User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default INFPs, think you're special?

    INFPs, are you convinced in some deep, intuitive (or counter-intuitive) way that you are special? I don't mean special in the sense that everyone is special. I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?

  2. #2
    homo-loving sonovagun anii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    fuck
    Posts
    900

    Default

    I used to believe that, and it had a negative effect on my life.

  3. #3
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    INFPs, are you convinced in some deep, intuitive (or counter-intuitive) way that you are special? I don't mean special in the sense that everyone is special. I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?
    I had that feeling when I was young, but I didn't thoroughly trust it. Eventually I noticed that lots of other young people had it too, so I learned to ignore my own feeling about it. Nowadays I feel decidedly average and unspecial, and I like the liberty and ease of feeling average.

    I revel in my unspecialness.

  4. #4
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Hmm, maybe it is a belief shared by all young 'uns.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?
    I think a lot of people have that feeling. I had a 'calling' early in my life that I tried to ignore for many years, now I'm working towards it; the impact has been very positive so far.

    Edit - I don't mean 'calling' in a religious sense. I'm talking about knowing what you want to do with your life and actually doing it, regardless of what other people might think. Other than that, I'd say my 'calling' is rather ordinary.
    Last edited by Eve; 10-08-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: To clarify a point.

  6. #6
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Sure, special like every other dipshit on this rock
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    INFPs, are you convinced in some deep, intuitive (or counter-intuitive) way that you are special? I don't mean special in the sense that everyone is special. I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?

    Yes, this is a common property of Introverted Judgment. INTPs can well relate to this. That is the essence of the abstract, inner purpose that tends to be the guiding light of INP thought.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Wait, what? Varelse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Yes, this is a common property of Introverted Judgment. INTPs can well relate to this.
    Actually, I usually place people, especially myself, in the category of a mess.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

  9. #9
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    INFPs, are you convinced in some deep, intuitive (or counter-intuitive) way that you are special? I don't mean special in the sense that everyone is special. I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?
    I always have and even now have that feeling. I even gloat about it in my intro.

    It's probably because I have never met anyone else like me and I've been told by teachers and counselors in the past that they expect something great of me. It has often proven to be a negative thing because some people just love to prove that you aren't special, and in fact, are inferior to them. However, the positive aspect is that little by little I have learned how strong I truly am and how strong everyone else in this world really is. There is nothing I love more than helping people realize that hidden strength. And I think it is that attitude that makes me unique. Because anyone can tear someone down, but I find it takes a special kind of experience or personality to be able to build anyone up.
    Last edited by Kiddo; 10-08-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I'm tired

  10. #10
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    I kind of do, actually, but I don't know what it is. For some reason, I do kind of feel like I should do something big, and the idea of an "everyday" working job isn't nearly as appealing as doing something big with true mastery, something that really moves people. In essence, as you said, like I have a calling or potential out of the ordinary to make people think differently and feel differently.

    But... I don't know if it would be something I'd want to do my whole life, whatever it is. Living a "normal" life would be fine, but I'd want to have the sense of accomplishment from the big thing behind it first. There's still no reason an everyday job can't give people a sense of accomplishment and contribution to the community.

    I'd say these dreams of mine (if you can call them that, they are too vague to be much of anything) are generally frowned upon. Maybe I'm naiive, or maybe most people lack the balls to try to do something grand, and maybe most people refuse to beleive that the people they know could go on to do something "larger" than the everyday thing. Maybe all of those are true, maybe none of them are. But in my experience I know two people who are on track to become pretty big. One is set to be the Canadian Olympic pair figure-skater (and at this point she would probably have to try to fail), and one is fairly well on their way to becoming a professional hockey player. One of them I only vaguely know (she is the daughter of my parent's friends, so I've met her a couple of times though I hardly remember), and the other has lived next to me for my entire life. If they can it, theres no reason I can't (other than the fact I have no idea what it is I want to do!). Still, its kind of frowned upon to have big dreams.

    Perhaps it makes sense that older people don't beleive that people can actually do these things, and maybe it makes sense that they just kind of roll it off like its nothing if you say you want to do something big. As other people have said, most young people have big dreams. But as I said earlier, I don't think people in general (meaning of any age) have the nuts to actually try to make these dreams happen. In light of that, it makes sense they would look at the dreams of young people and say "no, it won't work" because it never worked for them and the people they know. Still, the people who say that dreams are impossible (in my case, teachers, parents, and sometimes other kids) seem impatient and unimaginative. Blah, its a mess...

Similar Threads

  1. do you think you're fat or skinny?
    By prplchknz in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 03:55 PM
  2. Think you're smart/ This kid will PWN you!
    By INTPness in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
  3. [ENFJ] ENFJ's - Do people think you're perfect?
    By JoSunshine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 04:18 AM
  4. introverts - do people think you're stuck up?
    By run in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO