which cases is it used? Priority?

And what about "strength"? Is it proficiency or how often we use them?

And doesn't strength imply priority in a sense, and how often we use them?

In, let's say an ESTJ, they could have Te>Si>Fi>Ne. Their Ne would still be used as a tertiary, but Fi would just simply be stronger. In use though, Fi would still be an inferior and Ne would still be a tertiary.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a couple of 5w4 INFP's around. Myself included. It's not uncommon to test INXP. I'd quite like to claim INTP, but unfortuantly I have lashings of Fi, so am well and truely in the INFP camp.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
In, let's say an ESTJ, they could have Te>Si>Fi>Ne. Their Ne would still be used as a tertiary, but Fi would just simply be stronger. In use though, Fi would still be an inferior and Ne would still be a tertiary.

Yes, but what would Fi being stronger actually entail?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but what would Fi being stronger actually entail?

They'd probably be able to use it better, but it would still be used like an inferior function.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
If I'm not mistaken, many INFPs test differently and sometimes take a while to settle on the type. I'm thinking the unflattering history of INFP profiles is one culprit. Another would be the ability of INFPs to float around into different emotional and persona states depending on their environment or the people around them- they're like a sponge/emotional chameleon and like to relate to people by meeting them at their level.

That said, I think you're simply an INxP, or slightly swayed to INFP. INTP and INFP both have rigorous value and ethical systems, and they both appreciate aesthetic beauty, as you mentioned. However, you may be able to figure out which type is stronger if you consider where these values come from. Do you hold them dear because they are quite obviously the morally correct and just way of operating, or do you value them because you are a humanist and you'd like to give everyone an equal chance, as suffering is not a pleasant thing for anyone?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not meaning to suddenly hijack this thread from you purplesunset ;) but this is what I have incredible trouble with. Innately, I care more about the people involved in a situation being more happy than about doing what is considered the more logically, cause and effect solution where someone might think someone is to be punished for breaking rule A or B because this provides a better overall outcome. But I will see no problem exempting someone if I feel it is unnecessary for them to suffer as a result. Crap, explaining this with the right details could turn into a whole seperate thread. I have no problem breaking societal or ethical rules for individuals. Most of the time I am frustrated with people because they never want to understand why people do things, but that is what helps bring the most peace and happiness to the world. Not blanket-rules that allow the majority of people to be cold simple thinking lazy people. It's hard to explain, but sometimes I wonder if I developed my thinking side so much because I wanted so badly to make it on my own, be able to protect myself, and be able to explain to people the greater truths behind human emotions and motivations so that people can work on being more understanding and make better educated decisions with one another. But this is all very confusing for me because I love Mathematics, computers, engineering, and physics. But I love psychology and understanding people more, it's just that I have deep emotional connections to things and if I were in psychology or dealing with helping people I would crazy from my emotions. See it's so confusing because I also love engineering. I think ideally I would prefer to be an electrical engineer and feel useful creating and fixing machines and circuits and have a couple people I can explore life with intimately. But isn't that an INTP desire? *Bangs head on wall*

This entire paragraph screams Fi in a good way. You've hit the Fi nail on the head quite a few times. :tongue:

I don't see any reason why an INFP could not enjoy and be good at engineering. Saving the world is not the only INFP occupation :D.

Little_Sticks

This entire paragraph screams Fi in a good way. You've hit the Fi nail on the head quite a few times. :tongue:

I don't see any reason why an INFP could not enjoy and be good at engineering. Saving the world is not the only INFP occupation :D.

Yeah...I probably am an INFP...dang.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you're a 9 on the enneagram like I am, then your personality test results would be expected to be screwed up. Eventually, with enough life experience, you will see yourself more clearly and not need a test to tell you what you are.

For example, it took me a long time (and some painful mistakes) to figure out that I'm neither an INFJ nor an ENTP or whatever; I just respect the other types a lot, and so my test results were messed up by my efforts to be more like them (though I could never be mistaken for an S, no matter how much I tried). Now I finally know and like who I really I am: I'm a kaleidoscope, and I'm cool with that.

skin

MBTI Type
INFP
I have the same 'problem'. :steam:
On cognitive tests i always get Ne > Fi.
I, N, P almost always close to 100%. F/T is 50/50 most of the time.
Clearly introverted, yet not dominate Fi user *Sigh*

Purplesunset: An INTP prefer Fe > Fi. Try figuring out if you prefer Fi>Fe and Te>Ti or the other way around. Fe is totally alien to me.
And would you consider yourself more of an introverted ENFP, rather than INFP?

I think a lot of the INFP-profiles suffer from sometimes confusing Fi with Fe.
Most INFP's does not strike me as emotional as its rumor(outwardly at least)*, which can lead you to think you are more T (and maybe more N) than you actually are.

*(Except on INFPgc, but then again, i do not think INTPc is representative for the average INTP either.
INTPc seem to attract strong/expressive Dom-Ti and INFPgc - Dom-Fi.
The profiles are often written with strong preferences in mind, and people who feel that the profile are exactly like them feel strong validation and identification and will maybe more often seek a forum or community dedicated solely to that type, more so than more 'balanced' types or types with weaker preferences. So do not use those forums as examples on type)

You can probably get several 'subtypes' from various strength of preference in each function etc, i wouldn't trust the online profiles too much.

Anyway, i would not invest too much time on function order and MBTI if it does not seem to fit you. It is easy to force yourself into some type because you think that the MBTI is proven and valid, it is not. A sometimes useful(but flawed) framework only

First post :blush:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a lot of the INFP-profiles suffer from sometimes confusing Fi with Fe.
Most INFP's does not strike me as emotional as its rumor(outwardly at least)*, which can lead you to think you are more T (and maybe more N) than you actually are.

:yes:

I think many tests gauge feeling by Fe standards, which also makes a lot of INFPs tend to test INTP (including me).

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
This thread has been really helpful.