Socionics
    ENFp

^See! It's not just me!

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    ^See! It's not just me!
    Haha! Ok, I guess I just have to accept that it's not a universal childhood favorite. When did you first read the book?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    My company publishes this book and it is reprinting literally hundreds of thousands of copies at the moment, which for any book is incredible and for a picture book is unbelievable. I was never a huge fan of this book, actually. I recognize its importance and significance and all that but it just never quite clicked with me. As for the movie, I saw the trailer and it looks fun but it also looks nothing like the book, which I find somewhat off-putting (and yeah, I know that doing a movie of a picture book which actually sticks to the book is basically impossible. There's no pleasing me! )
    Really? The movie trailer kinda felt like everything I imagined beyond the book as a kid.

What is the significance of this movie? Why do you think so many children and adults are drawn to it?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I can't wait to see this. And the best part is my brother is coming home today, so we can go see it together! We both loved this book as children, and my brother is in the mood to watch The Brave Little Toaster for the first time in 10-15 years this weekend, so I'm sure I can persuade him to go see Where the Wild Things Are with me.

I've also been excited ever since I saw the first trailer for it. (In fact, I think the first thing I said when I saw that they were doing the movie was, "No way... Awesome!!")
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post

Really? The movie trailer kinda felt like everything I imagined beyond the book as a kid.

What is the significance of this movie? Why do you think so many children and adults are drawn to it?
    Well, I can totally relate to you loving the book so much that you imagined a wider story and the world of the story in more depth than is actually in the book. I am passionate about books of all sorts and I have done that with so many favourite books, and especially as a child. So I can imagine that if I had loved the book, the movie might seem to me to capture the spirit very nicely, or the wider story, or whatever. I mean, it wouldn’t be too much a movie if the kid just went and had a wild rumpus with the Wild Things, the end…it would last about ten minutes…

I certainly don’t dislike the book, I just never loved it. When it’s a book which is widely popular and which I also adore (like Lord of the Rings, let’s say) I never have a hard time understanding why so many people also adore it But I have to say that although I knew this was considered a great classic of picture books, I never knew there were so many people who were so passionately fond of it. And I guess it does bode well for the “spirit” of the book that most of them seem excited, rather than put off, by the trailer etc.

I always have mixed feelings about movies of great books, too. People seem to elevate the movies way above the books, somehow, even if the movie's whole existence relies on the excellence of the book (regardless of how well the movie turns out.) It always seems as though there are loads of people who have barely heard of the book who get terribly excited about the movie, one way or another. This always prompts me to start dark mutterings like "get a life! read more books!"

For those of you who love this book, did you also have a lot of other books around as a kid? Including lots of other picture books? Or did you just have a few, including this one?

Although everyone in my family is obsessed with books, and I started reading when I was three (and was very soon reading way, way ahead of my age...though I loved picture books at the normal age for them too), I/we didn't necessarily love all the "childhood favourites." Some, yes, but not all. I never got into Dr Seuss either.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP

I am Max, only older. I am so not kidding. "Let the wild rumpus start."

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Saw this. Not too wild about it (pun noted).
    I thought the visuals were spectacular and honestly they combined all kinds of things that had me smitten: Max's sweater at the beginning (I want to knit it!), an octopus toy, the Sahara desert, forests, late afternoon sunshine that lit through the Wild Things' fur, the whimsy.
    But the character interactions were awkward. I don't know how else to describe it. The Wild Things had weird dynamics going on between each other that were more suited to an adult movie (though it wasn't sexual or anything like that) and there didn't seem to be much character development. Not to mention no plot. And the "quirky" "indie" soundtrack.

But seriously, visually the best movie I've ever seen.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I loved this book as a kid. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

violaine

I have no desire to see this movie at all. It looks like one of those cool-by-numbers movies that I can totally imagine being pitched. 'Quirky' director: check! Retro, cutesy book idea: check! Band soundtrack: check! I have no other way to describe it but that it puts me in mind of the special insipidity Death Cab for Cutie possess and knitted cardigans and boy bangs. Bleh.

MBTI
    INFP

Never read the book but I LOVED the trailer so I'm surely gonna see this when it comes out in my area...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I liked it. Why did people think a movie directed by Spike Jonze would be a kiddie movie?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness