User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    PurpleSunset - do you also forum over at INFPGlobalChatter? Being in a forum full of alleged INFPs will help you figure out how you compare to other INFPs.

And yes, if you were Ne primary you would be ENFP, not INFP.

If this helps any - I think I'm super Ne strong and super Fi strong. The reason I know that I am not led by Fi is that when I go places and meet people I'm often inundated with vibes. I know that I am not Se dom because I don't get physical details, I don't necessarily notice things like new furniture or new glasses, I don't look at a scene like a photograph.

Rather, I feel energy and I get an overall sense of things. I really like going to public spaces to just let all that kind flow around me. That's why it's easy even as a strong 'E' to get sensory overwhelmed by my surroundings but I no longer (usually) get panicked (which I think ENFPs are prone to do) because I've just accepted that I will never fully be able to feel like I can fully encompass my external environment with my mind, if that makes?

Also, being Ne dom, I approach most situations and people with interest and expectation, I always want to know what's going on and wondering my attention in a way is always being thrown out and I am very receptive. Ne is like a two way antenna.

I feel that Fi doms are more grounded in their energy when they are out and about, if that makes sense?
    Actually, the way you talk about Ne resonates perfectly with me.

When I walk into a museum, there's a certain mood/atmosphere/vibe that I instantly detect. When I walk into a room, I can detect the dominant vibe, like if there is tension or if the people are genuinely relaxed.

When I take nature pics, it's all about the mood/atmosphere that suddenly and instantaneously arises in me from say...watching the sun bursting through the clouds in a certain way.

In all these, my Se is practically non-existent and I never actually pay attention to what's around me. It's an instantaneous and intuitive thing and I'm practically always inside my head. When I'm forced to come outside of my head and use Se, it's a different sensation all together, and I feel naked and vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    There are no subtypes in MBTI. Maybe you're thinking of Socionics and don't know yet?
    Hmm...I've never looked into Socionics.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse Fi with pure emotion, as opposed to seeing it as a rational thought process (which it is). "Ethic-based" and "value-based" seem to be less misleading than the word "feeling".
    I'm sure you've felt something, but then realized that emotion was "wrong", and so it did not shape your values. This is Fi working independent of emotion, because our emotions can clash with our values. So we are not totally overrun by irrational emotion.

So true, Orange.

These points are so important.

I wish more people here would understand this.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    So true, Orange.

These points are so important.

I wish more people here would understand this.
    Ditto. Well put Orange.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    No, because if your primary instinct is to use your introverted feeling first followed by extroverted intuition in an unfamiliar setting, then you might still use Ne, but it takes place after Fi is used.

If you preferred Ne first in an unfamiliar setting, then you would be an ENFP. I suppose you could alternate between and really be both though if you are close on the extroversion/introversion.
    What about a person with function strentgh as follows : Ne Fi Si Te? or Fi Ne Te Si?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's the strength, not how the functions are used.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    That's the strength, not how the functions are used.
    Explain what you mean by "how" please. As in, in which cases is it used? Priority?

And what about "strength"? Is it proficiency or how often we use them?

And doesn't strength imply priority in a sense, and how often we use them?

Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    Little Sticks, you seem to be in a similar position as I actually, since you put yourself as INtP. I tend to come across as too cold, analytical, logical with NF's, while with NT's my ability to understand and take emotions into consideration is baffling. Although the more emotional NF types baffle me as well.
    Yeah, it sucks. I would really like to know which one I am and why I have the other's tendencies so I can better understand myself. But it seems we don't get that luxury. Some people think it's balanced and Jung would argue people who are closer to XXXX type are the type people should be striving to meet. But I also think that was something he valued himself since he was so interested in understanding other people and not something that is a fulfilling goal of each type.

I thought about arguing that INTP/INFP are essentially the same type, but manifest differently depending on environmental stimuli, and then I realized I was just being completely biased because of my own situation. I forget what point I was trying make here...let's see, oh yeah, there's another form of personality type assessment you might be aware of, Enneagram Type Nine, where you have a core type and can have an adjacent wing(s) that are evident. So for me I think my core type is thinking, followed by weaker valued-based thinking, so I would be a 5w4. But then again 4w5 can be pretty similar to 5w4, although I have kind of concluded I'm a bit more 5w4 then 4w5.

Well that was long.

P.S. - Edit
    Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse Fi with pure emotion, as opposed to seeing it as a rational thought process (which it is). "Ethic-based" and "value-based" seem to be less misleading than the word "feeling".

What you are passionate about is usually something you value. Sometimes, we value what stirs an emotional reaction. If you feel awe over astro-physics, then you may initially value it for the feeling it gives you. The more you learn about it, the deeper and more refined the value becomes as it's supported by external information. In that sense, our emotions do influence our values. They can be almost like a signal to examine the worth of something. Conversely, if something repulses you, it can inspire you to develop value for its opposite.

However, I'm sure you've felt something, but then realized that emotion was "wrong", and so it did not shape your values. This is Fi working independent of emotion, because our emotions can clash with our values. So we are not totally overrun by irrational emotion.
    Not meaning to suddenly hijack this thread from you purplesunset but this is what I have incredible trouble with. Innately, I care more about the people involved in a situation being more happy than about doing what is considered the more logically, cause and effect solution where someone might think someone is to be punished for breaking rule A or B because this provides a better overall outcome. But I will see no problem exempting someone if I feel it is unnecessary for them to suffer as a result. Crap, explaining this with the right details could turn into a whole seperate thread. I have no problem breaking societal or ethical rules for individuals. Most of the time I am frustrated with people because they never want to understand why people do things, but that is what helps bring the most peace and happiness to the world. Not blanket-rules that allow the majority of people to be cold simple thinking lazy people. It's hard to explain, but sometimes I wonder if I developed my thinking side so much because I wanted so badly to make it on my own, be able to protect myself, and be able to explain to people the greater truths behind human emotions and motivations so that people can work on being more understanding and make better educated decisions with one another. But this is all very confusing for me because I love Mathematics, computers, engineering, and physics. But I love psychology and understanding people more, it's just that I have deep emotional connections to things and if I were in psychology or dealing with helping people I would crazy from my emotions. See it's so confusing because I also love engineering. I think ideally I would prefer to be an electrical engineer and feel useful creating and fixing machines and circuits and have a couple people I can explore life with intimately. But isn't that an INTP desire? *Bangs head on wall*

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Explain what you mean by "how" please. As in, in which cases is it used? Priority?

And what about "strength"? Is it proficiency or how often we use them?

And doesn't strength imply priority in a sense, and how often we use them?
    In, let's say an ESTJ, they could have Te>Si>Fi>Ne. Their Ne would still be used as a tertiary, but Fi would just simply be stronger. In use though, Fi would still be an inferior and Ne would still be a tertiary.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There's a couple of 5w4 INFP's around. Myself included. It's not uncommon to test INXP. I'd quite like to claim INTP, but unfortuantly I have lashings of Fi, so am well and truely in the INFP camp.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    In, let's say an ESTJ, they could have Te>Si>Fi>Ne. Their Ne would still be used as a tertiary, but Fi would just simply be stronger. In use though, Fi would still be an inferior and Ne would still be a tertiary.
    Yes, but what would Fi being stronger actually entail?