User Tag List

123 Last

Default ENFPs: The dark side of seeing potential

The ENFP perfectionist streak was brought up in the ENFP sex thread, so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

It was also mentioned in the socionics profile thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloee View Post
    Just as they see potential in others they see potential in themselves. They want desperately to actualize that potential to benefit not only them, but to set a good example for others to follow. They desire too much...
    This is actually one of the darker sides of the ENFP personality. It can be the driving force for learning, but it can also kill all the joy in it. Make an ENFP a person who is never satisfied or fulfilled.

What perfectionism do other ENFPs exhibit? And how does it affect you? (as an ENFP or other type around them)
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Hey is this Si popping through? Cuase I am not really a perfectionist at all, but I recalled our convo about spelling the other day. Maybe my Si bucket is empty.

I'm not sure, I know I am perfectionist in certain areas. And a few ENTPs mentioned a trend in guys they had dated who were ENFP. I certainly have a drive that I'd call perfectionist, or at least setting ridiculous standards for myself. Like I get annoyed with people imposing, but I've always been my harshest critic. I finished 3 months worth of work in 3 weeks at work before I went travelling, and was annoyed I didn't complete all of the 8 month project. My boss actually played on setting me it, because he knew I would try to get it done rather than settle for the fact it was obviously impossible. Maybe it's the pleasing people part too. Not sure.

My mother also pointed it out to me in a conversation the other week and said it can be stunting. You know we are more picky about what career we choose than any type in general also. There is this dream of moving everything toward what it can potentially be. And sometimes not really stopping and admiring what it is. Or accepting we are okay as we are. I actually searched a lot to see if I had any personality disorder or something at one stage, but it isn't driven by narcissism, paranoia, or anything. They would need a new one called progressionalist personality disorder or something. Like I compulsively want things to grow and improve. And most of the time when I cross lines it is in pursuit of this. I don't think it's healthy. Like I want to be able to do everything at the maximum possible level, and help anyone else. But I don't put the work in always to get there. I just beat around and chase a million different dreams.

Even when I'm solving something like this it is because it seems like it's stunting me. It's appealing to the same thing again, just in a personality sense. The problem is it doesn't end and have a time where I can use and make the most of it. It just continues. I kill a bit more of the present to raise the potential of the future.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'd say the ideal image that we strive so hard to accomplish is probably Fi and Si together.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Hmm, pleasing people yes-that seems very Fi, Driving tasks to completion, overcoming extreme odds-pushing to accomplish goals-all feels very Te to me. I need to go learn more about Si.

I think my question is, does it matter? What enjoyment or reward actually comes from progress? When you help someone see their dreams and strive for them, that is rewarding. But my dreams I'll never reach. I'll get further than a lot of others around me by trying, but I won't get the feeling of satisfaction they do. I called my university degree a piece of paper, and PhD three letters. If that isn't straight out arrogance, I don't know what. Like where is the appreciation of achievements? Where is the caring about all these other things people work for? I just use them as an enabler to get onto what I want to do next. I think I'm not in it for myself, but I'm not really doing much for anyone else.

I actually wouldn't mind an open all out analysis of my brain, because I know something isn't quite in place. Being impartial to applause is definitely a symptom of a few things. You could throw a party in my honour and stuff still wouldn't get through. I'd keep on thinking I needed to do better, even if not for them, for myself.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Isn't Si what makes us nostalgic? I know that I have a thing for old traditions and folklore and my Fi loves incorporating that in who I am. Isn't that Si though?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Maybe I'm not sure. I always test low on Si, but have a feeling we use it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The glory of doing something to my full capability-being and doing my absolute best- is such a great glory. It's not necessarily the outcome of it, but what it represents, IMO. Doing something your absolute best is perfection to me. And I know that when I take an edge and tackle something with all I've got, the outcome, whatever it may be, grants me a self of pride and respect for myself. I don't like doing anything half-assed. If I am going to do something, I am going to do it good, and right.

I don't know if other ENFPs are like this.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Yep, if you do it, do it well.

My view of what my full capacity is, rose to be impossible though. That might be the problem here. I proof of concept, and it doesn't say I can't. But I try to do it and I'm scared I'll never get there. Like my dreams are on such grand scales that I'd trump most narcissists.

There's two things now for my list also: Grand, unrealistic dreams (though I don't believe the unrealistic part). Impartial to praise.

My friend who is a doctor (INTJ), calls me someone who would score perfect on any psyche test, but also jokes about me having Napoleonic dreams of taking over the world.