• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do NFs Carry Torches For Past S/O More Often?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It depends if I have gotten over the person completely (and I admit to only really having been infatuated, not in real love). Once I am over someone, that is it. The door is shut. This is especially true if they have done or said anything to cause me to shut that door. I usually make a real effort to move past it and detach, and while it may take time, I am always successful.

In the case of an ex-friend I loved like a sister, I hold some small curiosity for her, but no real feeling. It took awhile to let the friendship die inside me, but like I said, once the feeling is gone, it's gone. I don't hold onto futile feelings forever.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
One of my male friends told me "Don't tell anyone, its a male secret, but all men pine for their last love until they find a new one and then they are over it."

I've seen pining with NF and SP men. I pine over every close relationship, friend or otherwise.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't ever forget. I don't know if that's the same thing as holding a torch. I never forget the times where past S/O's have made me feel great. I am still friends with most of the men I have dated in the past, a couple jerks being the exception.

But when I break up with that relationship, I never look back to that relationship as a potential lover again. They change for me entirely. Probably because I fight so hard while I'm in the relationship to keep it together.. so that if it does fall apart, I know for a fact it wasn't on my hands alone.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of my male friends told me "Don't tell anyone, its a male secret, but all men pine for their last love until they find a new one and then they are over it."

I think a lot of people are that way. My ESFP sister says she cannot get over someone until she has someone new to obsess about :doh:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only things I carry around are the things I couldn't figure out. I had a friendship with a man where I couldn't plumb the emotional depths to find what I could accept as a truth. There are times I still wonder, but I will never know about that now.

But I would guess that NF's are likely the type to mourn over an unrequited love or a relationship gone wrong from a communication perspective more-so than other types.

+1

I don't like it when there's no closure.

Strawberrylover

MBTI Type
ENFP
But love isn't madness.

Or is it?:thinking:

I think it's one thing to constantly consider someone who clearly was horrible for you(like they treated you badly, but you're obsessed), but I actually believe in the idea of soul mates.

If someone has found a soul mate, someone who speaks to the very foundation of who you are, I don't see how that can be let go. I also don't see how it would be healthy to let something like that go, in order to say, live a more socially acceptable life.

Oh boy... I wanted to comment on this because I've fought to justify pining over my INFJ love to people.

I completely agree with what you said. Maybe Fi is forever? It just seems to me that once I began to really care about him and felt that he was my soulmate, I just couldn't stop. We had to break up because of difficult circumstances. It's been almost a year now, but I still feel intensely for him. It's scary.

My friends, especially the Fe-dom ones, just tell me to stop thinking about him and get over it. It's been hard to do that though, because we have to see each other on a regular basis for work. And dangit, I'm stubborn and I'm not going to get a new job or move away just because of him.

Argh, this is so Bridges of Madison County that if I wasn't such a feeler I'd want to barf.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
But I would guess that NF's are likely the type to mourn over an unrequited love or a relationship gone wrong from a communication perspective more-so than other types.

^That drives me crazy!!! :steam: If a relationship is going to end, I'd MUCH rather have concrete, not circumstantial, reasons for it.

I can hope forever. However, once the person makes it clear that they don't like me and never will, I can let go and move on.

I don't believe in soul-mates. Someone isn't your soul-mate if you aren't THEIR soul-mate.

It depends if I have gotten over the person completely (and I admit to only really having been infatuated, not in real love). Once I am over someone, that is it. The door is shut. This is especially true if they have done or said anything to cause me to shut that door. I usually make a real effort to move past it and detach, and while it may take time, I am always successful.

I agree with a lot of this.
If I love someone, it will NEVER die, even if I shut the door. I still love friends I haven't contacted in almost six years [although I don't dwell on those feelings anymore]. But if it was infatuation, it can and will easily move on.

However, I do have a "point of no return." It's hard to cross, but when you do, you are basically dead to me.

I also know I have a choice in moving on. I hate thinking that I don't have control over my emotions, because I do. It's just a matter of willpower.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am much better at letting go if I understand what did happen and why. Sometimes it takes time to sort that out, and sometimes it takes time to accept that I will never get the answers that I was hoping for. Lack of closure (being able to have discussed it and laid it to rest), in addition to inconsistent behaviour on the other person's part (indicating that they still have mixed feelings) makes me hang on longer than I should.

No matter what though, I don't think that there is any point dating someone new until what has happened has been processed. Otherwise you are just doomed to repeat the same thing, whether it was choice of person or communication issues/circumstances.

If someone has really crossed a line with a friendship, I can get to the point where I just don't care anymore and cut off contact not out of anger, but because there's nothing to salvage. Same thing with a boyfriend who has acted so poorly (or gotten together with someone else in between) that I would never date him again. If I've just drifted from someone I care about or they don't seem to return my level of feeling for them, I might sometimes have more wistful thoughts.

With two ex boyfriends, I found myself doing things that reminded me of them, eating same foods as we had liked together, or going certain places, or listening to the same music, just as a way of keeping them closer, but eventually that fades.

With my first boyfriend I pined for a long time, but it was more due him inexplicably changing everything about himself in a very short period of time, and me still seeing him around on a regular basis. I think since he was my first boyfriend, I missed what he represented (maybe I was in love with love in the form of him) as much as I missed him himself, because we didn't date for a long time.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh boy... I wanted to comment on this because I've fought to justify pining over my INFJ love to people.

I completely agree with what you said. Maybe Fi is forever? It just seems to me that once I began to really care about him and felt that he was my soulmate, I just couldn't stop. We had to break up because of difficult circumstances. It's been almost a year now, but I still feel intensely for him. It's scary.

Argh, this is so Bridges of Madison County that if I wasn't such a feeler I'd want to barf.

Like you and Ne-Monster said, my feelings don't ever die when I love someone. I don't care rather it's been 10 years or 20 years, my love is constant, and unchanging. :blush:

I may move on with my life, but my heart stays still. I'm thinking it's because it takes a lot for me, a whole lot, for me to open up to someone. Also, because I've never had friendships or romantic relationships die as a result of hard/bad feelings. Most of my relationships, love and friend, faded out when I made major moves to new states. Email/phone relationships just don't do it like rl.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I love someone, it will NEVER die, even if I shut the door.

This almost stopped my heart. Well-said and deeply true.

But if it was infatuation, it can and will easily move on.

This.

However, I do have a "point of no return." It's hard to cross, but when you do, you are basically dead to me.

And this.

saxman

MBTI Type
INFP

At least he is only speaking for an entire gender and not all of humanity. My guess is either...

1. He is trying to appear strong and in control of his emotion. Someone who would never allow love to make him act unreasonably.
2. He has never been in love, and allowed himself to be vulnerable and needing of someone else. In which case, see #1.
3. He always keeps someone in reserves, just in case the situation with the current interest gets a little bumpy, so he can quickly move on without worry of getting hurt. In which case, see #2.
4. His perspective is completely foreign to me, or i don't understand what he is talking about.

I'm guessing with the whole notion of carrying a torch for a love or getting over them, that it is assumed that one goes from one person being the most important thing ever to not even acknowledging they exist.

Relationships end for many reasons. It can be a matter of compatibility, maturity, circumstance, location, timing, emotional health, or attitude. There are times you can destroy a relationship by neglecting the other person or not respecting them. But there is not one universal answer as to why relationships end, so there isn't one standard process for one to go through to accept that ending.

I can only speak for myself, but the process of ending a romantic relationship can vary greatly depending on the significance and length of the relationship, and generally involves a level of grieving, reconciling how it ended, and learning what I did wrong that led to the end that I might want to avoid, or what I did right that my be useful in the future.

Although a new relationship might remove the sting a little, it doesn't alleviate me from the above task. A relationship that has reached a level of significance to me, remains significant even if I have to move on. It doesn't necessarily burden me once I get through the reconciliation process, but I am able to recognize that it has played a role in getting me to where I am now, and I am able to see how that person has contributed to my life.

With that said, there are people that simply hold no significance. I dated one girl, I can't remember her name, we had fun, she was ok in bed, I can't think of anything worthwhile that she added to my life. She might have not felt the same way, and may have been more disappointed about losing me, but when it ended, it ended for me. Being with her didn't make me less lonely for someone special, didn't make me want to do those stupid things that we do when we are in love, and didn't make me hurt when it ended. At least that one relationship was simple.

There are those that didn't find me significant. I might have thought the world of them, and they didn't hardly notice I existed. I had to finally give up, drop the infatuation, and long after when I was over it, I realized how silly I acted.

Aside from those cases, that is where the simplicity ends.

There are the cases of incompatibility. I know I love the person, and I know they love me, but being with them for whatever reason is a constant struggle. The more we try, the more we draining it becomes. And the sad ending involves knowing neither of us will ever change enough to become what we both need. Although they will probably remain significant once the relationship ends, sometimes they aren't even compatible enough to remain close friends. Despite the fact that I have to draw the line on these relationships, there are still good memories, and a bittersweet realization that sometimes two people just aren't right for each other no matter how much they care.

Then there is circumstance. This is probably the toughest situation, when I know we both love each other and enjoy being together, but for whatever reason know that we can't continue on. There are many reasons for this, and I've often had to resort to picking a date on the calendar, when if the circumstances don't change, I will force myself to move on. I've been pretty good to sticking with this, knowing that it won't do anyone any good for me to just to keep on obsessing on why it didn't work out. Even though deep inside I might not have given up on the idea that it could have worked out if things has been different, I'll still go through the same process, being sad, picking the things that I liked and didn't like about it, and deciding what I could have done better, or what really worked well that I should keep on my list of nice to haves for future relationships.

As far as torches go, I don't think it has to be a romantic relationship for me to find significance it how it impacted my life. Moving on doesn't necessarily mean burning bridges. Not much can be done about compatibility, but sometimes circumstances change. There was one girl that I was close to in high school that we never quite got the chance to date, that I met years later. Even though it didn't work out, we dated for a while and had a lot of fun and good experience that wouldn't have happened if I had just closed the doors, and I'm glad we had the time together. Obviously, it wouldn't be very healthy to be in a new relationship and spending all one's time obsessing about an old flame. So I have had to draw some boundaries where based on the current circumstances I won't cross. But even with that, I still can understand priorities without denying significance of past relationships.

One of my ex-girlfriends who I have remained friends with, and even attended her wedding reception, recently told me that I was the one that got her into graphic design. It's kind of a good feeling knowing that even if things don't work out, I can have a positive role in someone's life.

I know of at least one couple who got divorced, only to later remarry and be happy together. Sometimes circumstances change, and a relationship that ended for some reason, may lead to new relationship worth investing in. One can't stop living hoping this will always happen, and most of the time it probably won't, but similar to how a human resources person will check off "would rehire" during an exit interview, sometimes someone is significant enough where you would give them another chance if things are different in the future.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
For me it depends I guess.

First boyfriend broke up with me, but he was up front and respectful about it. It hurt, and it took me awhile to let it go, maybe about seven months or so. We remained friends, the "romantic aftermath" stuff wore off, and now I can barely remember ever seeing him as a romantic interest.

My ex husband cheated and just dropped a bomb. I felt that confusion of feelings for about a month, this weird feeling of wondering why he did what he did and missing my friend, but knowing I was missing who I THOUGHT he was and not who he ACTUALLY was. It was not hard for me to take pictures out of frames and get rid of things that reminded me of him. I just feel skeeved out thinking of him ever touching me again, even though the hurt might linger. I would not take him back for all the tea in China.

I personally don't tend to carry torches, I'm more likely to carry a grudge if I'm not on top of my own feelings. If I am rejected or decide to end a relationship/friendship, I might have to work through a whole load of feelings but I accept when something is DONE. I am not wired to hang around hoping someone will come back or think about renewing a relationship to its former incarnation if it has been ended. Not saying I wouldn't ever take an ex back (wholly dependent on circumstances of break-up) but I wouldn't pine for it or hope for it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think a lot of people are that way. My ESFP sister says she cannot get over someone until she has someone new to obsess about :doh:

Yeah I was just throwing it out there as a thought, not a fact.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do NFs carry torches for past loves more often than other types? Most NTs I know, minus one, close the door for good. Most SPs I know just never look back.

Are NFs more likely to found pinning for a past love, even after they are in another LT relationship or marriage?

No, I basically tell people what a dickwad they were when asked, and avoid the situation if I am not asked. At times, a sordid part of me looks their names up online to see if they are dead or in jail. But alas, I generally find nothing or I find out they lost 40 pounds and are on a tennis team. Then I say, "God damn it, couldn't they have been that reasonable before?!" I chock it up to immaturity on both of our parts, lambaste myself for giving into such an immature, childish feeling, and go about 5 years without thinking about the person ever again....

Or I will have a reminiscent moment and talk about how weird I was back then, how strange my ex- SO was, and say, "Damn it, how did we tolerate each other? Boy am I glad I'm past that phase."

Wow, that was probably way too candid for my own good, but screw it....:blush:

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
So it seems like torch carrying has little to do with being a romantic/idealist. Perhaps it has more to do with the degree of sentimentality. Then again, to be sentimental is to be nostalgic and romantic, so this is all very interesting.