First 123 Last

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

To say I've never been afraid or uncomfortable with my weaknesses would be a lie, but I guess I have always felt like I owe it to myself to examine them. I guess it is part of that "striving for truth" thing. I WANT the truth even if it might make me cringe at myself for awhile.

I think the main trick for me has been learning not to beat the living crap out of myself for my weaknesses or lecture myself like I'm some criminal for having them. I think sometimes people just will not go into that territory because of how much criticism is just floating around out there toward weaknesses, whatever they might be.

I grew up in a very critical family myself, so I think if one has grown up feeling like they had to apologize for so much it can be a challenge if someone asks them to examine weakness willingly. Not to mention that for every weakness you face up to and deal with, there are seemingly three more to come after that sometimes, hehe.

Really though, I think sometimes that a person's unwillingness to face weakness might be that ingrained things in a lot of families that 'weakness = failure'. It's destructive but it's out there, you know?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't think that everyone is constantly hiding their weaknesses..
    And, ironically enough, I think that people who are in denial that they have weaknesses are the ones where the weaknesses are blatantly obvious... I think it can be an age thing, too.. With maturity people can be aware of their weaknesses and actually try to counteract them.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

And some people are quite the opposite.. They seem to be in denial of their stregnths.. I think this can be equally bad if not worse.. since, well. If you don't realize that you have stregnths then you sure as hell aren't going to use them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    And some people are quite the opposite.. They seem to be in denial of their stregnths.. I think this can be equally bad if not worse.. since, well. If you don't realize that you have stregnths then you sure as hell aren't going to use them properly.
    It's a lot easier to see your weaknesses than your strengths. I agree, it's just as bad to not see your strengths.

I think most people see their weakness' or at least have a glancing knowledge of them. I also think people get stuck in their perceptions. They see their weakness(s) as part of who they are rather than shedding them and becoming who they could be. So they accept them, perhaps even downplay them. I think most people want to be better but see it as an uphill battle so they just accept it as their fate. I wish everyone could use their weakness' as launching pads rather than badges of failure, but some people like them. Pinning a badge on yourself tends to be easier than jumping into unknown.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I think most people see their weakness' or at least have a glancing knowledge of them. I also think people get stuck in their perceptions. They see their weakness(s) as part of who they are rather than shedding them and becoming who they could be. So they accept them, perhaps even downplay them. I think most people want to be better but see it as an uphill battle so they just accept it as their fate. I wish everyone could use their weakness' as launching pads rather than badges of failure, but some people like them. Pinning a badge on yourself tends to be easier than jumping into unknown.
    What is your weakness if I may ask?

I definitely have more than one but I try to know where I am flawed and to change. I think my main weakness at this point in my life is not trusting other people with my true thoughts. I really have a hard time with that. I'm also way to accommodating. Getting onto this forum and actually typing what I think about different things is my way of trying to move ahead of the aforementioned weakness. As I said before i have many weakness but I think just constantly working on them can help. I try. How about you?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I definitely have more than one but I try to know where I am flawed and to change. I think my main weakness at this point in my life is not trusting other people with my true thoughts. I really have a hard time with that. I'm also way to accommodating. Getting onto this forum and actually typing what I think about different things is my way of trying to move ahead of the aforementioned weakness. As I said before i have many weakness but I think just constantly working on them can help. I try. How about you?
    My weakness is not taking control of situations because I dont know how some people will feel. I dont want to step on someone elses toes when they may be trying there best. I dont want to cause an inadequate feeling in others. I wait to long and the situation has passed and I no longer have the ability to do what I should have done.

Do you mind if I act J and tell you what I see as a weakness for your type?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

But what is a weakness? Is it a disadvantage, or is it simply the bad side of something that would otherwise be good?

For example, I might not tell others my true feelings about them because I may believe it would hurt them, which could be seen as a weakness, but that same "function" has an unconditional love for them that would go great lengths for their sake.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

I don't mind a bit. The more information people (I) have from various sources the more they (me) learn.

Your weakness sounds like tact and kindness, but I understand what you mean by doing more harm by waiting than taking control of the situation.