User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 54

  1. #11
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post


    Can I just be an INFP with dominant Ne and a much weaker Fi?
    Yes. So long as Fi still makes the decisions.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  2. #12
    Junior Member Ambrosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    26

    Default

    The INFP type seems to be the most prone to doubt their type, and I don't think it's our habit of over-thinking things that has been suggested to me time and time again. As been said already by many of the other members, I find many descriptions of INFPs to be a gross misrepresentation. Jung himself, the man who conceptualized the cognitive processes, didn't even fully understand how Fi worked.

    Also, do you think it's at all possible that Fi is just something that is so natural for you, you don't even realize when you're using it?

  3. #13
    Junior Member Ambrosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Yes. So long as Fi still makes the decisions.
    But wouldn't that make them an ENFP anyways? Ne isn't a decision making function to begin with...

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    The INFP type seems to be the most prone to doubt their type, and I don't think it's our habit of over-thinking things that has been suggested to me time and time again. As been said already by many of the other members, I find many descriptions of INFPs to be a gross misrepresentation. Jung himself, the man who conceptualized the cognitive processes, didn't even fully understand how Fi worked.

    Also, do you think it's at all possible that Fi is just something that is so natural for you, you don't even realize when you're using it?
    Ah...so the decision-making function is key. I use logic to make decisions but I take into account ethics, morality, and my emotions as well.

  5. #15
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    To OrangeAppled:

    Thank you. I feel that it's my misunderstanding of Fi that is at the heart of my dilemma. Fi you say deals with values primarily, but it just happens to take emotion into consideration. Yet from reading online forums, it seems like many INFP's when they talk about their Fi, make it seem like a very emotion-driven thing as opposed to a ethics-driven one. I suppose these people have misunderstood Fi themselves ?

    Take astro-physics for example. My passion for the subject has little to do with Ti, but more about the mood/atmosphere/feeling? that is conjured inside when I reflect about the the awesome (awesome as in as in awe inspiring, not the Californian surfing dude awesome) beauty of the universe. Could this be a form of Fi too ?
    Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse Fi with pure emotion, as opposed to seeing it as a rational thought process (which it is). "Ethic-based" and "value-based" seem to be less misleading than the word "feeling".

    What you are passionate about is usually something you value. Sometimes, we value what stirs an emotional reaction. If you feel awe over astro-physics, then you may initially value it for the feeling it gives you. The more you learn about it, the deeper and more refined the value becomes as it's supported by external information. In that sense, our emotions do influence our values. They can be almost like a signal to examine the worth of something. Conversely, if something repulses you, it can inspire you to develop value for its opposite.

    However, I'm sure you've felt something, but then realized that emotion was "wrong", and so it did not shape your values. This is Fi working independent of emotion, because our emotions can clash with our values. So we are not totally overrun by irrational emotion.

    I think INFPs are more emotionally open on the internet too, because the online anonymity and intuitive friendly environments of MBTI forums makes them feel "safe" to emote and vent. Soooo many INFPs on other forums post of being seen as aloof and cool on the surface to people in real life, not wells of emotion bubbling over.

    Anyways, I'm rambling now. Hope that clarifies instead of confusing
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  6. #16
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purplesunset View Post
    Ah...so the decision-making function is key. I use logic to make decisions but I take into account ethics, morality, and my emotions as well.
    You are just being more confused by people.

    Feelers use logic and such to make decisions too, but hardcore feelers don't do it as often. I go to logic first, then ethics and such. This doesn't make me an INTP.

    In other words, you're an INFP like me.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Ha ha...if this confusion is so common, then I suppose I'm just another reluctant INFP.

    As mentioned before, some of those INFP descriptions are so unflattering.

    I mean it is possible for someone to be considerate of emotions and ethics, but not be emotional or irrational fuzzy little bunnies. I place a high premium on rationality and clarity. I remember when I was 8, my uncle who lived in another country, sent me a book of LSAT logic problems, and I really enjoyed solving them. At the same time, I was living in a world of fantasies and constantly off by myself making movies in my head. I even had my own Oscar awards, directors, and actors who appeared in different movies over time.

  8. #18
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    PurpleSunset - do you also forum over at INFPGlobalChatter? Being in a forum full of alleged INFPs will help you figure out how you compare to other INFPs.

    And yes, if you were Ne primary you would be ENFP, not INFP.

    If this helps any - I think I'm super Ne strong and super Fi strong. The reason I know that I am not led by Fi is that when I go places and meet people I'm often inundated with vibes. I know that I am not Se dom because I don't get physical details, I don't necessarily notice things like new furniture or new glasses, I don't look at a scene like a photograph.

    Rather, I feel energy and I get an overall sense of things. I really like going to public spaces to just let all that kind flow around me. That's why it's easy even as a strong 'E' to get sensory overwhelmed by my surroundings but I no longer (usually) get panicked (which I think ENFPs are prone to do) because I've just accepted that I will never fully be able to feel like I can fully encompass my external environment with my mind, if that makes?

    Also, being Ne dom, I approach most situations and people with interest and expectation, I always want to know what's going on and wondering my attention in a way is always being thrown out and I am very receptive. Ne is like a two way antenna.

    I feel that Fi doms are more grounded in their energy when they are out and about, if that makes sense?

    I think Udog and BlackCat will probably have a lot of good comparisons to help flesh these differences out more.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  9. #19
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    But wouldn't that make them an ENFP anyways? Ne isn't a decision making function to begin with...
    You are incorrect
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  10. #20
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    There are no subtypes in MBTI. Maybe you're thinking of Socionics and don't know yet?

    thinking of you

Similar Threads

  1. A question to all Ne dominants (ENFP/ENTP) or anyone that knows about Ne!
    By Mitsuko Souma in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
  2. How do you experience Ne dominance?
    By King sns in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 09:39 AM
  3. [NF] How does Ne/Fi Work Together Vs. Fi/Ne
    By highlander in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
  4. Ne Dominance on TypoC Drowning Out Others?
    By highlander in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 09:12 AM
  5. Ne dominants and social life
    By Moiety in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 04:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO