User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFPs, think you're special?

INFPs, are you convinced in some deep, intuitive (or counter-intuitive) way that you are special? I don't mean special in the sense that everyone is special. I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I used to believe that, and it had a negative effect on my life.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    INFPs, are you convinced in some deep, intuitive (or counter-intuitive) way that you are special? I don't mean special in the sense that everyone is special. I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?
    I had that feeling when I was young, but I didn't thoroughly trust it. Eventually I noticed that lots of other young people had it too, so I learned to ignore my own feeling about it. Nowadays I feel decidedly average and unspecial, and I like the liberty and ease of feeling average.

I revel in my unspecialness.

MBTI
    INFP

Hmm, maybe it is a belief shared by all young 'uns.

I'm talking about a gut feeling that you have some special calling or potential in life which is out of the ordinary. Is this an INFP thing? IF so, do you think this has had a positive or a negative effect on your life?
    I think a lot of people have that feeling. I had a 'calling' early in my life that I tried to ignore for many years, now I'm working towards it; the impact has been very positive so far.

Edit - I don't mean 'calling' in a religious sense. I'm talking about knowing what you want to do with your life and actually doing it, regardless of what other people might think. Other than that, I'd say my 'calling' is rather ordinary.
    Last edited by Eve; 10-08-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: To clarify a point.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Sure, special like every other dipshit on this rock
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Yes, this is a common property of Introverted Judgment. INTPs can well relate to this. That is the essence of the abstract, inner purpose that tends to be the guiding light of INP thought.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Yes, this is a common property of Introverted Judgment. INTPs can well relate to this.
    Actually, I usually place people, especially myself, in the category of a mess.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    OMNi

I always have and even now have that feeling. I even gloat about it in my intro.

It's probably because I have never met anyone else like me and I've been told by teachers and counselors in the past that they expect something great of me. It has often proven to be a negative thing because some people just love to prove that you aren't special, and in fact, are inferior to them. However, the positive aspect is that little by little I have learned how strong I truly am and how strong everyone else in this world really is. There is nothing I love more than helping people realize that hidden strength. And I think it is that attitude that makes me unique. Because anyone can tear someone down, but I find it takes a special kind of experience or personality to be able to build anyone up.
    Last edited by Kiddo; 10-08-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I'm tired

MBTI
    infp

I kind of do, actually, but I don't know what it is. For some reason, I do kind of feel like I should do something big, and the idea of an "everyday" working job isn't nearly as appealing as doing something big with true mastery, something that really moves people. In essence, as you said, like I have a calling or potential out of the ordinary to make people think differently and feel differently.

But... I don't know if it would be something I'd want to do my whole life, whatever it is. Living a "normal" life would be fine, but I'd want to have the sense of accomplishment from the big thing behind it first. There's still no reason an everyday job can't give people a sense of accomplishment and contribution to the community.

I'd say these dreams of mine (if you can call them that, they are too vague to be much of anything) are generally frowned upon. Maybe I'm naiive, or maybe most people lack the balls to try to do something grand, and maybe most people refuse to beleive that the people they know could go on to do something "larger" than the everyday thing. Maybe all of those are true, maybe none of them are. But in my experience I know two people who are on track to become pretty big. One is set to be the Canadian Olympic pair figure-skater (and at this point she would probably have to try to fail), and one is fairly well on their way to becoming a professional hockey player. One of them I only vaguely know (she is the daughter of my parent's friends, so I've met her a couple of times though I hardly remember), and the other has lived next to me for my entire life. If they can it, theres no reason I can't (other than the fact I have no idea what it is I want to do!). Still, its kind of frowned upon to have big dreams.

Perhaps it makes sense that older people don't beleive that people can actually do these things, and maybe it makes sense that they just kind of roll it off like its nothing if you say you want to do something big. As other people have said, most young people have big dreams. But as I said earlier, I don't think people in general (meaning of any age) have the nuts to actually try to make these dreams happen. In light of that, it makes sense they would look at the dreams of young people and say "no, it won't work" because it never worked for them and the people they know. Still, the people who say that dreams are impossible (in my case, teachers, parents, and sometimes other kids) seem impatient and unimaginative. Blah, its a mess...