• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Give Wonka A Piece of Your Mind....

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
This thread is designed as an outlet for people who can not seem to contain their desire to nitpick, overanalyze and discount every word I post.

If you have an intense fixation on some detail(s) in any of my posts, please quote me (don't paraphrase me) and address your issue(s) here, instead of derailing threads and wasting everyone's time.

Thank you. :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
:yay:

NOW you're talkin'. :) You've made me and my Ti very happy. :yes:

Okay, Wonka...

Could you define "assertive" and "equivocal" as you used them in the test, and explain what kind of behaviors would be associated with each of them? I just made my choice on the basis of being sure I was NOT assertive, so I must be whatever the other one was. I'm not even sure what equivocal means, honestly. Is it like passive, compliant, or what?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I would like to suggest that unless it is conducive to the direction of the discussion, or there is truly something they need help understanding, people not nitpick for their own entertainment. If they have something to say, I also can't see why a public discussion should be the venue to pursue it. In most cases of true misunderstanding, more information is just lacking. This can be gotten quickly and privately without becoming personal. If you are being critical just for the sake of it, it might be worth considering why you are so quick to do that. Often it says more about something you want or need, and there are more productive ways to have those wants or needs fulfilled by others.

Athenian, if you are not sure of a definition, quickly check it online rather than getting your back up. If something else is really the underlying issue, spit it out, but not for everyone to see.

Wonka, I understand your frustration, but I can't see anything good coming out of this in a public way.

Both of you are valuable contributors to this forum and I'd hate to see either of you feel alienated by the interactions here.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would like to suggest that unless it is conducive to the direction of the discussion, or there is truly something they need help understanding, people not nitpick for their own entertainment. If they have something to say, I also can't see why a public discussion should be the venue to pursue it. In most cases of true misunderstanding, more information is just lacking. This can be gotten quickly and privately without becoming personal. If you are being critical just for the sake of it, it might be worth considering why you are so quick to do that. Often it says more about something you want or need, and there are more productive ways to have those wants or needs fulfilled by others.

Athenian, if you are not sure of a definition, quickly check it online rather than getting your back up. If something else is really the underlying issue, spit it out, but not for everyone to see.

Wonka, I understand your frustration, but I can't see anything good coming out of this in a public way.

Both of you are valuable contributors to this forum and I'd hate to see either of you feel alienated by the interactions here.

I think you are both valuable contributors on this forum.

If I have to interact that way, I don't want to post. Your way takes all the fun out of it.

Sigh. I'm getting so tired of the kind of oversensitive people that post here now... I guess it's time to go back to the tech forums. :(

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Challenging someone's thesis is different than picking at them personally. Some people might not mind it, but if you see you've struck a nerve, I'm not sure what you are gaining personally by continuing.

One of the purposes of understanding type at all is seeing how we interact naturally and also where we step on each other's toes so that we do not do it unnecessarily.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's not any more oversensitive for someone to express their issue with how you communicate than it is for you...ours just has to do with our belief that people should be treated respectfully and yours has to do with precision in wording...ti vs fi i guess.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Coming out of what? This thread?

I don't see the harm in it.

I will decide when and if to respond.

Mostly, its to let the little buggers vent. ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
it's not any more oversensitive for someone to express their issue with how you communicate than it is for you...ours just has to do with our belief that people should be treated respectfully and yours has to do with precision in wording...ti vs fi i guess.

Yeah, but what you consider respect... is actually something I would consider almost condescending, and a little boring. Seriously, that's how different we are. I tend to feel more insulted if people DON'T criticize my ideas. Just having them agree with me or stick within the topic would honestly bore me.

Yes, you can communicate it. I'm just frustrated that you're creating the expectation for me to comply with it. It shouldn't be my problem that you want to communicate with others that way.

I CAN do it on a specific thread if I must, but if I have to adopt that particular way of communicating in general... it's uncomfortable enough that I'd rather just never say anything at all than have to abide by it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This should probably go in the "NF Personal Threads" section.

Geeeeeeeeeez!!!!!!! :steam:

heart

heart on fire

The problem with that is so many people make up their own definitions so it always seems best to clarify these things.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to say, I really don't know where you're coming from when you post these threads full of frustration etc. It's quite annoying, you could just as easily negative rep the hell out of the comments that you dislike until they either stop or argue with them profile to profile until you reach some kind of agreement. Most of the comments you appear to be entirely against seem rather harmless as well. I think the problem here is that you're striving for perfection when you post, and you expect the same kind of effort, love and care when others make a post. Those people aren't going to change their ways overnight, they first need to come to the same agreement that you have come to: the forum is a place to exchange VALID knowledge of a high level of quality... and tbh, I don't think that many people are here for that at all.

I also seem to get quite clear arrogance vibe from you, I doubt that it's intentional, you're probably quite knowledgeable and such. I don't have anything against you, I like some of the stuff you've contributed, it's just that some of the other stuff comes across this way.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
:yay:

NOW you're talkin'. :) You've made me and my Ti very happy. :yes:

Okay, Wonka...

Could you define "assertive" and "equivocal" as you used them in the test, and explain what kind of behaviors would be associated with each of them? I just made my choice on the basis of being sure I was NOT assertive, so I must be whatever the other one was. I'm not even sure what equivocal means, honestly. Is it like passive, compliant, or what?

Good. I'm happy to provide a venue for you to work these things out. :)

And, I actually ended up changing the word "equivocal" to "equivocating".

It's slightly more appropriate to put it that way.

I'm basically defining "equivocating" as "deliberately ambiguous or modest" as opposed to "assertive"--meaning "bold, frank, or outspoken".

It may be worthwhile to use more accessible terms than equivocating and assertive.

I'll think about it.

I really value input from others, but I just think it can be distracting when you're trying to gather data and/or have fun, and its just constant debate and criticism flooding the thread.

Thanks for giving me your input here. :)

I really appreciate it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, but what you consider respect... is actually something I would consider almost condescending, and a little boring. Seriously, that's how different we are. I tend to feel more insulted if people DON'T criticize my ideas. Just having them agree with me or stick within the topic would honestly bore me.

Yes, you can communicate it. I'm just frustrated that you're creating the expectation for me to comply with it. It shouldn't be my problem that you want to communicate with others that way.

I CAN do it on a specific thread if I must, but if I have to adopt that particular way of communicating in general... it's uncomfortable enough that I'd rather just never say anything at all than have to abide by it.

oh don't misunderstand...i don't personally care how you communicate...was just expressing that from my experience most people do take issue with nitpicky comments and that i doubt anybody appreciates it...just you know so if ya cared about how others perceived ya...you'd know...i'm pretty used to just skipping posts that i don't feel the need to respond to...this particular instance provoked more of that advocacy thing in me i guess...but it's not at all personal.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Good. I'm happy to provide a venue for you to work these things out. :)

And, I actually ended up changing the word "equivocal" to "equivocating".

It's slightly more appropriate to put it that way.

I'm basically defining "equivocating" as "deliberately ambiguous or modest" as opposed to "assertive"--meaning "bold, frank, or outspoken".

It may be worthwhile to use more accessible terms than equivocating and assertive.

I'll think about it.

I really value input from others, but I just think it can be distracting when you're trying to gather data and/or have fun, and its just constant debate and criticism flooding the thread.

Thanks for giving me your input here. :)

I really appreciate it.

:)

That makes perfect sense, thanks! That's not quite what I thought at first, but I think I get it now.

It seems like you do get where I'm coming from, eventually... sometimes it just takes a little bit of time for us to meet in the middle. ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
oh don't misunderstand...i don't personally care how you communicate...was just expressing that from my experience most people do take issue with nitpicky comments and that i doubt anybody appreciates it...just you know so if ya cared about how others perceived ya...you'd know...i'm pretty used to just skipping posts that i don't feel the need to respond to...this particular instance provoked more of that advocacy thing in me i guess...but it's not at all personal.

Hmm... I guess that is something I'll want to remember if I'm ever in a place with more Extraverts/Feelers/etc. I have a feeling you're probably right about most people in the world, though not most people I've had experience with here.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
You know what really grinds my gears?

YOU Wonka. Fuck you.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I just feel that if you know what a person is trying to say in a thread, it doesn't matter about the details. A lot of people have tunnel vision for details- typos, phrasing errors, or vague definitions- and it gets really annoying and shows that you could care less for the actual thread, and are just overly obsessive with perfection.

But if you are really unsure of something, I also don't think it wrong to ask. But to ask in an annoyed manner just makes things worse. Believe it or not, but you kind of have to go out on a limb to post a thread knowing that people will/might get annoyed at it. I feel like this a lot because of said reasons. Have a little more respect, and perhaps try asking and communicating in a nicer method? It's a lot easier, and keeps you in good regards with other people. Because when you aren't respectful to others threads, they lose respect for you. And you can ultimately lose respect for yourself.