User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

This is a difficult question to answer. It depends so much on the situation...

I care about people affected by major life circumstances (illness, loss of relationship, death, financial problems, ...) and will feel concerned about how they feel. Also, I'm sensitive about people feeling bad because they're treated unfairly.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Define "care."
    Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I care how the people I care for feel, and even that is on a sliding scale.

I do care how I feel. (But you didn't ask that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is this measureable?

I love you guys

MBTI
    INTP

Do I care about how others feel...

Depends. If it's one of my few friends or a member of my family, whom I care a lot about, then yes. Otherwise, not really. And as for giving up my own happiness to help someone, that's not something I do often or can see myself doing often. Perhaps it's a consequence of still not being fully matured.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Do I care about how others feel...

Depends. If it's one of my few friends or a member of my family, whom I care a lot about, then yes. Otherwise, not really. And as for giving up my own happiness to help someone, that's not something I do often or can see myself doing often. Perhaps it's a consequence of still not being fully matured.
    I hate the idea that maturity means being able to give up your own happiness to help someone. Its healthy NOT to give up your happiness. If you can't enjoy your own life, what is the purpose of living? Becoming mature seems to mean having to do things you don't want to do, putting your feelings on the back burner etc. With all that, what is the purpose of life itself? What, do we live for the hive or the collective?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I generally place myself in a larger context than 'me' regarding both thoughts and feelings. I prefer to see a better net result than simply a personal one. I do care about the well being of others because it is clear I am not all that separate from them. Their well being and mine are intricately interlaced.
    what she said
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )

I care about how people I love feel, but I dislike pampering ultra sensitive people, and I don't like being emotionally manipulated, either.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'm not happy till you're not happy.

Of course. Any well-adjusted adult does.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I care a lot about how others feel, if I'm aware of it. If I'm aware that I've unintentionally made someone feel bad, especially someone I care about, I'll agonize over it for ages. (for example, I can immediately think of several separate stupid things I said months ago that are still bothering me)

However it often doesn't occur to me to wonder what others are feeling, so I'll be blissfully ignorant until they or someone else points it out. Probably means I'm self-absorbed or something.

I don't like being around people openly displaying (mainly negative) emotions either, mainly because I don't know what to do and feel awkward...this is a lot worse if it's someone I care about because I can feel them suffering but I can't help them. Though it does make me appreciate that they trust me enough to show emotions (even if for them showing emotions isn't a big thing).

MBTI
    ESFJ

I definitely feel outnumbered, but here it goes.
    I care a lot about how others feel. Even strangers can touch me. Even if I barely know you and you're sad, I'll attempt to make you happy. I know this is true because today a co-worker was very upset, and the feeling kind of lingered on with me. I asked her if I could do anything and I told her I was there if she needed to talk. Therefore.. I'm affected even more if someone I love is upset and I'll try to do whatever I can for them.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alienclock View Post
    I hate the idea that maturity means being able to give up your own happiness to help someone. Its healthy NOT to give up your happiness. If you can't enjoy your own life, what is the purpose of living? Becoming mature seems to mean having to do things you don't want to do, putting your feelings on the back burner etc. With all that, what is the purpose of life itself? What, do we live for the hive or the collective?
    I live for my own happiness and no one elses, if people would recognize that they need to take care of themselves and not rely on other people then by proxy everyone's needs would be taken care of. Being selfless and sacrificing your own well being for others is a paradox, for if taken to the extreme, everyone would be sacrificing their own needs for someone else's and no ones would be fulfilled due to everyone continuing to sacrifice for the other.

The basic situation is if you are asked to sacrifice your own interest and care more about another's who in turn is asked to sacrifice their well being which is your caring for them, and care more about anothers and so on and so on you are left with a null set, nothing.

However if you are selfish and everyone else in turn is and only care about your own needs and what you need to do to fulfill those, and if everyone else is doing that, then by taking care of yourself you are in turn benefiting everyone else by not being a burden on them.
    Question everything especially yourself.

Opivy1980