Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Default Types & Stereotypes?

I'm new here so forgive me if this is a topic that has already been discussed, but I've been exploring around here and wondered if any of you feel pigeonholed with your type on here?

I'm personally approaching the MBTI with as many grains of salt as possible, I think it's a fascinating tool for insight, but not something to define another person with, you know? Any of you battling with misconceptions about your type coming from those who are MBTI enthusiasts?

I'm getting the impression there's a perception that INFJs have no sense of humor, that we're 'Captain Serious' all the time. That blows my mind, even when I'm pissed off I'm finding something to laugh at. Not saying I'm not moody or that I don't have my "Grrrrr! Get out of my privacy cave you bastard!!" moments, but it takes a lot to get me so serious I can't find humor in a situation. It's weird to me to think INFJs might come in rather high on the "Most Likely To Be Killjoy Assholes" list, lol.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^ I agree. I think INFPs are too often thought of as people who are very whiny and emotionally unstable. So yeah, I'd like to dispel that idea..

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    I'm new here so forgive me if this is a topic that has already been discussed, but I've been exploring around here and wondered if any of you feel pigeonholed with your type on here?
    I've never made a statement here about myself and had someone respond with a "no INTP puts sugar on his porridge" comment. There are some generalizations though of course.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

^Whenever I see your avatar, I'm always prompted to think that Will Ferrel is actually using TypoC.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    ^ I agree. I think INFPs are too often thought of as people who are very whiny and emotionally unstable. So yeah, I'd like to dispel that idea..
    It's probably because I am a whiny INFP , but I think we get stuck with some of the worst stereotyping, as far as accuracy goes. Even the positive stereotyping feels off.

The profiles aren't so bad as the individual stories of "I know this one INFP who is ______" and therefore all INFPs are that way? If that person even is an INFP....

After having said that, I feel that this board in general is a good place for dispelling myths, not reinforcing generalizations.

And for the record, I think INFJs can have a great, subtle, witty sense of humor that may simply be lost on those not smart enough to grasp it .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Embrace these stereotypes! Thus, when a joke is cracked and the audience looks for your lack of response, you'll be thundering away with raucous laughter...incidentally destabilizing their confidence that much more...

In all seriousness, stereotypes will exist as long as classification exists. I suppose that means the only way to escape such is to not classify yourself as an INFJ, but to just state you have a different sense of humor (as you said, "not something to define another person with").

Personally, the INFJ I know IRL is probably the funniest person I know. In fact, I don't know any stone-faced INFJ. It's just important to tread softly when it comes to jokes that belittle personal effects, no?
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm an INTP and I'm not bothered by people stereotyping them, though I don't think we get the worst of it here. We're usually the ones making the snide comments directed at the other types.

NFs (especially the male ones), SJs, and extroverts probably get bothered the most by the generalizing.

Actually, it must be pretty tough to be an SJ and post here sometimes.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Who said that INFJs have no sense of humor? I haven't heard that before...

Like all types, we ENTPSs have had negative things said about us, but I guess I just don't care as long as it's truthful. And a lot of it is truthful. But if it's not truthful, I'll just try and correct it.

However, I accept and embrace all of the positive things said about us, whether they are truthful or not.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post

However, I accept and embrace all of the positive things said about us, whether they are truthful or not.
    That's very optimistic of you.

I don't know what to think of the stereotypes of INFP because some of them are dead on, while others are completely ridiculous.

Then again, I'm apparently a borderline eNFP, and my Ni and Se are more developed than an INFP is supposed to have, so truthfully, whatever.

There is a grain of truth to some of the generalizations...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    I'm getting the impression there's a perception that INFJs have no sense of humor, that we're 'Captain Serious' all the time.
    Yeah I find INFJs to be good appreciators of humor. Out of the Js, I think xNFJs might be the most well-humored, on average.