User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amelie View Post
    I think he sounds too dysfunctional to type. The MBTI is designed as a personality measure for a normal population, but he is taking drugs and displaying some fairly problematic behaviors...too hard to tell.
    I disagree. I don't think a person can be "too dysfunctional" to type. If that's the case, anyone with any sort of mental illness or personality disorder could not be typed.

    It's not about being dysfunctional, it's about *the way* he's displaying his dysfunction.

    There have been threads in this forum for typing Sylvia Plath and Eminem and Michael Jackson. Yeah, I think dysfunctional people can be typed.

    I have a type.

  2. #12
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,112

    Default

    I do think that dysfunctional people will display their dysfunction according to type. However, sometimes the fact that the shadow side of them is coming out, or that they are adopting different traits to cope with life circumstances (ie both parents having drug problems, ensuing insecurity etc) makes it hard to know. The behaviours displayed depend very much upon circumstances, the people surrounding them, how things are going in their personal life at the time and so on. This is what obscures or make the lines of someone's personality fuzzy for someone who does not know them extremely well.

  3. #13
    Senior Member amelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    XNFJ
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I disagree. I don't think a person can be "too dysfunctional" to type. If that's the case, anyone with any sort of mental illness or personality disorder could not be typed.

    It's not about being dysfunctional, it's about *the way* he's displaying his dysfunction.

    There have been threads in this forum for typing Sylvia Plath and Eminem and Michael Jackson. Yeah, I think dysfunctional people can be typed.

    I have a type.
    I'm not too familiar with the norms for the Myers-Briggs, but I believe it was normed on a non-clinical population, and would therefore be invalid (or less valid) on someone who belongs in a clinical setting. But, you might be right...

  4. #14
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    I love the analysis, and hope to get better at it, so thanks guys!


    I would agree, he is rather dysfunctional at 21. Nonetheless, his behavior has been very consistent with my cousin for quite awhile now. She did ask him why he wouldn't break up with the girlfriend, and he does seem to fear a break-up in general. Further, my cousin has made no commitment to him, although she loves him the drug use keeps her at a distance. He has publicly raged at his gf while high-all verbal-but still...My cousin was there to see it, and actually got him to calm down, but she is waiting to see if he cares to ever seek help before getting involved on a committed level. He also expressed to her that he doesn't want to be "alone". God, I'm glad I'm not 20ish anymore!!

    Has anyone read the book How To Stop Elderly Abuse? Strangely, it's all about the Myers Briggs, marriage compatibility, and the way the types act when being....dysfunctional. How to Stop Elderly Abuse: A ... - Google Books

    Also, according to this book the ESFP man can be a soul mate to the ENFP woman. And according to PersonalityDesk.com, opposites do not attract, and the ENFP does best with another ENFP, other NFs, and extroverted NTs. Interesting....

  5. #15
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think he sounds like an ESFP without question. I don't get ENFP at all.

    Do SPs talk in terms of their "dreams"?

  6. #16
    Senior Member SubjectA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    164

    Default

    ENFP or ESFP I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #17

    Default

    I've known an ESTP who fitted that pretty closely. Just because he fills out ENFP or ESFP actions, doesn't make him one. He may have just liked that image.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  8. #18
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I love the analysis, and hope to get better at it, so thanks guys!


    I would agree, he is rather dysfunctional at 21. Nonetheless, his behavior has been very consistent with my cousin for quite awhile now. She did ask him why he wouldn't break up with the girlfriend, and he does seem to fear a break-up in general. Further, my cousin has made no commitment to him, although she loves him the drug use keeps her at a distance. He has publicly raged at his gf while high-all verbal-but still...My cousin was there to see it, and actually got him to calm down, but she is waiting to see if he cares to ever seek help before getting involved on a committed level. He also expressed to her that he doesn't want to be "alone". God, I'm glad I'm not 20ish anymore!!

    Has anyone read the book How To Stop Elderly Abuse? Strangely, it's all about the Myers Briggs, marriage compatibility, and the way the types act when being....dysfunctional. How to Stop Elderly Abuse: A ... - Google Books

    Also, according to this book the ESFP man can be a soul mate to the ENFP woman. And according to PersonalityDesk.com, opposites do not attract, and the ENFP does best with another ENFP, other NFs, and extroverted NTs. Interesting....

    The odd thing about that was I was theorizing on that the other night.

    I still hold with ENFP though. Especially about the "dream" thing.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  9. #19
    Senior Member Heart&Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Help me type someone pleeze....

    *Extremely friendly/charming
    *Often seems to bubble over with joy(even has a little bounce to his walk)
    *Flirts with all the ladies(old, young, ugly, cute...)


    *Has developed a close relationship with my baby cousin(she seems very ENFP) and according to her, he has shared very private details of his life. That seemed surprising to me, because he seems to generally lack seriousness.
    *According to my little cuz, he had a bad childhood, expressed that he hates his mother, parents are divorced and drug users(has used coke with both parents before), and he has a little sister at home(the only reason he states he even talks to his mother is to talk to his sister) He told my cousin that he wants to get his sister out of his mother's house
    *He seems more outgoing than my cousin, and takes along to make rounds at parties

    *According to what my cousin said that he told her, he uses drugs frequently, and seemingly uses whatever he can get his hands on(has a coke preference). Apparently he sees some of this as problematic, because he turns to my cousin for moral support when he feels he used too much.

    *He has not tried to pressure her for sex, but he clearly wants some type of sexual relationship with her
    *They sit and talk for hours and hours about "everything" according to her
    *He is extremely sweet to me, and also has made an effort to get to know her mother(my sister).
    *He wants to know all about our family
    *He doesn't talk about the future of their relationship, but seems to assume that he will keep his gf(whose car he drives because he doesn't have his own) and also date my cousin
    *My baby cousin is very smart(going to college), so it seems he likes college-educated women even though he dropped out of HS
    *He has gone without a job for an extended period of time


    *At work, he is apparently very good with customers. Getting down on their level to speak to them, smiling a lot, being attentive, and trying to meet their needs
    *My cousin did state though that sometimes it seems he has a weak moral compass. For example, he worked at a restaurant for a time and dropped a spoon onto a dirty floor, and put it back into the serving dish citing that he didn't care because he didn't know the people and they didn't know he did it
    *He has said some blatantly inappropriate things to people from what I hear, always apologizing, but still...
    *He cracks a lot of jokes, and nothing seems to be off limits. My LC had to nearly break up a fight between this guy and another guy because this guy made a racial joke
    *He and my cousin sit around listening to music and discussing it together
    *He seems to dress well. Sometimes slightly peacocking with a flashy shirt. From what I've seen though, he dresses according to the trends, and accessorizes(hats, glasses, necklaces, sometimes diamond studs in his ears)
    *He's a good speaker, a bad speller, but sends my cousin cute notes to pass the time when they are at work
    *I'm confused between the F and T because frequently he seems to completely disregard the feelings of others as my cousin describes him, but he also seems incredibly sensitive to the her feelings, that of his sister, and other select people


    My cousin is 18, and she and this guy spend nearly all of their time together. He is extremely sweet to her, and has no problem telling her how he feels about her(thinks/dreams about her, is crazy about her, etc...) She considers ethics all the time, and he follows her lead if she points out something he is doing that seems to be insensitive. He seems to have a lot of respect for her and she him as well, and frankly the two of them work very well together and take cues from each other well too. Anyway, interested in knowing what type you guys think he is. Again, I'm pretty sure my cousin is an ENFP.
    ESFP. Definitely ESFP.
    Everything you've told reminds me of a female ESFP I know a bit. Extremely charming, reads situations and people's feelings and body language immediately and trusts her impulses as to how to interact with them to make things feel even better. Men hit on her when she is not flirting, and I think it's because she in a completely natural and unconscious way makes everybody around her feel seen and engaged simply with her powerful presence in the here&now. She is totally outgoing, much more than an ENFP like me. She dated my ENFJ-friend intensely (everything she does is intense!) for half a year and they didn't stay home to make dinner one single time during that period.

    A really big issue for him, and I guess for any NF with an ESFP, was exactly the dreams. They would dream about buying a house together and make a lot of babies. For an NF dreams are real motivators for action to come. He was feeding intuitions of the future. For her, on the contrary, talking about the future FELT NICE IN THE MOMENT. But it was only in the moment. It was a way to make their infatuated here&now even more intense. She loved to talk future plans, but it had no impact whatsoever on the actions she would take a day, a week or a year later. Or even an hour later sometimes!

    If she could stick with a normal plan for just the 15 minutes it took him to go to meet her, it was already impressive. Most likely the plan would have been changed a couple of times before he got there and they would end up doing yet another thing that just showed up on the horizon. Future plans even further than 15 minutes? Nope.

    They don't date anymore, but occasionally, when she hasn't got other things to do, she remembers the nice, warm feeling from sharing grand, loving dreams with him and calls him for a few hours to get that feeling again. Of course it still has no impact on building up to fulfilling dreams. The fulfilling IS the intense connection it creates in the moment.

    She is not dishonest about her feelings at that moment, not at all manipulative or calculating. She feels the truth of every word in the moment she says them. But an NF gets utterly confused to learn that IT IS ONLY IN THAT MOMENT. What the next moment will bring for her to feel warm and nice and intense about is unpredictable. NF's trust their intuition for the future. SP's trust their impulses for the here&now.
    That's why an impulse to engage in dreaming with an NF might seem N-ish, but it is really a way of working SP-magic to intensify positive interaction in the here&now. But idealistic dreams and NF-intuitions have zero influence on future choices for an ESFP like her. Needless to say, it hurts an NF when they discover that dreaming and dreaming can be two different things. Eventually it wore my friend's feelings thin.

    Oh - and with the flashy look?
    I've read that one way to tell the differences between ENFP and ESFP is that the ESFP knows how to apply nail polish so it looks good!

  10. #20
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    So we're between ESFP and ENFP-the look a likes.

Similar Threads

  1. Help me type Dog the Bounty Hunter
    By cafe in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
  2. help me type someone please
    By autobombo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
  3. Help me type someone!
    By JustHer in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 10:25 PM
  4. Please help me type someone :)
    By Chrysopase in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
  5. Can you help me type someone?
    By WobblyStilettos in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO