User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Earliest memories

I have a theory that many if not most NF's have incredible long-term memories: longer, fuller, and clearer that average. Do you think this is true?

Also, I've always been fascinated by people's 'first' or 'earliest' memories, and have collected many of them over the years. Some people don't remember anything from before they were 5 or 6, or in a few cases even 8. That astonishes me. My earliest memory is, as far as I can work out, from when I was 2. Nothing traumatic, very pedestrian really, but very clear. (Lying in my parents bed trying to see shapes in ceiling cracks the way you can in clouds, before being scooped up and carried out). And you?

Don't question why she needs to be so free
    She'll tell you it's the only way to be
    She just can't be chained to a
    Life where nothing's gained
    and nothing's lost
    at such a cost

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Hmmm I guess I do have a lot of specific memories prior to age 5. My brother is an NT and he claims to remember an event from the womb though and my mother confirmed it many years ago.

One of my earliest would be when I fell and needed stitches, age 3. I remember what I was wearing, driving to the hospital, I can recollect my mother's face when she saw my face and more ...

Don't know if it would be an NF thing or not really. Many of my memories do centre around emotions though; they're the most vivid ones for me.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday View Post
    I have a theory that many if not most NF's have incredible long-term memories: longer, fuller, and clearer that average. Do you think this is true?
    I've often wondered the same thing too, since I also have a very long memory. The earliest memory that I have a near exact date for was when I was two. My mom was knitting Christmas stockings for my brother, father, and myself, and she asked me what picture I wanted on the stocking. I told her I wanted a snowman. This happened when I was about two years, eight months old.

I also have several random memories from when I was younger than that. There are two in particular that I believe one or the other is my earliest. With the first it was night, and my parents were watching Magnum P.I. My mom had made salad for us for dinner, and I wanted some bacon bits on mine. Based on the dark paneled room, I believe this memory is from my early two's or late one's, since I know it was in a different house before the Christmas stocking memory.

With the other memory, I was sitting in a highchair in a kitchen. My dad had just made chili, and he was giving me some. I have no idea when exactly this was, but since I was in a highchair I know it was fairly early on, and I have no sense of my brother in this memory like I do the other two (he's a 16 months younger than I am). This may be because he was not born yet, or more likely a baby yet, and in another room with my mom, so not part of the memory.

I have many memories from when I was three. They're very rich, vibrant memories.

Something I was wondering...does anyone else have some memories that may be considered a bit disturbing now that you're older, but at the time when you are very small would have been normal? For example, I remember clearly my mom openly breastfeeding my sister (a disturbing image now that I'm older), and another memory of my brother and I touching our tongues because it felt so weird (again, I was very little).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Earliest memory: 6 years old, getting top of my finger cut off and sown back on eventually (nasty scar now though)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I got a infp friend who cant remember few things only from about age of 5 and cant remember clearly enything before age of 10 or 11.

Im not a nf, but ill reply enyway. My earliest memory is when i just learned to walk without help. Maybe because it was bit tramatic one. I got my tongue stuck on streetlight in winter, i can still clearly remeber exactly what streetlight it was, even tho i moved out of the neighbourhood at age of two. Enyway i got very vivid memories from the age of 3-4 and after, nothing traumatic or enything like that. I can even remember one dream i had when i was 3 years old and i remember it as clearly as i would have had that dream last night.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I can remember back to 3 1/2 or 4. It freaks my parents out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Interestingly, neither of my kids seem to remember anything from those early years (< age 5). And to think I took them to the playground almost every day and to all kinds of educationally-stimulating places, to amusement parks and other fun places too and barely a single memory made! LOL!

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I got a infp friend who cant remember few things only from about age of 5 and cant remember clearly enything before age of 10 or 11.

Im not a nf, but ill reply enyway. My earliest memory is when i just learned to walk without help. Maybe because it was bit tramatic one. I got my tongue stuck on streetlight in winter, i can still clearly remeber exactly what streetlight it was, even tho i moved out of the neighbourhood at age of two. Enyway i got very vivid memories from the age of 3-4 and after, nothing traumatic or enything like that. I can even remember one dream i had when i was 3 years old and i remember it as clearly as i would have had that dream last night.
    Maybe it's more of an N thing than an NF, or maybe it doesn't have to do with personality type. I'd like to hear what other non-NF's have to say.

MBTI
    INFJ

Sorry, my first memory is from when I was 3 or so. I'm pretty good remembering a few random things from 5 up after that.

Dunno about your theory, I have a friend who claims to remember being born and she's an SF.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Age 2 1/2 - I remember my mom praying with my sister and me in the living room before we went on visitation with my dad, shortly after my parents divorced. I remember quite a lot from 3 onward, relatively speaking.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe