User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Most men talk to a woman with the idea that she is a potential mate and I might wanna date her eventually. Otherwise why would I take the time to talk to her? (yes this is a generalization, but it's amazing how often this is the case). Whereas women tend to just be interested in the person first and afterwards go..oh ok, he could be just what I need in a man. Ok. There are exceptions where attraction at first sight is very much true, but in general it seems to be that men approach women as relationship potential/fuck potential whereas women don't really think about it that consciously. It's not the first thing on our minds when we start talking to a person.
    Well, I don't see the point in talking with a female, unless for the reasons of having a relationship. What's the point? Moreover, having a girl as your "friend" just complicates everything. There will always be some level of sexual tension in the relationship that I as an INTJ just don't want to deal with. And if you tell me there isn't any feelings there, then you're just denying yourself the truth.

Evolution (if you believe in it) has led us to interact with people of the opposite sex for really only one reason, which is sex. If you look at all the other species of animals in the world, you will find that male animals interact with mostly other males (like playful wrestling or something), while female animals interact with mostly other females and their children. The only time male and female come together is to mate.

MBTI
    ISFJ

It's not the first thing on our minds when we start talking to a person.
    lol. Well then chronically flirty girls sure have a way of showing that.

But anyway, what do you that is then?

And, I don't think I agree with you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by allie bug
    Just because we don't come right out and say "hey, I dont like you like that" doesn't mean we aren't totally pleased to be interacting with you.
    Could you please clarify what you are saying? And, sorry. I have a hard time believing flirting is how most ENFPs get to know other people. Do you flirt with everyone? And if not, why? What is the criteria for flirting?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Time View Post
    Well, I don't see the point in talking with a female, unless for the reasons of having a relationship. What's the point? Moreover, having a girl as your "friend" just complicates everything. There will always be some level of sexual tension in the relationship that I as an INTJ just don't want to deal with. And if you tell me there isn't any feelings there, then you're just denying yourself the truth.

Evolution (if you believe in it) has led us to interact with people of the opposite sex for really only one reason, which is sex. If you look at all the other species of animals in the world, you will find that male animals interact with mostly other males (like playful wrestling or something), while female animals interact with mostly other females and their children. The only time male and female come together is to mate.

That is your view. And that's where you are radically different from ENFPs. The E means we *need* human contact. Not just for mating. If that were the case, I wouldn't even be on here, as I already have a partner. There's more to life and to people, than just having a relationship with one. And a friendship can be just as fulfilling. As you're an introvert and focussed on matters, not on people, this is not a need you're likely to experience in the same intensity she does.

In fact..one could argue you weren't upfront with her either. You didn't tell her that the only reason you talked to her, was coz you eventually wanted to bed her, and build a life with her. Why not? Coz it's self-evident *to you*. She sought friendship which is self evident *to her*, you sought a relationship. So can you really blame her for what she did, without being a hypocrite?

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    lol. Well then chronically flirty girls sure have a way of showing that.

But anyway, what do you that is then?

And, I don't think I agree with you at all.
    No surprise there

I don't open with flirting. I'll usually first observe someone I find interesting. And I'll often talk to them a little first to get a feel for who they are. Once I get an opening, and it feels alright to do so, I'll toss in a flirty remark. This can be the first or second thing I say to them yes, but often it's not. It will take a while for the opportunity to present itself. Why do I bother? Coz it tends to baffle them. It breaks the ice, tends to put a big smile on their face and it intrigues them. Entices them to notice you more, if you will. And since I'm intrigued in getting to know them, it's the most efficient way to do so. Do I go about it as calculated as I make it sound now? No..but I'm trying to disect it now to explain it to you.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by allie bug View Post
    in a way, i think what's perceived as flirting is truly the way enfp's get to know other people. it's a playful attitude and accepting attitude. Just because we don't come right out and say "hey, I dont like you like that" doesn't mean we aren't totally pleased to be interacting with you. Do yall have issues keeping platonic friends? or even making them in the first place? Because every male friend I seem to make...no matter how much I clearly state "we are just friends" ends up either trying to persuade me to be romantically interested the whole time or getting really pissed and we don't talk anymore. It sucks....I don't know how not to flirt....or whatever it is I do.
    yeah...i think there are some people who just read attention of any kind as flirtatious if it's from the opposite sex.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I think it also has to do with the fundamental difference in biology. Most men talk to a woman with the idea that she is a potential mate and I might wanna date her eventually. Otherwise why would I take the time to talk to her? (yes this is a generalization, but it's amazing how often this is the case). Whereas women tend to just be interested in the person first and afterwards go..oh ok, he could be just what I need in a man. Ok. There are exceptions where attraction at first sight is very much true, but in general it seems to be that men approach women as relationship potential/fuck potential whereas women don't really think about it that consciously. It's not the first thing on our minds when we start talking to a person.
    Exactly, many men talk to a woman with the full intention of getting to know her so that he can have sex with her, or pursue her romantically. This could be just deceiving and just as much of a let down to a woman who only expects friendship as it is for some men to have a woman flirting without intentions of moving forward romantically. She may think, "Here I am, thinking that you actually want to be my friend, and the only reason you're listening to me is because you want to pursue a sexual relationship".

And further, once many men find out that a sexual relationship is not in the cards, they disappear, confirming for the woman--rightly or wrongly-- that he had no real interest in getting to know her in the first place.

in a way, i think what's perceived as flirting is truly the way enfp's get to know other people. it's a playful attitude and accepting attitude.
    This. I mean, so many things could be perceived as flirting.

Just because we don't come right out and say "hey, I dont like you like that" doesn't mean we aren't totally pleased to be interacting with you.
    This too. Just because a woman is deeply interested in you, doesn't mean she is deeply interested in you. With ENFPs, we're kinda interested in everyone. We want to know you, but that doesn't mean we want to commit to you, or have sex with you. It's best to ask us straight out where things are going before you assume you know our inner most feelings, which we often keep inside.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Sy, it's not coz you can read something, that you can interpret it perfectly. I can read what someone is feeling, but the way they will interpret those feelings and use them is an entirely different thing. Realizing someone is in love with you is an interpretation..not something you read. You read warmth, closeness, comfortableness, feeling special, causing soothing emotions and blissfull ones in the other and vice versa. But..since I'm experiencing the same as they are and I'm not in love..how am I to know that the other will consider it infatuation? That's what I mean with doing something with that info..it's an entirely different skill.
    Because you aren't self-centered. You know there are other people around you that think slightly or even radically different. Because you aren't naive in other aspects and because this one deserves just as much attention. More so because you're a feeler and you care about others' feelings. And because you know exactly what kind of response being flirting is going to cause, and you can read between the lines.

I don't mean to limit all playfullness to flirting. But, it is the type of playfulness I enjoy most, my personal style if you will. I can be playful without flirting too, by being silly and absurd, but my signature style is by sexual innuendo. I see no reason to limit myself, if all participants are up for it
    Oh, missed this post. But yeah, you shouldn't. If all participants are up for it sure. If you have a clear conscience and you don't feel you are leading people on. But, hey, I'm not here trying to tell anyone what to do. I'm just saying that for every action there's a consequence, and that people should be honest with themselves first and foremost if they want to ignore all that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Time View Post

see...that is just bs why the hell do people put such limitations on themselves...there are far too many interesting people in the world to limit your friends to those of the same sex...as mature adults can people honestly not be real friends with the opposite sex? come on...that's absurd.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Doesn't this thread look familiar?

This is why I hesitate to ever get involved with an ENFP again. As pleasant as I find their personalities at first, it's the same old dance.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Exactly, many men talk to a woman with the full intention of getting to know her so that he can have sex with her, or pursue her romantically. This could be just deceiving and just as much of a let down to a woman who only expects friendship as it is for some men to have a woman flirting without intentions of moving forward romantically. She may think, "Here I am, thinking that you actually want to be my friend, and the only reason you're listening to me is because you want to pursue a sexual relationship".

And further, once many men find out that a sexual relationship is not in the cards, they disappear, confirming for the woman--rightly or wrongly-- that he had no real interest in getting to know her in the first place.

This. I mean, so many things could be perceived as flirting.

This too. Just because a woman is deeply interested in you, doesn't mean she is deeply interested in you. With ENFPs, we're kinda interested in everyone. We want to know you, but that doesn't mean we want to commit to you, or have sex with you. It's best to ask us straight out where things are going before you assume you know our inner most feelings, which we often keep inside.
    yeah! exactly it's like...oh...you don't really like me enough as a person to want to be my friend...you only pretended to because you thought we'd go out.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ

In fact..one could argue you weren't upfront with her either. You didn't tell her that the only reason you talked to her, was coz you eventually wanted to bed her, and build a life with her. Why not? Coz it's self-evident *to you*. She sought friendship which is self evident *to her*, you sought a relationship. So can you really blame her for what she did, without being a hypocrite?
    Nicely done...this is true...I assumed that the only reason she was talking to me was to see if I was worthy of her standards for the ultimate purpose of mating. I thought that she eventually found me worthy. That's where I made the mistake. However, I must point out that being social is a part of human nature (even for INTJs)...that's how we evolved. But, if you study chimpanzees or other apes, you will notice that they tend to socialize a lot, but with members of their own sex, not members of the opposite sex. When they do socialize with members of the opposite sex, it is for mating, not for socializing.

Humans have greater mental capacities and great amounts of knowledge compared to other apes. This has led us to foolishly believe that millions of years of evolution has made us creatures who can socialize with both males and females without developing sexual feelings. In fact, it is the opposite. If you look at the history of mankind, until about the last 50 years or so (particularly in the United States and western nations), men and women just weren't friends...they never really talked to each other as "friends". Why? Because the adults understood that when a boy and girl get together, they will develop unnecessary feelings, the ultimate purpose of which is to mate.

Believe what you want...but science is on my side. If I talk to a woman, its to develop a relationship, not for socializing...and I refuse to fool myself into thinking that men and women can be friends...millions of years of evolution stand against us.