123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default INFPs: Sense of Time, THE PERFECT MOMENT, & Universal Application

I wonder if any other INFPs relate to the following irrationalities, because I'd like to make this a case for what seems to be the "INFP falling off the face of the earth" syndrome. :P

1. I have no sense of time.

A week can feel like a day, a day like a lifetime, 5 minutes like an hour, 20 minutes like 5 minutes.

People complain that it has been 2 weeks since they've heard from me, but it felt like a few mere days to me, and I am surprised when I see that much time really has gone by. Sometimes, time feels like this weird man-made concept, and I just don't feel it like other people seem to. I'm on some other timeline in my head or something.

I keep clocks and calendars all around me because of my poor sense of time. I need constant reminders.
    I'm considering putting a clock in my bathroom, because I'll zone out while brushing my teeth and before I know it I am LATE.

This poor sense of time plays a HUGE part in my being late and allowing too much time to go by in contacting friends. Because of my tendency to fantasize, I will still feel connected to people during this time, which just adds to the feeling that just spoke with them recently.

2. I am always waiting for THE PERFECT MOMENT
    (imagine cymbals clashing here!) to initiate contact with people.

For example, I will consider calling a friend, and then some Ne doubt kicks in:

"What if it's too late? What if it's too early? What if they are sleeping? What if they are taking a shower? Walking their dog? Washing their car? It's probably a bad time. I'll just call another day."

My mood gets the better of me:

"I am not feeling talkative. I don't want to call them unless I am in the exact right frame of mind."

Then, before I know it, a month has passed. An afternoon arrives. I find myself free and feeling sociable at 4:07 pm. I think: NOW IS THE PERFECT MOMENT. So then I call, and the person is annoyed, and then I feel bad. Which brings me to....

3. Universal Application of Negative Experience

The annoyed reaction of the person is obviously due to my delay in contacting them, but I take it deeper. I think:

"It was not THE PERFECT MOMENT after all. I am an annoying person. They don't ever want to talk to me."

If this happens several times, then I not only apply that conclusion to this one person, but just about every one else also. I then slack on calling everyone, and the more time that goes by, the more apprehensive I am, because I am sure they don't want to hear from me and I will only be bothersome.

This "universal application" must be some kind of Fi Si thing gone awry....Negative experiences are ingrained in me, and it takes a lot of positive reinforcement to change this thought process.

So in conclusion, this is my personal elaborate excuse for falling off the face of the earth, but is this typical INFP?
    Any INFPs who relate? If so, what is your way of getting around these weak points and out of this frame of mind?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

1. This is why I have a watch and my cellphone on me at all times, and every room in my appartment has a clock. This is also why I use my e-mail calendars at work and on hotmail for any and all things I want to get done.

2. People get used to my timeline for contacting others or they fall out of my reality.

3. I did this more, but now that I have a new attitude on how I deal with people I don't do this as often.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you for sharing on your concept of time. Your thoughts helped me understand INFPs better. Thanks again.
    Last edited by grasshoppersings; 08-20-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    Nothing, nothing, nothing is impossible with GOD.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Vocabulary/Introverted intuition - Wikisocion

They complain or just comment on the fact that X amount of time has passed?

I don't know anyone in particular who complains.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFP

OH wow. OrangeAppled, I could have written that entire OP myself, except that you wrote it more succinctly than I likely would have.

I'm not sure I've really solved this issue yet, so I'll just check back to see what others say.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

OrangeAppled. We're official twins.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Oddly enough, I have a really good sense of time if we are talking about short term scheduling purposes. For example, at one of my jobs my co-workers would randomly challenge me "What time is it?", and the most I was ever off was 7 minutes. Usually I was within 2-3 minutes.

However, days blur into weeks, and weeks into months, until I realize half the year has already passed me.

2. I am always waiting for THE PERFECT MOMENT (imagine cymbals clashing here!) to initiate contact with people.

YES! Oh dear. It's terrible when it comes to extracurricular club activities and I need to call for volunteers. Do I call at 6? No, they are probably eating. Do I call at 7? No, because I'm now eating. Do I call at 8? Sure, right after I do this one thing. Do I call at 8:30? No, now it's well into primetime TV or they'll be getting ready for bed.

Perhaps alittle bit. If I've worked up the courage to call someone and they don't answer, or don't return my call, I might get worried about why. Are they avoiding me? etc etc etc.

However, I'm pretty good about asking if now is a good time to talk before starting a conversation. If it's not a good time, they'll usually hesitate a bit, and I'll ask them if I should try again tomorrow or something. I can thank work for that habit.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yep, pretty much same with me, I need to have a watch or something constantly, and I'm terrible with estimating times.

2. I am always waiting for THE PERFECT MOMENT
    (imagine cymbals clashing here!) to initiate contact with people.

Oh gosh yes :P

yeah, way too much to be healthy, but I think it could be another reason for me.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

On May 3rd, 2007, I wrote this on a notepad that I hang beside my desk containing meaningful quotes and thoughts: "The future is the past yet to come." I have two lines crossing out, "yet to come."

My original thought, was, "The future is the past," but I thought if anyone read this they would think I was crazy, so I added, "yet to come." After adding that, I knew it wasn't true to myself and crossed it off.

The moment I wrote this was a moment of epiphany. Not the single flash of overwhelming insight an epiphany usually is, but a beautifully gradual progression of bread crumbs leading me eventually to the door opening onto the moment of clarity: each moment we live is not the present, but us remembering the past. Each time we look to the future, we're trying to capture a memory just out of reach. That's how life feels to me.

Whenever something bad happens to me I can smile, knowing this moment I'm remembering will soon fade. Each happy occurrence I experience I look on with regret, knowing this moment I'm remembering will soon fade. Every second I feel inconsequential I take courage from, knowing this moment I'm remembering will soon fade. Every hope, dream and aspiration I try to realize is just another memory out of reach; soon to come, quick to fade.

We try to capture something of these phantom moments by placing them in the snare of time. How ironic that at the center of the snare, we use ourselves as bait. What happens when we realize we're bait?

That was how I was feeling on May 3rd, 2007, just another memory fading away.
    "Are you trying to hurt my feelings? Because if so, you are succeeding. Fortunately, my feelings regenerate at twice the speed of a normal mans." - Dwight, "The Office"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    2. I am always waiting for THE PERFECT MOMENT[/B] (imagine cymbals clashing here!) to initiate contact with people.

For example, I will consider calling a friend, and then some Ne doubt kicks in:

"What if it's too late? What if it's too early? What if they are sleeping? What if they are taking a shower? Walking their dog? Washing their car? It's probably a bad time. I'll just call another day."

My mood gets the better of me:

"I am not feeling talkative. I don't want to call them unless I am in the exact right frame of mind."

Then, before I know it, a month has passed. An afternoon arrives. I find myself free and feeling sociable at 4:07 pm. I think: NOW IS THE PERFECT MOMENT. So then I call, and the person is annoyed, and then I feel bad. Which brings me to....

OMG, like TOTALLY!!!!! I will say though, there are times where things are the right/perfect moment. And when that happens its like all magical and "meant to be". Most things aren't that important or "pre-ordained"? though...

Given my military upbringing and other stuff, I am very good about time and knowing what time it is and the "plans and timetables" and stuff like that. I find that IN's often suck at that though....EP's can be "not so hot" at that too.