User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    IEI

Default NFs: How do you dress? General tidyness?

I'm most interested in NF replies(particularly fellow INFPs), but anyone can answer! I'll savor every last drop of reply!

--------
    On dress, specifically:

What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere?

Do you have a favorite shirt or other article of clothing?

-------
    Under the category of general tidyness:
    Do you brush your hair? How meticulous are you with it?

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality?

I think that's more than enough questions by now. I'm really just curious about cleanliness and motivating factors. I'm sure there's already a post like this somewhere...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

What kinds of clothes do you wear? Do you stick to a few basic outfits? Do you have a few articles, but mix them to make new combinations?

I'm not sure how I'd describe my style. Kind of offbeat and eclectic at times, but also girly and put-together. Sometimes when I get dressed I feel like I am creating a character.

I have a LOT of clothes. I have a few standby, tried-&-true combinations, but I really like to mix it up because I enjoy novelty. If I wear the same thing too much, I usually get tired of it. I also am a mood-dresser and don't like to plan my dress too far ahead of time. I like to see what I come up with in the moment.

How tidy do you like to appear? Do you iron your clothes? Just crumple them up in a drawer somewhere?

I avoid ironing unless the clothes are obviously very wrinkled, and then I will iron them. I like to appear put-together without over-thinking it.

My favorite article of clothing is probably my fitted, cropped, leather motorcycle jacket because I am still not bored with it. It's been my go-to item of the past 2 years. It instantly makes me feel cool, like James Dean

I always brush my hair because it is long, and it would look terrible if I didn't. My bangs have to be fixed also. I usually blow it out and flat iron it and it takes an hour to do that (I have a lot of hair), so I only do it at night, and I only wash my hair like 3 times a week max (so it doesn't get dry). Sometimes I let it dry wavy, and I pull it back between washings. I don't leave the house without fixing my hair.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?

I definitely distinguish between messy and dirty. I am clean, but not neat. Sometimes I just get lazy about putting stuff away, and then it starts to pile up, but not for too long, since it has to be moved to clean. If I am depressed I can slip into slob mode though. Generally, I always wash dishes, vacuum, mop, dust, wipe down and disinfect regularly. My closets and drawers are usually organized too....because when I do put stuff away I am particular about how it is done.

When you do clean, is it because YOU desire it to be clean, or because you feel guilty? Is it just the right thing to do(duty), or is it a matter of practicality?

I clean because the mess is driving me crazy and/or I cannot find what I need, because someone is coming over, because I have the time and it seems like I should, etc. When I set my mind to do something, I can get really obsessed with details, so cleaning can be exhausting as I'll get stuck on making something perfectly clean. The payoff makes it worth it though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    IEI

Thanks for your reply, OrangeAppled.

I know this is a tough question(one we can probably never be certain about), but do you think you would have enjoyed mixing garments, or "creating a character"(very nice, by the way! I think that's awesome) were it not for the impressions made upon you during childhood and beyond?

What I mean is, do you think you would have someday stumbled upon the joys of creating an appearance using clothes, ironing your hair, etc., even if you lived in a society who didn't condone it?

When I set my mind to do something, I can get really obsessed with details, so cleaning can be exhausting as I'll get stuck on making something perfectly clean.
    Oh, man can I relate to this! I'll go into more detail on my own habits later, but I am definitely likely to have an "all or none" attitude when cleaning something. A very perfectionistic mindset.

I think I've heard you mention on previous posts that at times you are 'accused' of/wonder about being another type(SJ, perhaps). You definitely seem more meticulous than myself, at least on a routine basis. But I don't see that those things necessarily rob your of your NFness.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I normally just wear a simple polo shirt and jeans/shorts depending on how I'm feeling that day. I love hoodies and I own a lot of them and wear them every chance I get.

Haha, I'm afraid I fit in with the category of untidy... I like to appear tidy, whenever I'm going out, but when I'm at home I don't really care. I don't iron my clothes either, because I don't see a need, unless I'm going someplace really fancy.

Yes, I have one favorite pair of jeans and a couple polos that I favor

My hair is pretty short and very curly, so I don't really need to comb it that much. I just sort of run my fingers through it when I get out of the shower.

How tidy do you keep your place of residence in general? Are there any specific areas that you keep cleaner than others? Why do you think that might be? Do you distinguish between messy(papers strewn about, etc.) and dirty(dirty socks, exposed food on the coffee table, etc.)?m

My bedroom is pretty untidy I'd have to say. There are always empty glasses/plates left everywhere and I don't dust or vacuum very often either.

I do it because sometimes, living in a place as untidy as I live in, you just get really frustrated and fed up with how untidy it is, so I just almost force myself to do it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Augenblick View Post
    Thanks for your reply, OrangeAppled.

I know this is a tough question(one we can probably never be certain about), but do you think you would have enjoyed mixing garments, or "creating a character"(very nice, by the way! I think that's awesome) were it not for the impressions made upon you during childhood and beyond?

What I mean is, do you think you would have someday stumbled upon the joys of creating an appearance using clothes, ironing your hair, etc., even if you lived in a society who didn't condone it?
    Well, I was raised by an ISFJ mother who placed importance on and set the example to be well-groomed, neat, and feminine. Like many little girls, I'd see my mom getting dressed, applying makeup, etc, and it looked like fun. Plus, my mother always seemed very beautiful and glamorous to me, and she is my most influential role model. She's a very creative SJ.

I was also raised to value aesthetics, in an artistic manner, and encouraged to be creative, and this is how I approach my appearance. Ideally, I like everything around me to be aesthetically pleasing also.

As far as my specific methods of grooming, I am sure my environment has influenced it. If I lived 100 years ago, I wouldn't be using a flat iron after all. However, I imagine I'd still take an interest in fashion and self-expression through my appearance. I'd say I have a natural eye and tendency to be artistic, so it's just another outlet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Augenblick View Post
    I think I've heard you mention on previous posts that at times you are 'accused' of/wonder about being another type(SJ, perhaps). You definitely seem more meticulous than myself, at least on a routine basis. But I don't see that those things necessarily rob your of your NFness.
    No, that wasn't me.... :confused:
    I used to test INTP all the time, but I managed to figure out I was INFP. No one's ever questioned it
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

Phantonym

Casual, comfortable, classic. Clothes that look good to me, on me, fit me and my personality. I stick to a few good quality articles and combine them and spice them up with different accessories.

Very tidy, clean and well maintained clothes are a must! However, I don't iron my clothes, I don't crumple them up in a drawer but I'm not a folder-nazi either. The key is to get clothes that don't really need ironing. Obviously, I do iron the clothes that need ironing. I don't waste a lot of time to keeping my clothes tidy because I don't really get them untidy.

No, not really. I like the colour blue, so I have lots of things in blue But there's nothing that I'd consider cherishing for years.

Haha. Of course I brush my hair. Meticulous? I don't brush it 100 times to the left and 100 times to the right in the evenings, if that's what you meant. Ok, Ok. I don't go to the hairdresser every three weeks but I do take care of my hair. I use natural products and hair masks and avoid chemical overloads.

I've organized things in a way that I don't get my home dirty or untidy. I don't have lots of furniture or things that cannot be easily cleaned. That's the main thing. This way, there's less fussing about cleaning. I keep everything equally clean.

I do distinguish between messy and dirty. Messy is when things are out of place, scattered around. I always know where things are even if there's no logical organization to others. Dirty is dirty. I hate dust and any kind of crumbs, that's dirty in my book.

I want things to be clean. It's the right thing to do and it's practical as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've had basically two fashion types my whole life: casual clothes and "save the earth" t-shirts, and casual clothes with "athletic logo" t-shirts [ie Nike, Adidas.] I wear jeans and a collar for work [engineer].

Colorado is all about athletic wear, and generally very laid back. So I fit in well in that regard.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If you've seen any pics of me you know that I have very little hair, so no brushing required.

I keep my place minimally clean, and find that I go into "cleaning spurts". I enjoy cleaning, in reasonable doses. That needs to go on my "dating resume", I enjoy cleaning in reasonable doses.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I wear pretty fashionable clothes. I'm not talking plain, namebrand clothes. I don't care about namebrand [although I shop at namebrand stores] and I HATE plain-ness. I have a lot of colorful stuff. I use accessories. I layer stuff. I am MOST comfortable in a plain t-shirt, but I put a lot of effort into fashion nonetheless. I don't know if I have a formal style, though I have a lot of thin sweater-type things.

I let other people tidy my clothes. XD I don't even hang my stuff up; I throw them on the floor. It's bad.

It changes daily.

I brush my hair, wash it with decent shampoo, and run some hair product through it if it looks especially bad. That's it. I put no effort to straighten/curl it, unless it is a special occassion. My hair is sort of that messy, thick, half straight half wavy, look that somehow manages to look good on its own.

I'm a complete slob. Everywhere. I manage to know where everything is, though. It's like organized chaos.

If I clean, it's because someone forces me too, or if it gets so bad that even /I/ think that it needs to be cleaned.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur View Post
    I wear pretty fashionable clothes. I'm not talking plain, namebrand clothes. I don't care about namebrand [although I shop at namebrand stores] and I HATE plain-ness. I have a lot of colorful stuff. I use accessories. I layer stuff.
    I feel that way too....I always say I'd rather be weird than boring.