First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    How would the level of extroversion affect it? For some reason i don't understand. Do you mean a more extroverted Ni dominant would develop Ne? As it stands, it means they more strongly develop their secondary function Fe or Te, right? I'm just not clear about it. I do know that for my weaker functions Ti and Se, there ain't no Te or Si to be found. But for the Ni and Fe, i do have some sense of Ne and Fi present in my thinking - just not as strong.
    Well, I am just fishing around and imagining the "good spots to throw a line," rather than having thought it all through, but here is what I was imagining:

Those who are extremely extroverted or extremely introverted could be prone to either avoiding the opposite function altogether. For example, an introvert with primary T/F frightened to interact with the environment (possibly because of extreme introversion) might end up trying to avoid the environment input altogether and just develop the weaker introverted perceptive function instead of their normal extroverted one.

(That was one possibility. And I was imagining some other potential "ideas" to test as well, if you can take things from there...)

They are just possibilities, though, and need support from data.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I think I experience that "just knowing" thing several of you have mentioned.
    However it seems like I lately second-guess myself a lot.
    I've been so sure sometimes and then ended up being wrong. Oh well.

Thank you all for your input.
    Gotta go.
    Be back later.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Another aspect of Ni is that it seems to be very future oriented. It makes lots of plans and seems to have an idea of how things will turn out in the future.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Another aspect of Ni is that it seems to be very future oriented. It makes lots of plans and seems to have an idea of how things will turn out in the future.
    Aaaaah.
    That I can really relate to.

I have always loved "proverbs" because of the great wisdom they impart.
    Much wisdom has to do with being careful at the beginning of the road,
    or else you probably won't like where you end up at the end of the road.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I think I experience that "just knowing" thing several of you have mentioned.
    However it seems like I lately second-guess myself a lot.
    I've been so sure sometimes and then ended up being wrong. Oh well.
    I have an issue with the "just knowing" thing because I never have anything tangible to back it up. I just know about a person or how a situation will turn out, but I'll agonize over it rather than do anything because I can't prove to myself that what I know is true.. And then, of course, it turns out to be exactly as I expected.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I have an issue with the "just knowing" thing because I never have anything tangible to back it up. I just know about a person or how a situation will turn out, but I'll agonize over it rather than do anything because I can't prove to myself that what I know is true.. And then, of course, it turns out to be exactly as I expected.
    But that's only to guard against the incidents where you're wrong... because if your interpretation's wrong, how you act would be completely off-based and you make a mess. Doesn't happen very often but still, I had bad experiences.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Yeah. I hate when that happens.

I worked with an ISFJ once and she would get these "hunches".
    I would be like, "Where in the world did you get that idea from?!"
    Yet over and over again, it would turn out she was right.

I figured out that her S function was taking in all these facts and details and storing them for future use.
    And then somehow, she would get a "hunch" that would just pop up out of nowhere
    that was actually based on facts she might have taken in 5 or 10 years ago!
    Incredible!

MBTI
    INTJ

So the Ni is making invisible connections based on iNtuitive information, I guess?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    There are two things it seems to do. The first, it seems to just "know" certain things without being able to pinpoint why. The second, it allows you to alter your own and other people's perspective on a situation.

Does that make sense?
    I sometimes find myself being the "devil's advocate" when people are talking to me, though most people hate it and resent me, so I am very careful with it now, but I frequently see the "other guy's point of view".

This is especially useful when I'm only hearing one side of a story.
    I am wise enough to know the other side of the story is usually equally compelling,
    and I don't get in the middle - usually.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I just made a post in another thread about this. Although i was comparing how both Ni and Ne might interrelate in my head. I was wondering if people's dominant functions tended to develop their opposite as well, since that is what is used the most.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/56703-post14.html
    From your thread.
    "As is described with Ni, my mind processes information by reconciling paradox."

I do this, too.
    When someone is telling me something, as I listen, I am reconciling the information with information I already have in my head.
    When something doesn't make sense to me, it's because it doesn't "add up" with what I already know to be true.
    I will frequently make the person stop talking and back up because I am no longer taking in what they are saying.
    I am back 2 sentences ago still trying to reconcile what they said with what I know.
    I can't just ignore it and move on.
    It's worse than trying not to scratch an itch.