User Tag List

First 234

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I always have mixed feelings about movies of great books, too. People seem to elevate the movies way above the books, somehow, even if the movie's whole existence relies on the excellence of the book (regardless of how well the movie turns out.) It always seems as though there are loads of people who have barely heard of the book who get terribly excited about the movie, one way or another. This always prompts me to start dark mutterings like "get a life! read more books!"
    Tell me about it. I usually don't watch movies that are based on books at all. Especially, books that I love. They usually let me down. One that didn't was Les Misérables, which I read in the 7th grade. It was one of my favorite books as a young one, and also one of my favorite movies when it came out in the late 90's.

For those of you who love this book, did you also have a lot of other books around as a kid? Including lots of other picture books? Or did you just have a few, including this one?

Although everyone in my family is obsessed with books, and I started reading when I was three (and was very soon reading way, way ahead of my age...though I loved picture books at the normal age for them too), I/we didn't necessarily love all the "childhood favourites." Some, yes, but not all. I never got into Dr Seuss either.
    I was swamped in books growing up. Still am. Literally, swamped. Imagine an ENFP with 20+ years of books. It's a jungle.

I had a dedicated library in my house growing up. When I was younger, I would crawl under a chair drapped with a blanket to make it dark and just stare at the pictures in this book. Sometimes I'd put on my "dangerous" music, Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, and escape to wherever the wild things were. Escape. I think that is what the book is about. A temporary escape from childhood and the frustrations that come with it, and into the wide world of independence and freedom. I know that's why I could always relate to Max. I wonder if that is the draw for so many others.

And I have no love of Dr. Suess either. Now that one, I don't get. But my son does.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

For those of you who love this book, did you also have a lot of other books around as a kid? Including lots of other picture books? Or did you just have a few, including this one?
    I liked this book as a very young child, just learning to read at like age 4, and probably before that (my mom took us to the library from birth practically, and I owned TONS of books). It was the pictures I enjoyed. The illustrations are truly great, and they've always stuck in my mind. I draw though, so maybe that is why I get impressed by strongly visual things.

My favorite childhood books were actually The Phantom Tollbooth and the Ramona Quimby books, but this was a memorable picture book for me as a child.

So yeah, I would like to see the movie. From what I've seen of the previews, I don't think it visually looks like the book though. The book has more of a jungle/island feel, with a lot of texture and vivid color, and I didn't notice that in the preview (more woodsy and light/bright looking). I like Karen O (most visually interesting frontwoman since Siouxsie Sioux, IMO), so the soundtrack concept works for me, although it kind of sounds like Yeah Yeah Yeah album rejects.....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe