User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I love playing the Devil's advocate. It puts people in their place and makes them think. Is a great tool.
    Doubtful.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I play devils advocate sometimes, but I don't really need argument just for the sake of argument.

Usually, I'm playing logic's advocate, which is arguing for the sake of being right.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Doubtful.
    It really depends on how it's used.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Doubtful.
    Do you now rule out what is not doubted? What cannot be judged by rules and measures? Do you now rule out God because you cannot doubt him?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I play devils advocate sometimes, but I don't really need argument just for the sake of argument.
    Arguments are always for their own sake. Enlightenment occurs in the liturgy of the everyday. Do I wear the blue socks with my TEVAs (that's what an INTP would say) or the grey ones? Is this argument stifling your wardrobe or is your initial choice of blue or grey socks the stifler?

Usually, I'm playing logic's advocate, which is arguing for the sake of being right.
    What is right? What is wrong? Do you fear being wrong? Do you fear being Mr. Wrong? Mr. Wrong the Not Right Guy?

As I said, it's got nothing to do with arguing for argument's sake. It is saying something that makes people suddenly say "No, he can't say that!", then realise that is the argument they are putting forward. It is an awesome tool. It highlights stupidity better than most things.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It really depends on how it's used.
    Use is for the user, not the observer.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    As I said, it's got nothing to do with arguing for argument's sake. It is saying something that makes people suddenly say "No, he can't say that!", then realise that is the argument they are putting forward. It is an awesome tool.
    Is it really though? Often you're just going to derail people and confuse the real point of the topic with countless asides, and it basically makes people more consider how airtight their point is so you can't really waste time arguing against it, instead of advancing the discussion properly.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Oooh, can I mention how 'Right' and 'Wrong' are subjective terms and no matter how right we all are we will always be wrong somewhere?

Too soon?

Did someone mention cereal? *holds spoon with anticipation*
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Arguments are always for their own sake. Enlightenment occurs in the liturgy of the everyday. Do I wear the blue socks with my TEVAs (that's what an INTP would say) or the grey ones? Is this argument stifling your wardrobe or is your initial choice of blue or grey socks the stifler?
    Wrong. If they're TEVAs, you go barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    What is right? What is wrong? Do you fear being wrong? Do you fear being Mr. Wrong? Mr. Wrong the Not Right Guy?
    I'll never claim absolute rightness or wrongness, but in between that, much is to be gleaned.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'll never claim absolute rightness or wrongness, but in between that, much is to be gleaned.
    Ok, I'm not sure what Eli Whitney has to do with this, but I would like to point out that he had to be right AND wrong in order to create the cotton gin.