First 1234 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    But what about analysis paralysis? What's the point of seeing so much that you don't even get anything done?

Not that I know anything about that.
    "analysis paralysis"? wtf? did you steal that from Oprah?

you know, for a P, you really seem to be down on those who can see more than you can.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    But in removing limits, you have no guidelines and therefore have nothing with which to judge the matter at hand. You've reduced yourself to a security camera, observing with voyeuristic detachment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    But what about analysis paralysis? What's the point of seeing so much that you don't even get anything done?

Not that I know anything about that.
    If you can't see everything, whatever conclusion you come to is flawed simply because not all data was considered to form the conclusion. It's seeing the tree and not the forest.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I play devil's advocate for fun sometimes, or if I think someone has made a decision without considering the other options.

I wouldn't do it in debate about a serious or academic subject, but when discussing more informal matters I don't see anything wrong with it.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    If you can't see everything, whatever conclusion you come to is flawed simply because not all data was considered to form the conclusion. It's seeing the tree and not the forest.
    But what if the forest is irrelevant to the analysis we need done? What if the tree is sufficient?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

"analysis paralysis"? wtf? did you steal that from Oprah?
    I know better than to take my advice from ENFJs.

you know, for a P, you really seem to be down on those who can see more than you can.
    That's the thing, though. The more you think you see, the more you miss.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Maybe "Devil's Advocate" wasn't the right choice. I don't take up the opposing argument just for the SAKE of doing it, like I don't do it just to do it or be a pain. Like I wrote, I think it's just how much I feel MORE in touch with how I feel about a particular thing if I've genuinely put some thought into the thoughts and feelings of an opposing viewpoint.

Sometimes I've found reason to rethink my own side, but I've also found more concrete reasons for my own viewpoint too. I just find it more enlightening to do that, and I guess I get fiesty about it if I feel someone has just investigated/researched/listened to stuff from their OWN side rather than branching out.

I like to think I'm helping them get better at debate even if they hate me for it
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But what if the forest is irrelevant to the analysis we need done? What if the tree is sufficient?
    Wood will never be irrelevant as long as we have to breathe and eat cereal. Analysis will never be irrelevant as long as we have to find trees and cereal.
    Therefore, tree analysis is vital to seeing the whole forest even if loggers have been in the area.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    In order to ascertain the relevance of the forest to the analysis, it must be examined anyways.

Only when everything is examined are you capable of indentifying whether only the tree is sufficient.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Wood will never be irrelevant as long as we have to breathe and eat cereal.
    Might I suggest switching to a tastier cereal. My personal favorite is Fruity Dyno-Bites.

/end derail.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

I love playing the Devil's advocate. It puts people in their place and makes them think. Is a great tool.

It isn't about taking the opposing view for the sake of it. It is used as an argument clarifier, and to give people perspective on what they are saying.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.