• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFx audio sensitivity

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Being an INTP, I've shared moments with INFPs and Js where something will fall or otherwise make a noise. When it's a faint noise, I see that they will notice it, as will I. However, they will seem keenly disturbed or otherwise jumpy at the occurrence. The same goes with loud crashes or the like, and they will get very shaken up from it. I too get hit by it in a way, because I'm sensitive in picking up very careful and subtle noises. However, I think there's a difference between us somehow, because I am not struck by it in a similar manner. The disturbance will explode in my face and I'll be a bit dazed by the observance, but it will not resonate within me enough to be blown away or shocked by it temporarily.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that IN's (maybe INxP's moreso?) seem to have an ingrained sensitivity to sounds and environmental disturbances. The F, however, seems to connect them to it more and be more affected by it. I think that IN's have a capability to be sensitive to their surroundings moreso than other types, and the F brings out a special edge to it, where they are forcibly involved in all of these subtle happenings. In a more abstract sense, I feel that this sensitivity works in other ways, such as with these types feeling strongly about subtle disturbances in relationships.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I used to be like that. I was jumpy at subtle or not so subtle noises. When I was a kid I used to tell my parents I could feel the noise, and I can. It was like putting everything to a sudden halt where the noise was all there was. As an adult I learned to subdue the jumpy response. Now I still respond like that but it's internal. I am very jarred momentarily but it's not apparent to others... I don't think. I hope...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say I jump at sudden disturbances less than anyone else would. In horror movies at those parts where something suddenly pops up, I don't really jump or get startled. In real life when something sudden happens I'm the same way. But I'm just like any normal person in this regard I think, it's a sudden noise. In your mind it will be taken as sudden and a surprise, but it doesn't really physically effect me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't say that I relate strongly to the OP; like pretty much everyone, I do get startled with sudden, unexpected noises, but I don't recall that it ever goes beyond that point, or really impacts me greatly.

Regarding your final sentence, i.e. subtle changes in relationships, I DO detect/feel that rather strongly. ;)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I realte completely to what you said (OP). I react strongly to sound, whch is part of why I'm a musician.
I especially enjoy the sounds made by machinery. Washers/driers, elevators, etc. My washer produces a perfectly in-tune m7 chord.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I realte completely to what you said (OP). I react strongly to sound, whch is part of why I'm a musician.
I especially enjoy the sounds made by machinery. Washers/driers, elevators, etc. My washer produces a perfectly in-tune m7 chord.

Though I'm not usually easily frightened by sound, I'm pretty sensitive to ambient sounds as well. I blame it on my music background as well. Lots of inspiration comes that way.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I am sensitive to loud sounds... I guess I'm better at detecting sounds than discriminating them. Sometimes I jump to sudden noises, not sure whether I react more frequently than other people or not but when I do it's fairly noticeable. I jump... or hop.

Music affects me in that I have a natural tendency to "dance" or at least move in time to whatever I hear... I guess this explains why I dislike super fast music because they give me tachycardia.

If it's background music or noise though, I completely tune it out to the point where I'm not even aware it's there.

StormySunshine

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
I'm almost never startled by any noise or sound, unless I can't intuit what's causing it. For example, if a door opens when no one should be around, that freaks me out. The noises themselves almost never surprise me though. I run all of my experiences, sound or otherwise, through my N, and can almost always instantly come up with several explanations for why something is the way it is. There's no true surprise at that point, although at times there's a very mild surprise when I find the source wasn't on the list of things my N spit out. It's more of a :huh: actually, and I find those moments enjoyable, because they stimulate me to think in new areas.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Though I'm not usually easily frightened by sound, I'm pretty sensitive to ambient sounds as well. I blame it on my music background as well. Lots of inspiration comes that way.

I'm glad you said that. I had a fan that produced wonderful tones. My mind would interprete them as instruments from an orchestra. It was like a radio of new music.
I've only told that to a few people, since the one's I did tell thought I was nuts.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those bird alarm things to keep the pigeons away...

Damn things make me want to climb up to where they're purched and smash them! :SaiyanSmilie_anim:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not really startled by sounds, but I am sensitive to them. Sounds do affect me a lot, both positively and negatively.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, I'm sensitive to sounds. If my Ne doesn't immediately categorize it I have to stop and figure out what it is. I've blamed it on poor eyesight and depending on hearing to pick up on my surroundings.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Loud noises are a shock back to reality for me. Even when I seem completely grounded, and talking or teaching, there's still some "zoning out" going on. Takes a while to get to my happy state of half conscious/half delirium I usually maintain because of being startled like that.

I guess I'd compare it to sneaking up on and scaring someone who's mellow on marijuana.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds put a pressure on me. i guess the word is impress themselves upon me. sound effects my mood very strongly. i am extremely sensitive to harmony and disharmony

rushig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have to say I agree with us being very sensitive to harmony and disharmony. something that unbalances the equilibrium of the environment greatly disturbs me. I think it's the natural aversion to unpeacuful env.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am very sensitive to sound. Whenever I hear a sudden, loud, noise, I jolt and freak out. XD If someone was to pop out in front of me, I wouldn't be too phased, but if I heard someone scream I would spook. My reactions usually startle those around me.

I can't have the music too loud, or it hurts. I listen to it more quietly than any of my friends. I play music [voice+piano] and am very good at learning things by ear.

I am an HSP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember reading about a study that found introverts to be more stimulated by sound. And compared to an INT, I think an INF is definitely more likely to be a highly sensitive person (HSP).

So there could be something to this.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is interesting, though I’m not sure there’s any consensus so it might not be particularly NF (or whatever). I am hypersensitive to sudden loud noises. I’m not sure it’s because I have sensitive hearing – it’s not so much that it hurts my ears – more like a startle reaction. I am scared of thunderstorms and thunderclaps are terrible for me. I used to be scared of fireworks as a child because of the banging, and though I enjoy them now I tend to cover my ears. I even tend to jump out of my skin if there is a gun shot in a play I’m watching – even if the person is waving a gun and I kind of know it’s coming!

For me it’s bad enough that I almost consider it a bit of a phobia.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I must listen to my music full blast into my ears when I'm having an anxiety attack. It helps me stop thinking. Completely. I'm really sensitive to people screaming though. Human yells make me jump faster than anything. Or a sudden change in movement. Or going over a speedbump in my car.