• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni - What does it look like in real ife?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It amazes me when I come across people who don't care about learning about themselves. I have friends who can't stand the thought of knowing their type and thinking learning about any of that stuff is ridiculous.
How can one not want to learn about themselves and the inner workings of the self and others selfs??????

That does not compute.

ESPN *chuckles* That's a good one.

My brother is an ESFJ and he doesn't care at about types etc at all like most sensors I know. I think it has to do with what they found are of more value. Knowing about self and how we connect to other things is something Ni wants. For people with Se, being out there an experiencing things is much more enjoyable. For without Ni, types will be nothing more than mere labels. They can't see any practical purpose to it... and thus show no interest.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
As a matter of fact, when my sister and I get to talking about type, my husband says, "What am I again? Oh yeah, I'm an ESPN.

:rofl1:

How can one not want to learn about themselves and the inner workings of the self and others selfs?

Usually the answer I get is, "Why should I think about things that have nothing to do with me?" It's the old orator vs. philosopher argument. They are just convinced that if it can't be perceived directly then it has no benefit. In their minds it's pretty much, "Why worry about the things that I can't touch, see, hear, taste, or smell?"

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I about laughed my butt off when you shared about your husband was it saying what am I again an ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is freaking hilarious- that is TBS funny right there.
I'm glad you liked my husband's joke. :D

It amazes me when I come across people who don't care about learning about themselves. I have friends who can't stand the thought of knowing their type and thinking learning about any of that stuff is ridiculous.
How can one not want to learn about themselves and the inner workings of the self and others selfs??????

That does not compute.
I know, right?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I see you liked my husband's joke, too.
He's actually very funny and good with snappy come-backs (prepared ahead of time, usually) and short jokes.
We have lots of fun around the dinner table, since our 3 kids walk in his footsteps!

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I about laughed my butt off when you shared about your husband was it saying what am I again an ESPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is freaking hilarious- that is TBS funny right there.

That does not compute.

Yeah, I've practically begged my two sisters to take the test and no way they'll do it. They can't see the point, not interested, even just for fun. :doh: I don't understand it at all.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I use Ni when I write crappy poetry for girlfriends.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't studied the MBTI functions in these expressions before.
I don't know how much iNtuiting I really do.
What does Ni look life in someone's life?
I suggest you do the Cognitive Processes Test.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can anyone else see how prominent Ni is in "A Course In Miracles?"

1. Nothing I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place] means anything.
  2. I have given everything I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place] all the meaning that it has for me.
  3. I do not understand anything I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place].
  4. These thoughts do not mean anything. They are like the things I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place].
  5. I am never upset for the reason I think.
  6. I am upset because I see something that is not there.
  7. I see only the past.
  8. My mind is preoccupied with past thoughts.
  9. I see nothing as it is now.
  10. My thoughts do not mean anything.
  11. My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless* world.
  12. I am upset because I see a meaningless world.
  13. A meaningless world engenders fear.
  14. God did not create a meaningless world.
  15. My thoughts are images that I have made.
(etc)

*"Meaningless" here means "without inherent meaning," with the insinuation that what meaning we see in things is what meaning we have placed in them.

I just found it interesting, based on our discussion here...

I use Ni when I write crappy poetry for girlfriends.
Oh, you're one of those knights who use Ni?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Can anyone else see how prominent Ni is in "A Course In Miracles?"

1. Nothing I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place] means anything. - yes
  2. I have given everything I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place] all the meaning that it has for me. - semi-yes... you can see it as Ni, but it somehow also reminds me of religious ISFJ
  3. I do not understand anything I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place]. - big yes
  4. These thoughts do not mean anything. They are like the things I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place]. - Uh huh
  5. I am never upset for the reason I think. - maybe
  6. I am upset because I see something that is not there. - yes
  7. I see only the past. - no, Si
  8. My mind is preoccupied with past thoughts. - no, Si
  9. I see nothing as it is now. - possibly
  10. My thoughts do not mean anything. - big yes
  11. My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless* world. - Objection! Ni never has meaningless thoughts! :steam:
  12. I am upset because I see a meaningless world. okay
  13. A meaningless world engenders fear. not Ni
  14. God did not create a meaningless world. maybe... pushing it
  15. My thoughts are images that I have made. yes

7 yeses, 4 maybes, 4 nos... you might have a point there. Although it looks like something written for SFJs in my opinion. =/

Oh, you're one of those knights who use Ni?
Nothing wrong with Ni poetry in my opinion... ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yeah, I tend to be more forward-facing than the poem sounds. The past is more a reference point for projecting the future than anything else. That is primarily where it's value lies for me.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
The bottom question makes me very sad because it's almost exactly the same thought I shared back in my 7th grade geography class.

For example: Why do we put North at the top of most maps? Because the mapmaking tradition began among northern-dwelling people, who considered people who lived further south to be less important. Putting North at the top of the map frames geography in a way that, perhaps unwittingly, conveys the belief that Europeans are better or more important than Africans. This can't be said by anything within the map; the very way that the map is structured and related to reality says it.

It was the last one I ever decided to share because, although at the time I thought it was a mind blowing thought, it proved to be just another opportunity for kids to make fun of me. "That kid doesn't know north from south." :doh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Been there, done that, and the poetry was as basic as the state of the function responsible for writing it

You think that when I get a better handle on it, I'll write something bettter?:D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You think that when I get a better handle on it, I'll write something bettter?:D

Sure... you just need to spend a little more time introspecting... You seem articulate and creative enough, the trick is just learning to find the right pattern.

Failing that, just try reading several examples of poetry, and try to mimic the styles, without copying the words verbatim.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
There are two things it seems to do. The first, it seems to just "know" certain things without being able to pinpoint why. The second, it allows you to alter your own and other people's perspective on a situation.

I'm familiar with the "just knowing" thing, too. I find it disturbing a lot of the time. It bothers me when I can't backtrack in my mind and figure out the puzzle pieces my mind put together while I wasn't looking. It's kind of naughty of it to keep me in the dark like that, I think.

Another aspect of Ni is that it seems to be very future oriented. It makes lots of plans and seems to have an idea of how things will turn out in the future.

I have an issue with the "just knowing" thing because I never have anything tangible to back it up. I just know about a person or how a situation will turn out, but I'll agonize over it rather than do anything because I can't prove to myself that what I know is true.. And then, of course, it turns out to be exactly as I expected. :doh:

I run mostly on Ti and Ne - but also Ni. I only realised today that the sudden 'knowing' something without being able to verbalise why I know it is likely to be Ni.

I seem to switch into another mode. It is cold, hard, robotic and unconcious - someone else mentioned on here that it is ruthless.

There's a blankness of emotion compared to Ti/Ne. Ti/Ne comes with a euphoric rush and excitement when there's a new insight. This, however, has no euphoria associated with the knowledge, just - certainty. Of course, sometimes it turns out that is wrong, but it is spooky how often the sudden knowledge turns out to be true. And it is future-oriented. So weird.

Don't ask me how this works, it's magic. It's like how I solve problems or select from a group of solutions, only that I can usually come up with many rational reasons one is better than the others. If an INTP totally trusts you, they'll follow your choices from their list of well-thought-out ideas/solutions, even if you're really just giving assorted reasons why one is better than another and the only reason you advocate one is because it just stands out as the best to you, so you actually manipulated the values of different positives/negatives to get the choice accepted. It's not perfectly rational - it's magic. Some kind of highly flexible pattern matching coupled with an ability to approach from seemingly-random angles, which coupled with my Te allows me to distill them down to the best solution.

I hate being told to explain why I know something. It is almost painful to have to extract enough of what fed the knowledge if I need to convince someone why it is correct - this happens at work a lot. I do the bolded bit sometimes, because it's not possible to articulate the real reasons.

I don't really relate to the other bits of Ni that others described in this thread. I suspect that's because it's not a dominant function for me.

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
Introverted Intuition

It is the "Aha" response of the Gestalt psychologists.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have the "just knowing" thing. I think it's the result of my Ni taking in EVERYTHING, including the things I'm not conscious of, and then piecing them together before I can grasp what's going on. This happens a LOT in relationships - I tend to know it's not going to work out wayyyy before the other person. Ni's a funny thing.

I also know Ni is at work because of my abstract writing and the inability to explain things verbally before my Ti jumps in to organize it. The WORST possible thing someone can do if they want some sort of clear answer is ask me to explain myself before I have sorted out what the hell is going on in my head. It comes out as an abstract mess and, chances are, makes absolutely no sense to anyone but myself.

Another way Ni manifests itself with me is that I see everything symbolically. It's on overdrive when I start associating coincidences with symbolic meaning. I tend to find meaning in EVERYTHING, even the mundane. I am notorious for constantly reading more into something when I shouldn't. For example, I'll be thinking of something and then notice it's about to storm & completely associate that storm as a symbol of the thoughts. I'll then derive the meaning of a storm and apply it to what I was thinking about. It's probably borderline nutty!

Oddly enough, both my ESTP mother and an ESFP friend seem to do this occasionally too (and Ni is their inferior function). Back in college, an ESFP friend and I used to drive around playing random songs on the cd player & associating each song as symbolic of what was going on in our lives and letting the lyrics provide some sort of insight into the situation. My mother is always attributing seemingly unrelated occurances as "signs".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So do you think that Ne is more easily articulated? (Because it really is like a large string/web of tangible connections, you can see the possibilities and how they relate to each other?)

Ni seems to be more more the leap across the huge gap and you're already on the other side of the fissure, and then you have to somehow "create" a route to describe a way for others to get there -- a route you never consciously took yet.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm. Though I seem to test high on use of Ne, I'm not 100% sure how I use it. I always chalked it up to my Physics major & having the opportunity to develop it through my studies. However, I do know that the extraverted function I use regularly - Fe - is VERY easy to articulate for me. In fact, I think I articulate it so clearly that it drives others up a wall.

If you've read up on Beebe's theory at all (I hope I have the right theory!), Se is what is supposingly driving my Ni. I think that's what is ultimately articulating it - when my Ni is not in my head, it tends to be expressed in more concrete ways, such as projects or actions in general. I hope I'm making sense!

I'm apt to think that any extraverted function you use regularly is going to be the easiest to articulate - especially your auxillary as it is what you show to the world. As an INTP, do you feel you can easily articulate Ti or do you find Ne is easier?