User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm not really startled by sounds, but I am sensitive to them. Sounds do affect me a lot, both positively and negatively.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I'm sensitive to sounds. If my Ne doesn't immediately categorize it I have to stop and figure out what it is. I've blamed it on poor eyesight and depending on hearing to pick up on my surroundings.

MBTI
    INFJ

Loud noises are a shock back to reality for me. Even when I seem completely grounded, and talking or teaching, there's still some "zoning out" going on. Takes a while to get to my happy state of half conscious/half delirium I usually maintain because of being startled like that.

I guess I'd compare it to sneaking up on and scaring someone who's mellow on marijuana.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

sounds put a pressure on me. i guess the word is impress themselves upon me. sound effects my mood very strongly. i am extremely sensitive to harmony and disharmony

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I have to say I agree with us being very sensitive to harmony and disharmony. something that unbalances the equilibrium of the environment greatly disturbs me. I think it's the natural aversion to unpeacuful env.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am very sensitive to sound. Whenever I hear a sudden, loud, noise, I jolt and freak out. XD If someone was to pop out in front of me, I wouldn't be too phased, but if I heard someone scream I would spook. My reactions usually startle those around me.

I can't have the music too loud, or it hurts. I listen to it more quietly than any of my friends. I play music [voice+piano] and am very good at learning things by ear.

I am an HSP.
    Everybody needs love.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I remember reading about a study that found introverts to be more stimulated by sound. And compared to an INT, I think an INF is definitely more likely to be a highly sensitive person (HSP).

So there could be something to this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I'm not really startled by sounds, but I am sensitive to them. Sounds do affect me a lot, both positively and negatively.
    Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    sounds put a pressure on me. i guess the word is impress themselves upon me. sound effects my mood very strongly. i am extremely sensitive to harmony and disharmony
    Ditto.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This is interesting, though Iím not sure thereís any consensus so it might not be particularly NF (or whatever). I am hypersensitive to sudden loud noises. Iím not sure itís because I have sensitive hearing Ė itís not so much that it hurts my ears Ė more like a startle reaction. I am scared of thunderstorms and thunderclaps are terrible for me. I used to be scared of fireworks as a child because of the banging, and though I enjoy them now I tend to cover my ears. I even tend to jump out of my skin if there is a gun shot in a play Iím watching Ė even if the person is waving a gun and I kind of know itís coming!

For me itís bad enough that I almost consider it a bit of a phobia.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I must listen to my music full blast into my ears when I'm having an anxiety attack. It helps me stop thinking. Completely. I'm really sensitive to people screaming though. Human yells make me jump faster than anything. Or a sudden change in movement. Or going over a speedbump in my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.