• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Can Two NFs Hold a Straight Conversation?

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've noticed when talking to NF friends in real life that we can't keep our minds on one subject. If one of us tries to tell a story, we sidetrack constantly throughout telling it, and its telling is frequently paused then resumed.

This happens especially with my ENFP friend, not only in conversation, but in goals and plans. We'll constantly switch between things to do, and it ends up in us not getting anything done at all, hah.

This probably isn't just an NF thing, but has anyone had similar experiences?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have an ENFP friend. If we're both really interested in a paticular topic, we can keep talking about it for hours. If a relevant side story pops up, we'll tell it, but we're always able to go back to the main subject.

I have another ENFP friend with who it could go both ways. If we're talking about something serious, we can continue the conversation. If it's just a fun conversation, we jump all over the place.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Who is interested in rehashing the same topic over and over again in the same conversation? Dull people, that's who. Part of how conversations work is that the subject naturally shifts over the course of the conversation. If the subject doesn't shift you are officially really boring.

sculpting

Oh me and another enfp can go totally crazy and I can end up really tired.

This works better if I become more thinker like-I naturally tend to do this. The stronger the feeler, the less I use feelings to interact??

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like typical Ne to me. xNTPs do it too, just usually more on informational topics and fields of interest / random trivia.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've never tried to have a straight conversation.... cause... it's not very fun.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I've noticed when talking to NF friends in real life that we can't keep our minds on one subject. If one of us tries to tell a story, we sidetrack constantly throughout telling it, and its telling is frequently paused then resumed.

This happens especially with my ENFP friend, not only in conversation, but in goals and plans. We'll constantly switch between things to do, and it ends up in us not getting anything done at all, hah.

This probably isn't just an NF thing, but has anyone had similar experiences?

Yes fill, often. It's how N attempts to find connection... Ne dom naturally wanders all over the place because to Ne, they're all one big related topic. But for Ni dominant INFJ, problem stems from I think Ni on full throttle being too much for tert Ti. It's difficult to organize your thoughts and what you say in a systematical logical fashion because N by nature organize things by multiple relationship links... like a mind web. Sometimes it feels like I'm attempt to wangle all the connections down to a single straightish path... on the fly. Like an instantaneous decision on which of 3/4/5 etc route is the best for reaching where I want to go. Meanwhile Ni has already skip down two intersections. Then I realize I'm likely not making any sense and must loop back.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
LOL, somewhat. If it's an important enough topic, we'll keep coming back to it as we meander.

Koocoomoo

MBTI Type
iNFp
Enneagram
4w3?
My best friend is an INFP also,
we have regular convos, but we always get sidetracked on minor things we say that people usually don't pay attention to, and we totally lose track of what we were previously saying.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I had to laugh at this. I'm INFJ and two of my closest friends are also INFJ, our conversations are always like that. We talk until our tongues bleed but it is constantly going off topic and we have to explain EVERYTHING with painstaking detail, hehehe.

I also have a close friend who is ESTP, and he gets what my friend calls "the ticking face" when I talk to him. He will be into what I say for awhile, but when I start going off on one of my long, descriptive tangents he starts glazing over and his chin starts going slowly down into his chest, like there's a clock ticking down inside his head telling him he can only take so much more before it explodes, lol. Eventually he starts looking at other things in the room and responding only in grunts, then I pretty much know it's my cue to say "Dude, am I killing you?", hehe.

With my NF friends, we can talk for hours at a time but always leave the conversation going "Damn, too bad we have to cut this off, there's so much MORE I wanted to talk about!".

It's sick. But cool! :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find that a Ne on Ne conversation often starts in one place, diverges, then comes right back around to where it started and ties it all together. It ends up covering a topic very thoroughly as every little side thought is explored. There's pauses here & there of "what were we talking about?" and then it jumps right back on track.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
my bff is an NF and we're kind of all over the place conversation wise but totally get what the other is saying. i very much enjoy and look forward to our talks. if i go too long without speaking to her, it concerns me.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I find I can have long conversations with other NF's on one topic because we explore so many avenues/facets of the topic that it doesn't get boring.

Usehername

On a mission
my bf is an NF and we're kind of all over the place conversation wise but totally get what the other is saying. i very much enjoy and look forward to our talks. if i go too long without speaking to her, it concerns me.

bf = boyfriend; bff = best friend, right? :isnowunsure:

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yep! I have a good conversation with a fellow N and it's like crack to me!! It's also like Spanish-effing-Fly to me in terms of attraction to a male. If he gives me good conversation, I'm like "Take your pants off NOW".

I probably shouldn't have shared that...

whatusername

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Hey, I find that I have this sort of conversation when I talk with/to my INFJ friend. The thing is, we never forget the main topic and where we left off.

Our main conversation would likely be interrupted by how the light from a streetlamp seems sad, or how we've been obsessing about the ruins of an old train station for years now without knowing the other did the same thing. That sort of thing. It's fortunate that we never forget the main topic though. Maybe it's an INFJ thing, I really don't know.