• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs: How do you dress? General tidyness?

Augenblick

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm most interested in NF replies(particularly fellow INFPs), but anyone can answer! I'll savor every last drop of reply!

--------
On dress, specifically:

What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere?

Do you have a favorite shirt or other article of clothing?

-------
Under the category of general tidyness:
Do you brush your hair? How meticulous are you with it?

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality?

I think that's more than enough questions by now. I'm really just curious about cleanliness and motivating factors. I'm sure there's already a post like this somewhere...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

I'm not sure how I'd describe my style. Kind of offbeat and eclectic at times, but also girly and put-together. Sometimes when I get dressed I feel like I am creating a character.

I have a LOT of clothes. I have a few standby, tried-&-true combinations, but I really like to mix it up because I enjoy novelty. If I wear the same thing too much, I usually get tired of it. I also am a mood-dresser and don't like to plan my dress too far ahead of time. I like to see what I come up with in the moment.

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere?

I avoid ironing unless the clothes are obviously very wrinkled, and then I will iron them. I like to appear put-together without over-thinking it.

My favorite article of clothing is probably my fitted, cropped, leather motorcycle jacket because I am still not bored with it. It's been my go-to item of the past 2 years. It instantly makes me feel cool, like James Dean :cool: :D

I always brush my hair because it is long, and it would look terrible if I didn't. My bangs have to be fixed also. I usually blow it out and flat iron it and it takes an hour to do that (I have a lot of hair), so I only do it at night, and I only wash my hair like 3 times a week max (so it doesn't get dry). Sometimes I let it dry wavy, and I pull it back between washings. I don't leave the house without fixing my hair.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

I definitely distinguish between messy and dirty. I am clean, but not neat. Sometimes I just get lazy about putting stuff away, and then it starts to pile up, but not for too long, since it has to be moved to clean. If I am depressed I can slip into slob mode though. Generally, I always wash dishes, vacuum, mop, dust, wipe down and disinfect regularly. My closets and drawers are usually organized too....because when I do put stuff away I am particular about how it is done.

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality?

I clean because the mess is driving me crazy and/or I cannot find what I need, because someone is coming over, because I have the time and it seems like I should, etc. When I set my mind to do something, I can get really obsessed with details, so cleaning can be exhausting as I'll get stuck on making something perfectly clean. The payoff makes it worth it though.

Augenblick

MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks for your reply, OrangeAppled.

I know this is a tough question(one we can probably never be certain about), but do you think you would have enjoyed mixing garments, or "creating a character"(very nice, by the way! I think that's awesome) were it not for the impressions made upon you during childhood and beyond?

What I mean is, do you think you would have someday stumbled upon the joys of creating an appearance using clothes, ironing your hair, etc., even if you lived in a society who didn't condone it?

When I set my mind to do something, I can get really obsessed with details, so cleaning can be exhausting as I'll get stuck on making something perfectly clean.
Oh, man can I relate to this! I'll go into more detail on my own habits later, but I am definitely likely to have an "all or none" attitude when cleaning something. A very perfectionistic mindset.

I think I've heard you mention on previous posts that at times you are 'accused' of/wonder about being another type(SJ, perhaps). You definitely seem more meticulous than myself, at least on a routine basis. But I don't see that those things necessarily rob your of your NFness.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I normally just wear a simple polo shirt and jeans/shorts depending on how I'm feeling that day. I love hoodies and I own a lot of them and wear them every chance I get.

Haha, I'm afraid I fit in with the category of untidy... I like to appear tidy, whenever I'm going out, but when I'm at home I don't really care. I don't iron my clothes either, because I don't see a need, unless I'm going someplace really fancy.

Yes, I have one favorite pair of jeans and a couple polos that I favor ;)

My hair is pretty short and very curly, so I don't really need to comb it that much. I just sort of run my fingers through it when I get out of the shower.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?m

My bedroom is pretty untidy I'd have to say. There are always empty glasses/plates left everywhere and I don't dust or vacuum very often either.

I do it because sometimes, living in a place as untidy as I live in, you just get really frustrated and fed up with how untidy it is, so I just almost force myself to do it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for your reply, OrangeAppled.

I know this is a tough question(one we can probably never be certain about), but do you think you would have enjoyed mixing garments, or "creating a character"(very nice, by the way! I think that's awesome) were it not for the impressions made upon you during childhood and beyond?

What I mean is, do you think you would have someday stumbled upon the joys of creating an appearance using clothes, ironing your hair, etc., even if you lived in a society who didn't condone it?

Well, I was raised by an ISFJ mother who placed importance on and set the example to be well-groomed, neat, and feminine. Like many little girls, I'd see my mom getting dressed, applying makeup, etc, and it looked like fun. Plus, my mother always seemed very beautiful and glamorous to me, and she is my most influential role model. She's a very creative SJ.

I was also raised to value aesthetics, in an artistic manner, and encouraged to be creative, and this is how I approach my appearance. Ideally, I like everything around me to be aesthetically pleasing also.

As far as my specific methods of grooming, I am sure my environment has influenced it. If I lived 100 years ago, I wouldn't be using a flat iron after all. However, I imagine I'd still take an interest in fashion and self-expression through my appearance. I'd say I have a natural eye and tendency to be artistic, so it's just another outlet for me.

I think I've heard you mention on previous posts that at times you are 'accused' of/wonder about being another type(SJ, perhaps). You definitely seem more meticulous than myself, at least on a routine basis. But I don't see that those things necessarily rob your of your NFness.

No, that wasn't me.... :confused:
I used to test INTP all the time, but I managed to figure out I was INFP. No one's ever questioned it :D

P

Phantonym

Casual, comfortable, classic. Clothes that look good to me, on me, fit me and my personality. I stick to a few good quality articles and combine them and spice them up with different accessories.

Very tidy, clean and well maintained clothes are a must! However, I don't iron my clothes, I don't crumple them up in a drawer but I'm not a folder-nazi either. The key is to get clothes that don't really need ironing. Obviously, I do iron the clothes that need ironing. I don't waste a lot of time to keeping my clothes tidy because I don't really get them untidy.

No, not really. I like the colour blue, so I have lots of things in blue :) But there's nothing that I'd consider cherishing for years.

Haha. Of course I brush my hair. Meticulous? I don't brush it 100 times to the left and 100 times to the right in the evenings, if that's what you meant. Ok, Ok. I don't go to the hairdresser every three weeks but I do take care of my hair. I use natural products and hair masks and avoid chemical overloads.

I've organized things in a way that I don't get my home dirty or untidy. I don't have lots of furniture or things that cannot be easily cleaned. That's the main thing. This way, there's less fussing about cleaning. I keep everything equally clean.

I do distinguish between messy and dirty. Messy is when things are out of place, scattered around. I always know where things are even if there's no logical organization to others. Dirty is dirty. I hate dust and any kind of crumbs, that's dirty in my book.

I want things to be clean. It's the right thing to do and it's practical as well.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've had basically two fashion types my whole life: casual clothes and "save the earth" t-shirts, and casual clothes with "athletic logo" t-shirts [ie Nike, Adidas.] I wear jeans and a collar for work [engineer].

Colorado is all about athletic wear, and generally very laid back. So I fit in well in that regard.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
If you've seen any pics of me you know that I have very little hair, so no brushing required.

I keep my place minimally clean, and find that I go into "cleaning spurts". I enjoy cleaning, in reasonable doses. That needs to go on my "dating resume", I enjoy cleaning in reasonable doses.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I wear pretty fashionable clothes. I'm not talking plain, namebrand clothes. I don't care about namebrand [although I shop at namebrand stores] and I HATE plain-ness. I have a lot of colorful stuff. I use accessories. I layer stuff. I am MOST comfortable in a plain t-shirt, but I put a lot of effort into fashion nonetheless. I don't know if I have a formal style, though I have a lot of thin sweater-type things.

I let other people tidy my clothes. XD I don't even hang my stuff up; I throw them on the floor. It's bad.

It changes daily.

I brush my hair, wash it with decent shampoo, and run some hair product through it if it looks especially bad. That's it. I put no effort to straighten/curl it, unless it is a special occassion. My hair is sort of that messy, thick, half straight half wavy, look that somehow manages to look good on its own.

I'm a complete slob. Everywhere. I manage to know where everything is, though. It's like organized chaos.

If I clean, it's because someone forces me too, or if it gets so bad that even /I/ think that it needs to be cleaned.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wear pretty fashionable clothes. I'm not talking plain, namebrand clothes. I don't care about namebrand [although I shop at namebrand stores] and I HATE plain-ness. I have a lot of colorful stuff. I use accessories. I layer stuff.

I feel that way too....I always say I'd rather be weird than boring.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Generally, classy. Mostly black and white, with a sense of nostalgia. I like to mix.

Tidy. I don't iron though, as there is really no need for the clothes I have. I try not to crumple, but sometimes it happens due to the chaos in my closet and me being too tired to bother. I hang the clothes that call for it and try to place those that don't neatly enough on the shelves.

Hmmm... Several favorites I'd say. No one favorite.

-------
Even when I used to have longer hair, I didn't brush. Just showering and drying with a towel worked good enough, I always liked the natural, slightly messy look. Needless to say, I don't brush now either with short haircut. I just make sure it looks good with the help of my hand.

Well, speaking of my own room, it is generally quite tidy. I don't leave anything laying around, I just tuck everything away into my bottomless shelves. :D
Messy room bothers me honestly, the atmosphere isn't as pleasant. Granted, I won't really notice it once inside, but upon entering the room, I do. I'm definitely not a neat freak though, I just try not to leave too many things laying around.

It's because I desire usually, or some people are visiting.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even when I used to have longer hair, I didn't brush. Just showering and drying with a towel worked good enough, I always liked the natural, slightly messy look. Needless to say, I don't brush now either with short haircut. I just make sure it looks good with the help of my hand.

Are you a man? I thought you were a woman :D

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I dress very simply when I'm not at work. One of 2-3 sets of jeans and a t-shirt. At work I have a nice assortment of clean bohemian work wear. That almost sounds like an oxymoron but I like crazy patterns. And lots of earth tones. I like whites and blacks but white doesn't suit my skin and I don't think I fit that sophisticate persona that goes with all B&W clothes.

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere? What's an iron? I use anti-wrinkle spray. :p I'm bad about putting clothes away directly out of the wash, but I do hang most anything that can wrinkle since I hate ironing so much.

I love my military jackets. They feel very "me." I guess I'm still that grunge kid from high school.

Haha, as little as possible... and I hate styling it. I keep my hair very short most of the time because of this.

I'm pretty messy. Drop things just at random. I just consider compulsive cleaning a waste of time.... granted I don't clean nearly as much as I should. Messy and dirty are quite different. I'm messy, but I'm not dirty beyond letting dishes sit in the sink a bit longer than I should. I've visited friends who have dirty underwear on the floor, garbage on the floor, and that's just nasty.

I don't feel guilty... it just gets to a point where I know it'll be harder to clean if I let it go any longer. Or people are coming over so it just needs to be done. I'm not ashamed of mess, but I don't want people to feel uncomfortable.

heart

heart on fire
I'm most interested in NF replies(particularly fellow INFPs), but anyone can answer! I'll savor every last drop of reply!

--------
On dress, specifically:

What kinds of clothes do you wear?

Mostly jumper dresses, t-shirts and flat shoes. Dressed this way for over two and half decades, lol. I like either black or navy jumpers, but also those same colors with tiny floral prints or even like whimsical prints like cats, hats, or fruit, etc. Just so long as the print isn't loud and big. I like purple, blue for tshirts. Black for shoes mostly. Only usually have one or two pair of shoes. Never wear shoes unless I leave the house.

Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

I like to buy clothes at thrift shops, I usually have a wide variety for all my moods. :D

If they are wrinkled, I throw them in the dryer.

Not particularly.

-------

When I can find one of my five hairbrushes, yes.

My hair is babyfine and slippery, so I keep my hair long so I can get away without styling it all the time.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general?

Lots of papers and books all over. But I hate dirt and filth.

Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others?

Kitchen sink, handle on the refrigerator, cutting boards, bathroom.

Why do you think that might be?

Being life long germ phobic and having taken mircobiology in college. Growing up in a house where there was a lot of "stomach flu"

Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

Yes, absolutely. One is clutter, one is filth.

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty?

To either suit my need or to please those who have to live with me.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
My wardrobe is mostly t-shirts and casual pants. Or striped or plaid shorts. Basically stuff you'd see in an Old Navy commercial. Have a few suits too. I like to wear very sharp dress shirts with flashy ties. I hate ironing. I fold my clothes so they don't wrinkle. But they often sit folded in my clothes basket rather than me putting them away in my dresser.

My personal hygiene is top notch. I shower at least once if not twice a day since I do a lot of running and I shower after on top of my morning shower. My house is fairly clean too, especially for a bachelor. Even my ISFJ mother is impressed! I tend to have a couple surfaces where papers, books, receipts, bills, etc. get placed and it causes a bit of clutter. Everything else I like to keep neat. I'm not picky about mess, but I like to leave a good impression when friends come over.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I try to pick clothes that are flattering to me as an individual instead of trying to follow any sort of fashion. I tend to wear form-fitting tops and jeans or shorts, and lots of sweaters in the winter time. This is more an issue of income than personal style statement - I'm sure if I could afford to I'd have a lot more clothes. Like, I know I would. I do have a few interesting outfits, of course. I like dresses and skirts, but I tend more toward either sexy or playful and casual than businesslike. I don't like buisness clothes.

I don't iron unless it's for a job and a certain article must be that way for professionalism. I've only encountered this when I used to wait tables in fine dining establishments. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I crumple them up in a drawer, I have my system, but no, I'm not especially organized or tidy.

I really, really like to wear sundresses in the summertime because they keep me cool and look feminine without being too dressy. In the wintertime, I like scarves and hats. I adore cute shoes, but rarely have a place to wear them.

I'm meticulous about my hair being healthy - I hate split ends and avoid perming completely and limit dyes - and clean. Sure, I brush my hair, but that's about it. Occasionally I might do more, but that's not really "me."

I do laundry. I take out the trash and wash dishes. I don't leave plates of food rotting on the floor. I think it's important to clean the toilet regularly. Other than that, I'm not very neat. I tend to have papers strewn, and clothes lying on furniture. I'm very aware of clean vs. tidy. Clean is extremely important to me. Tidy, not so much. However, that might be a matter of energy. I know that back when I just worked and wasn't in college I cleaned and organized my living space much more carefully. I think perhaps going to school and working has caused me to slack off on house chores. Something's gotta go, you know?

It's not "duty." I feel better when I'm reasonably clean. I can't live in absolute filth even though I'm not a neat freak. I do it for my own comfort. If someone else is coming over, or they live with me, I do it for their comfort as well.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

Have wear around clothes. Just care that they are comfortable and feel like me. Not really big on making statements with clothing, feels tacky, unless I find the statement really amusing, but definitely have combinations that I like/dislike. Normally look at how things complement each other.

I like to have some clothes that make an impression for dressing up too. Like when going out to the city I normally go casual going out clothes, or look more dressed. I don't really like being under or overdressed for a situation though. One feels like you don't quite fit in, and the other feels like I'm looking down on people.

I always used the floordrobe. Though there is order in the sense that I don't walk on stuff I am going to wear, and I don't put dirty near clean. Anything that actually matters gets hung on my computer chair or in the wardrobe. So yeh, I would iron something if it looked horribly creased before wearing it somewhere that mattered, and be pretty conscious of it.

Yep. I probably have a favourite and a few backups in each clothing category. But they seem to change a lot depending on mood.

I wash it then leave it. Don't think I own a brush.

I actually like any shared areas to be clean just out of respect. I tend to not leave shoes in the middle of the floor, or dishes piled too high, or rotting food. Like I notice surroundings a lot, so am aware of them. I do have papers, keyboards (piano), clean clothes, shoes, etc. on my bedroom floor though. It seems to be easier to just grab them than put them all away carefully in cupboards constantly. And I do an ordering of them and putting them away occasionally.

Yeh, eventually it needs to be cleaned and it is nice to have clean. Guilt isn't really a factor, more practicality and effect.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Woo! Question time.

On dress, specifically:

I usually wear cute, fitted shirts, and I went through this peasant blouse stage of flowy awesomeness. All pretty feminine and cute, I've never been into T-shirts and slacks too much. ^^; I go for sundresses, too. Mostly muted colors, and especially browns. I do mix and match-up, but I have outfits as well. Like this one gray dress thing with black leggings...

Oh, my clothes are crumpled, but I iron when needed.

Usually I have favorite shoes and jeans.

-------
My hair requires maintenance, so I either straight-iron or gel it up. I also conditioner-ize it. Headbands and ponytail holders are also necessary tools. I'm only meticulous because I'm vain and my annoying hair requires me to be. :p

I generally am good about leaving items on dressertops and such, but they're unorganized dressertops. Clothes get tossed on floor. Earrings, God help me, I keep missing one of the two.

Depends. My mom is harping at me? Guilt. Because I can't find anything? Practicality. :p

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wear mainly button up shirts with different colored small jackets and jeans or slacks for work. I have to dress professionally but subdued for common sense reasons when working with clients in the field. I mix and match my outfits but I am definitely not fixated on my wardrobe.

I'm tidy, but not excessively so--I rarely iron but do have one for that rare occasion.

I like my black boots because they are very versatile and look stylish with my shorter skirts. I also really love scarves.

-------
Well, I have to wash and blow dry my hair (due to high humidity) but I generally put it up with a barrette and don't fuss with it. The rainy, stormy weather kind of eliminates any need to "style" it.

Overall, my place is tidy but not everything is always where it should be, tons of books always strewn around and some paperwork here and there. I keep the kitchen the cleanest because I hate dishes piled up and food all over. I have noticed that my sense of peace is impacted by how messy my place is so I always try to keep it tidy, not spotless, but tidy. It is something fairly easy to do that greatly improves my mood.

I think it is really a matter of practicality, though when I clean certain parts and disinfect then I will be pretty thorough.