• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFx audio sensitivity

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Being an INTP, I've shared moments with INFPs and Js where something will fall or otherwise make a noise. When it's a faint noise, I see that they will notice it, as will I. However, they will seem keenly disturbed or otherwise jumpy at the occurrence. The same goes with loud crashes or the like, and they will get very shaken up from it. I too get hit by it in a way, because I'm sensitive in picking up very careful and subtle noises. However, I think there's a difference between us somehow, because I am not struck by it in a similar manner. The disturbance will explode in my face and I'll be a bit dazed by the observance, but it will not resonate within me enough to be blown away or shocked by it temporarily.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that IN's (maybe INxP's moreso?) seem to have an ingrained sensitivity to sounds and environmental disturbances. The F, however, seems to connect them to it more and be more affected by it. I think that IN's have a capability to be sensitive to their surroundings moreso than other types, and the F brings out a special edge to it, where they are forcibly involved in all of these subtle happenings. In a more abstract sense, I feel that this sensitivity works in other ways, such as with these types feeling strongly about subtle disturbances in relationships.

The first paragraph? Spot on.
Whenever I'm in class and a book is slammed down hard on a desk/the floor or there's even the faintest sound made, I immediately pick it up. The difference between your reaction to it and mine is that instead of the noise exploding in my head it explodes in my chest. It's really an uncomfortable feeling. I don't know about other INFPs, but it's difficult for me to concentrate after hearing a really loud noise.

Yeah. I definitely notice subtleties in relationships. I know when something's wrong.

I'm an INFP, by the way, if that wasn't already apparent.

Last edited:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I find some sounds startle me, although I'm not easily scared. However, I notice that if the radio is on as white noise, or TV or if there's a fan or something I find it very grating. I like sounds like the washing machine, but most other background noises are ones that I instinctively try to turn off. On the other hand, having taught music for a number of years, I found myself less bothered by the cacophony of beginning fiddle players all practicing their own thing during lunch hour and after school that other people might be. When I got home though, I did not reach out to turn on music, maybe because of the noise during the day?

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Noisy places that have a constant din like airports or cafeterias make me drowsy. I've been known to fall asleep during loud action movies, I think I shut down from too much visual and audio stimulation.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I hate loud noise. I don't always startle, but it makes me feel anxious and irritable. My husband is an INTP and it has the same effect on him, he is just slower to pinpoint the source of his discomfort than I am.

remixedcat

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ENTP:

noises get me to grrrr:

vacuum cleaners
dogs barking
loud or constant motor noises
babies crying
zipper noises
when people cannot change the default ringtone on thier cellphones (that sound irritates me)

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd bring out vacuum cleaners and babies crying specifically, and add the voice of people who speak too much, and loud laughter. There are probably a million more, but these came to mind right now. :D

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I am sensitive to loud sounds... I guess I'm better at detecting sounds than discriminating them. Sometimes I jump to sudden noises, not sure whether I react more frequently than other people or not but when I do it's fairly noticeable. I jump... or hop.

Music affects me in that I have a natural tendency to "dance" or at least move in time to whatever I hear... I guess this explains why I dislike super fast music because they give me tachycardia.

If it's background music or noise though, I completely tune it out to the point where I'm not even aware it's there.

That's why I cant listen to more than one DragonForce song at a time. I don't need excersize for my cardio workout!

Loud noises are a shock back to reality for me. Even when I seem completely grounded, and talking or teaching, there's still some "zoning out" going on. Takes a while to get to my happy state of half conscious/half delirium I usually maintain because of being startled like that.

I guess I'd compare it to sneaking up on and scaring someone who's mellow on marijuana.

Yeah, basically. :D

sounds put a pressure on me. i guess the word is impress themselves upon me. sound effects my mood very strongly. i am extremely sensitive to harmony and disharmony

A sudden loud sound is like a squeeze in my chest, especially if it is a disharmonious one.

I llike having some kind of background noise because then it blankets a lot of the smaller noises I wold have noticed and been distracted by. Loud music, for me, seems way less than what loud is for other people. I think my earphones last longer then theirs because I don't blow out the speakers. My earphones, they have to be GOOD or I can't stand how tinny the music sounds, and I NEED good bass otherwise the music is flat and blah.

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
I would love to see an S's reaction to this thread.
"Wuuuuhh?"