User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 23

  1. #11
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Yes, this is a common property of Introverted Judgment. INTPs can well relate to this. That is the essence of the abstract, inner purpose that tends to be the guiding light of INP thought.
    Interesting. I'll have to look into that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    There is nothing I love more than helping people realize that hidden strength. And I think it is that attitude that makes me unique.
    Very INFJ. As INFJ as the tendency to shut people out when they repeatedly fail to realize that hidden strength.


    Oh noez, I have turned this into an INFJ thread!

  2. #12
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Very INFJ. As INFJ as the tendency to shut people out when they repeatedly fail to realize that hidden strength.
    Cough...well...perhaps I have been a bit guilty of that in the past.

    I didn't know that it was an INFJ trait though.

  3. #13
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    What's the point of living, if you believe your the same as everyone else? I don't think I'm special or talented, but I do believe that it's important to try to make something of your self. This doesn't mean being succesful by societies terms just yours. If your definition of success is getting to travel and you get to good for you, if you want a family excellent.

    I use to think I was special, but I'm learning that everyone else thinks they're special aswell, and we can't all be special so somebody isn't. It doesn't mean I can't work towards greatness.

  4. #14
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I use to think I was special, but I'm learning that everyone else thinks they're special aswell, and we can't all be special so somebody isn't.
    I've never really understood this thinking. Everyone is unique and special. Just think of all the ways we are different. We come from different places having different experiences with different people, we have different bodies based on different genetics, we all have our own way of perceiving and interpreting the world, and we all have our own beliefs. Every individual is one of a kind, and no one like him or her has ever existed nor will ever exist ever again.

    I believe it is that uniqueness and the problems we all share that make us so similar, but I can't see how being the same in that sense makes us any less special. Diversity is what is common in the natural world, and it's also what makes it so beautiful. To say that because I'm special in my own ways that someone else can't be special in theirs just doesn't make any sense to me.

  5. #15
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    I'm thinking special as in exceptionally smart or talent, I know their are people like that, but I know I'm not hell I fall in the average range for IQ and I actually have to study to get grades. I enjoy different hobbies, but I know that I'm not the greatest.

  6. #16
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm thinking special as in exceptionally smart or talent, I know their are people like that, but I know I'm not hell I fall in the average range for IQ and I actually have to study to get grades. I enjoy different hobbies, but I know that I'm not the greatest.
    Hm...special as in exceptional. I have found that to be a sad myth. I have had the privilege of meeting a lot of extraordinary talent and genius in my short life and I can honestly say that alone isn't special. Often, those exceptional people will find themselves with other exceptional people and they will then come to realize how being exceptional alone doesn't make them special.

    There is always someone better, and even if you were the best, it doesn't mean you will always be the best. Take an Olympic runner, they can win the Gold medal for next year, but chances are that they will be too old by the next Olympics to run again. They were the best at that age, and at that point in time. Whatever record they may have set will probably be broken over time. They were exceptional, but that alone didn't make them special and they certainly don't cease being special because they are no longer exceptional.

    Of course, you might argue that being exceptional makes them more special. But how do you really measure how special someone is? Is it by how amazing they were compared to their peers? How much they accomplished in their life? How many people they influenced over the course of their life? If you get down to it, there are as many measures of how a person was special as there are ways of being special. In other words, when you try to measure specialness, it is so subjective it is meaningless.

    No, I don't envy the exceptional anymore than I envy the suffering. Both are getting something out of life that I probably will never experience, but those special factors alone don't make them any more or less special in the grand scheme of things. Our individual uniqueness is far more special.

  7. #17
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Hm...special as in exceptional. I have found that to be a sad myth. I have had the privilege of meeting a lot of extraordinary talent and genius in my short life and I can honestly say that alone isn't special. Often, those exceptional people will find themselves with other exceptional people and they will then come to realize how being exceptional alone doesn't make them special.

    There is always someone better, and even if you were the best, it doesn't mean you will always be the best. Take an Olympic runner, they can win the Gold medal for next year, but chances are that they will be too old by the next Olympics to run again. They were the best at that age, and at that point in time. Whatever record they may have set will probably be broken over time. They were exceptional, but that alone didn't make them special and they certainly don't cease being special because they are no longer exceptional.

    Of course, you might argue that being exceptional makes them more special. But how do you really measure how special someone is? Is it by how amazing they were compared to their peers? How much they accomplished in their life? How many people they influenced over the course of their life? If you get down to it, there are as many measures of how a person was special as there are ways of being special. In other words, when you try to measure specialness, it is so subjective it is meaningless.

    No, I don't envy the exceptional anymore than I envy the suffering. Both are getting something out of life that I probably will never experience, but those special factors alone don't make them any more or less special in the grand scheme of things. Our individual uniqueness is far more special.
    Good point, I don't know how I feel about specialness, like you said it's subjective very little in life isn't except maybe math. So maybe I am special, what do I know? I don't feel special.

  8. #18
    Wait, what? Varelse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Good points, Kiddo. I guess my frustration with this comes in when people consider themselves to be special in a way that makes them more important than everyone else, and thus expect the other people to automatically give way to them.

    Understanding where your strengths are, and working to make the most of them, I find admirable. Arrogant, "I'm special, I have a destiny, and if you disagree with me on anything then you're hindering me," is greatly annoying.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

  9. #19
    Senior Member quietmusician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    321

    Default

    I used to believe that. Then I realized that if I was actually special it would have presented itself by now. Lost a few good years thinking like that.

  10. #20

    Default

    I think I have my own individual qualities, but if special in any way means more important than the next person, I'm not. I actually find being an insignificant entity on a small planet rotating around a pretty average star, somewhere in the middle rings of a common spiral galaxy quite inspiring. It means I'm not all there is, because if I am all there is then the universe is a pretty empty and boring place. And some divine creature played a pretty sick trick on us.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Similar Threads

  1. do you think you're fat or skinny?
    By prplchknz in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 216
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 03:55 PM
  2. Think you're smart/ This kid will PWN you!
    By INTPness in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
  3. [ENFJ] ENFJ's - Do people think you're perfect?
    By JoSunshine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 04:18 AM
  4. introverts - do people think you're stuck up?
    By run in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO