First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, you're one of those knights who use Ni?
    is this meant positively or negatively?

MBTI
    OMNi

The bottom question makes me very sad because it's almost exactly the same thought I shared back in my 7th grade geography class.

For example: Why do we put North at the top of most maps? Because the mapmaking tradition began among northern-dwelling people, who considered people who lived further south to be less important. Putting North at the top of the map frames geography in a way that, perhaps unwittingly, conveys the belief that Europeans are better or more important than Africans. This can't be said by anything within the map; the very way that the map is structured and related to reality says it.
    It was the last one I ever decided to share because, although at the time I thought it was a mind blowing thought, it proved to be just another opportunity for kids to make fun of me. "That kid doesn't know north from south."

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I use Ni when I write crappy poetry for girlfriends.
    Been there, done that, and the poetry was as basic as the state of the function responsible for writing it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Been there, done that, and the poetry was as basic as the state of the function responsible for writing it
    You think that when I get a better handle on it, I'll write something bettter?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You think that when I get a better handle on it, I'll write something bettter?
    Sure... you just need to spend a little more time introspecting... You seem articulate and creative enough, the trick is just learning to find the right pattern.

Failing that, just try reading several examples of poetry, and try to mimic the styles, without copying the words verbatim.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    There are two things it seems to do. The first, it seems to just "know" certain things without being able to pinpoint why. The second, it allows you to alter your own and other people's perspective on a situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm familiar with the "just knowing" thing, too. I find it disturbing a lot of the time. It bothers me when I can't backtrack in my mind and figure out the puzzle pieces my mind put together while I wasn't looking. It's kind of naughty of it to keep me in the dark like that, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Another aspect of Ni is that it seems to be very future oriented. It makes lots of plans and seems to have an idea of how things will turn out in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I have an issue with the "just knowing" thing because I never have anything tangible to back it up. I just know about a person or how a situation will turn out, but I'll agonize over it rather than do anything because I can't prove to myself that what I know is true.. And then, of course, it turns out to be exactly as I expected.
    I run mostly on Ti and Ne - but also Ni. I only realised today that the sudden 'knowing' something without being able to verbalise why I know it is likely to be Ni.

I seem to switch into another mode. It is cold, hard, robotic and unconcious - someone else mentioned on here that it is ruthless.

There's a blankness of emotion compared to Ti/Ne. Ti/Ne comes with a euphoric rush and excitement when there's a new insight. This, however, has no euphoria associated with the knowledge, just - certainty. Of course, sometimes it turns out that is wrong, but it is spooky how often the sudden knowledge turns out to be true. And it is future-oriented. So weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Don't ask me how this works, it's magic. It's like how I solve problems or select from a group of solutions, only that I can usually come up with many rational reasons one is better than the others. If an INTP totally trusts you, they'll follow your choices from their list of well-thought-out ideas/solutions, even if you're really just giving assorted reasons why one is better than another and the only reason you advocate one is because it just stands out as the best to you, so you actually manipulated the values of different positives/negatives to get the choice accepted. It's not perfectly rational - it's magic. Some kind of highly flexible pattern matching coupled with an ability to approach from seemingly-random angles, which coupled with my Te allows me to distill them down to the best solution.
    I hate being told to explain why I know something. It is almost painful to have to extract enough of what fed the knowledge if I need to convince someone why it is correct - this happens at work a lot. I do the bolded bit sometimes, because it's not possible to articulate the real reasons.

I don't really relate to the other bits of Ni that others described in this thread. I suspect that's because it's not a dominant function for me.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

Default Introverted Intuition

It is the "Aha" response of the Gestalt psychologists.

MBTI
    INFJ

I have the "just knowing" thing. I think it's the result of my Ni taking in EVERYTHING, including the things I'm not conscious of, and then piecing them together before I can grasp what's going on. This happens a LOT in relationships - I tend to know it's not going to work out wayyyy before the other person. Ni's a funny thing.

I also know Ni is at work because of my abstract writing and the inability to explain things verbally before my Ti jumps in to organize it. The WORST possible thing someone can do if they want some sort of clear answer is ask me to explain myself before I have sorted out what the hell is going on in my head. It comes out as an abstract mess and, chances are, makes absolutely no sense to anyone but myself.

Another way Ni manifests itself with me is that I see everything symbolically. It's on overdrive when I start associating coincidences with symbolic meaning. I tend to find meaning in EVERYTHING, even the mundane. I am notorious for constantly reading more into something when I shouldn't. For example, I'll be thinking of something and then notice it's about to storm & completely associate that storm as a symbol of the thoughts. I'll then derive the meaning of a storm and apply it to what I was thinking about. It's probably borderline nutty!

Oddly enough, both my ESTP mother and an ESFP friend seem to do this occasionally too (and Ni is their inferior function). Back in college, an ESFP friend and I used to drive around playing random songs on the cd player & associating each song as symbolic of what was going on in our lives and letting the lyrics provide some sort of insight into the situation. My mother is always attributing seemingly unrelated occurances as "signs".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So do you think that Ne is more easily articulated? (Because it really is like a large string/web of tangible connections, you can see the possibilities and how they relate to each other?)

Ni seems to be more more the leap across the huge gap and you're already on the other side of the fissure, and then you have to somehow "create" a route to describe a way for others to get there -- a route you never consciously took yet.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Hmm. Though I seem to test high on use of Ne, I'm not 100% sure how I use it. I always chalked it up to my Physics major & having the opportunity to develop it through my studies. However, I do know that the extraverted function I use regularly - Fe - is VERY easy to articulate for me. In fact, I think I articulate it so clearly that it drives others up a wall.

If you've read up on Beebe's theory at all (I hope I have the right theory!), Se is what is supposingly driving my Ni. I think that's what is ultimately articulating it - when my Ni is not in my head, it tends to be expressed in more concrete ways, such as projects or actions in general. I hope I'm making sense!

I'm apt to think that any extraverted function you use regularly is going to be the easiest to articulate - especially your auxillary as it is what you show to the world. As an INTP, do you feel you can easily articulate Ti or do you find Ne is easier?