First 1234 Last

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Yeah, I don't think the "All Action" thing would be good either, not as a long term mechanism. I have friends who are "All Action" and from what I observe, it can result in the same kind of problems as "All Thinking", winding up in a perpetually unstable place.

I like the suggestion of "Idea-Think-Plan-Do" over "Idea-Think-Plan-Think". I'm stuck as hell in the latter. I think if I put my conscious effort toward it, I could set a more concrete time frame for myself. Meaning, I could curb the thinking by giving myself a structured amount of time that will be acceptable to 'think' before making a choice and going after that choice.

I think I have to be more conscious of reminding myself "You could think for a day or you could think for a year but there will never be any more of a guarantee that the choice you are making is the RIGHT one". I think I have to build up more faith in myself and put more stock into my own capabilities.

I also relate to what 'Sky Is Blue' just wrote, about the cycles. When I think about, that has been me too. I can trace back through the last 14 years of my life and recognize a clear pattern of me having periods of a lot of action, followed by periods of thinking, followed by periods of action again. I too have wondered how to even that out.

I also think I'm typical INFJ in that I tend to prefer DOING the things that have already proven themselves worth doing in the past, then I'll get in a repetitive rut. I DO a lot in any given day in reference to domestic responsibilities and the like, stuff that has proven to be productive, constructive, and serves a purpose. I need to mix it up, explore new options, and make changes.

I am looking for the even keel here, balancing things out so there's just enough thinking and just enough action.

This is really helpful, thank you guys! These boards truly do rock the house.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Oh, I totally get that. For me it's not something meaningless. I make elaborate plans about how to do things with minimum effort and maximum efficiency. Drowning myself in action is all about following that said plan with precision, not allowing myself to think about anything else that might distract me. I can't keep this up for very long, though.
    Oh, yeah, that's what I do too.

For me, it feels a lot like authenticating a nuclear launch. Ni is the president ordering the strike. Fe has one of the keys, and Ti has the other. Unless they both turn their key for the Se launch, nothing happens. So it has to be both acceptable and efficient.

MBTI
    INFP

Haha, I could sit still for a half hour doing nothing and it would be completely fun for me. I'd probably want to stay for another half hour. *Jewelchild hugs her imagination*

The thing that works best for me is getting with my "doer" friends or people who challenge me. They keep me trying new things.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Just as an aside, I'm only just learning how to ask for help too and this is part of it. Asking for help is pretty sweet, sweeter than I would have thought before, lol.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    Haha, I could sit still for a half hour doing nothing and it would be completely fun for me. I'd probably want to stay for another half hour. *Jewelchild hugs her imagination*

The thing that works best for me is getting with my "doer" friends or people who challenge me. They keep me trying new things.
    Ahahaha! Me too! This reminds me of when I was little. My Mom would tell me to sit and not play with anything as a form of punishment. Like a 'time out' kind of thing. She tried it for like a month and gave up on it because I'd just sit there imagining things and then it was like she couldn't get OUT OF THE CHAIR, lol.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    I like the suggestion of "Idea-Think-Plan-Do" over "Idea-Think-Plan-Think". I'm stuck as hell in the latter. I think if I put my conscious effort toward it, I could set a more concrete time frame for myself. Meaning, I could curb the thinking by giving myself a structured amount of time that will be acceptable to 'think' before making a choice and going after that choice.

I think I have to be more conscious of reminding myself "You could think for a day or you could think for a year but there will never be any more of a guarantee that the choice you are making is the RIGHT one".
    I think I have to build up more faith in myself and put more stock into my own capabilities.
    Yes, that's it exactly. Make sure you're aware of all of that... and then DO it.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    Ahahaha! Me too! This reminds me of when I was little. My Mom would tell me to sit and not play with anything as a form of punishment. Like a 'time out' kind of thing. She tried it for like a month and gave up on it because I'd just sit there imagining things and then it was like she couldn't get OUT OF THE CHAIR, lol.
    Same with me! That punishment never worked.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Argh! Okay, both of you, on the floor! Give me 72 hours of doing nothing!

Damn you, Ni!

But yeah, the whole 'asking for help' is an awesome step.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

ouh you er INFJ Gloriana, I always read you as ENTP
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    ouh you er INFJ Gloriana, I always read you as ENTP
    Hmmmm, maybe I am changing into another type AS WE SPEAK??? *bump-bump-baaaaah*