• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP and softyness

jixmixfix

Permabanned
why do INFPS always think they have some kind of problem? I mean they seem the softest of all the types has anyone ever met a strong willed INFP?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm extremely strong willed. I mean, seriously, I'm considered the biggest bitch of all of my sisters. "Send marmalade in to yell at them for you!"

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
ehhhhhhh, im pretty soft and i try to avoid conflicts at all costs.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My impression is that they are one of the more strong-willed types about the things that matter to them, but those things are usually quite internal. I can't think of any INFP on this forum who seems weak-willed at all. Opinions about each type tend to be full of dichotomies.

heart

heart on fire
why do INFPS always think they have some kind of problem? I mean they seem the softest of all the types has anyone ever met a strong willed INFP?

One of the most weak-willed people I know is ISTP. Go figure...

heart

heart on fire
The one I know is. Cheats, loses jobs, always late, babies himself while berating other people when they are down on their luck.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I'm an only child. So... I can be stubborn. But for the most part I am a big softy. I don't know why, but I'm afraid of coming across as an evil/pushy/loud person. I'm not any of those things, and it doesn't make sense.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
awww he's such an SP at heart ;)

I know an 2 INFPs who's really soft and flaky, I mean they are good people at heart they just always claim that "bad luck" follows them and all that, very self depreciating I don't get the appeal.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know an 2 INFPs who's really soft and flaky, I mean they are good people at heart they just always claim that "bad luck" follows them and all that, very self depreciating I don't get the appeal.

This is why I initially questioned my type, because INFPs are supposed to be so soft and I can be so scary and abrasive if seriously crossed.

However, upon further reflection, I feel that in some ways I'm much stronger than, say for example, an ISFJ or INTP I know. So maybe the INFP soft stereotype isn't the way to go.

Last edited:

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is why I initially questioned my type, because INFPs are supposed to be so soft and I can be so scary and abrasive if seriously crossed.

However, upon further reflection, I feel that in some ways I'm much stronger than, say for example, an ISFJ or INTP I know. So maybe the INFP soft stereotype isn't the way to go.

We're supposed to be abraisive if someone steps on our values.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Water is soft but a mighty force when in motion.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there is also an issue of appearances. I'm a borderline type INFX. People who look at the surface tend to underestimate my toughness, and I once had the negative reputation for being "fragile". People who know me well often find I'm one of the toughest people they know. It's about not fearing or hiding vulnerability. I don't equate pain or fear with being helpless. You can experience those things overwhelmingly and still make the right choice and move forward. It's a bit like racing out onto the battlefield sans armor and surviving it.

People who aren't tough, or pretend to be tough, are just the product of their lives and so it doesn't make sense to me to think too much less of it on at least one level.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I can't relate to this at all. I'm a very strong willed person, and I wish I could tell you why a lot of INFPs have a "problem". Just avoid them until they get past them.

We're supposed to be abraisive if someone steps on our values.

Why are they even called values? My "values" don't really get expressed, and I honestly don't have many "values" that I openly express to people. If people step on my Fi then yes, I get abrasive. We should just call it that imo.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why are they even called values? My "values" don't really get expressed, and I honestly don't have many "values" that I openly express to people. If people step on my Fi then yes, I get abrasive. We should just call it that imo.

That could also be an ISFP trait. Getting mad for Fi getting stepped on without openly expressed "values." I'm just saying.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That could also be an ISFP trait. Getting mad for Fi getting stepped on without openly expressed "values." I'm just saying.

I wasn't attacking you. :newwink: But really, do INFPs honestly just sit around and talk about their values? :huh: I never understood the stereotype. The INFPs I've talked to never really openly expressed them unless something came up in a topic of conversation, like religion or something.