User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Cool Can Two NFs Hold a Straight Conversation?

I've noticed when talking to NF friends in real life that we can't keep our minds on one subject. If one of us tries to tell a story, we sidetrack constantly throughout telling it, and its telling is frequently paused then resumed.

This happens especially with my ENFP friend, not only in conversation, but in goals and plans. We'll constantly switch between things to do, and it ends up in us not getting anything done at all, hah.

This probably isn't just an NF thing, but has anyone had similar experiences?
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have an ENFP friend. If we're both really interested in a paticular topic, we can keep talking about it for hours. If a relevant side story pops up, we'll tell it, but we're always able to go back to the main subject.

I have another ENFP friend with who it could go both ways. If we're talking about something serious, we can continue the conversation. If it's just a fun conversation, we jump all over the place.

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

Who is interested in rehashing the same topic over and over again in the same conversation? Dull people, that's who. Part of how conversations work is that the subject naturally shifts over the course of the conversation. If the subject doesn't shift you are officially really boring.
    Anger is also a feeling.

Oh me and another enfp can go totally crazy and I can end up really tired.

This works better if I become more thinker like-I naturally tend to do this. The stronger the feeler, the less I use feelings to interact??

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sounds like typical Ne to me. xNTPs do it too, just usually more on informational topics and fields of interest / random trivia.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I've never tried to have a straight conversation.... cause... it's not very fun.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    I've noticed when talking to NF friends in real life that we can't keep our minds on one subject. If one of us tries to tell a story, we sidetrack constantly throughout telling it, and its telling is frequently paused then resumed.

This happens especially with my ENFP friend, not only in conversation, but in goals and plans. We'll constantly switch between things to do, and it ends up in us not getting anything done at all, hah.

This probably isn't just an NF thing, but has anyone had similar experiences?
    Yes fill, often. It's how N attempts to find connection... Ne dom naturally wanders all over the place because to Ne, they're all one big related topic. But for Ni dominant INFJ, problem stems from I think Ni on full throttle being too much for tert Ti. It's difficult to organize your thoughts and what you say in a systematical logical fashion because N by nature organize things by multiple relationship links... like a mind web. Sometimes it feels like I'm attempt to wangle all the connections down to a single straightish path... on the fly. Like an instantaneous decision on which of 3/4/5 etc route is the best for reaching where I want to go. Meanwhile Ni has already skip down two intersections. Then I realize I'm likely not making any sense and must loop back.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

LOL, somewhat. If it's an important enough topic, we'll keep coming back to it as we meander.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    This happens especially with my ENFP friend, not only in conversation, but in goals and plans.
    ENFP is the king of tangents.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    iNFp
    Enneagram
    4w3?

My best friend is an INFP also,
    we have regular convos, but we always get sidetracked on minor things we say that people usually don't pay attention to, and we totally lose track of what we were previously saying.

Painfully Bipolar