Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Default Being The Perpetual Devil's Advocate

I was just thinking about something I have the propensity to do that regularly irritates those around me, and I wondered if any of you could relate. Not sure if it's actually a strictly INFJ thing or not.

I tend to constantly play devil's advocate and argue an opposing side, even if I agree with the person I'm talking to.

Whenever I get upset at some injustice, or form an opinion on world affairs or the way people treat each other, whatever it is I will sit there inside my head examining the entire thing from all angles. Trying to slip myself into the shoes of all sides and see what there is to see. Sometimes the idea of taking an absolutely staunch position on things can feel akin to closing off my mind. I always want to learn as much as possible, and I guess I feel that if I commit to one concrete angle I will be blinding myself to enlightenment I might receive from the other side were I to remain open.

So when people come at me sometimes with their arguments I might start taking up the opposing side if I start feeling like the person hasn't even given the other side ONE THOUGHT. If they don't throw qualifiers in there like "I can see this point from the opposing forces but..." or "I know from another perspective it appears as..." or other such things and just STEAMROLL, I'll just find myself bringing up all these counterpoints EVEN IF I AGREE with the other person. My aim honestly is not to WIN anything, I'm really just asking if they have considered the mindset of the opposing side. Still, more often than not whomever I get into these discussions with will eventually throw their hands up and say "Fine, you win, whatever, you're fucking impossible" or similar, lol. (Also, they will get extremely pissed once I calm my shit down and let them know just how much I really did hear their side and how much validity I agree is there, hehe)

My ESTP friend once said "You're the only person I know who can feel the same way I do about something but make me feel like a bastard for feeling that way". I acknowledge my pain-in-the-ass tendencies, I try really hard to explain my compulsions but it can prove difficult.

I'm also a complete and utter hypocrite, I admit it, and I do seem to have a knack for frustrating people to absolute hair pulling. Some issues I don't wane from, and I usually have way more stamina for arguing my point (because I'm a loquacious bastard like that). The same ESTP has tried to take up the same method of counter attack from the opposing side but can't seem to do it, I can't describe the level of pissed off he's gotten at me at times.

One of my favorite things that he's ever said to me was "No, thank you for this, I have a reason to live now, I'm hanging on until I figure out how to destroy you", lol.

I can't help myself!!!
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INTj

There's nothing wrong with playing the devil's advocate.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    There's nothing wrong with playing the devil's advocate.
    Yes there is.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I disagree. I believe the devil's advocate is a very crude, petty way of arguing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I disagree. I believe the devil's advocate is a very crude, petty way of arguing.
    But what if you could produce a positive understanding through this tactic?
    Haight

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    You need all sides of the argument though. Closing off an area of discussion just because it's a "devil's advocate" position limits your chance of examining the situation fully.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    You need all sides of the argument though. Closing off an area of discussion just because it's a "devil's advocate" position limits your chance of examining the situation fully.
    That's ridiculous.

Do you even know what you're saying?
    Haight

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    That's ridiculous.

Do you even know what you're saying?
    Would it make any difference if he really didn't know what he's saying?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

But in removing limits, you have no guidelines and therefore have nothing with which to judge the matter at hand. You've reduced yourself to a security camera, observing with voyeuristic detachment.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

But what about analysis paralysis? What's the point of seeing so much that you don't even get anything done?

Not that I know anything about that.