User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extroverted Introvert or Intoverted Extrovert?

Patron Saint Of Smileys Array Gloriana's Avatar

I'm an INFJ and this thread seems to be about INFPs (a type I don't know a lot about) but I wanted to throw in.

I am not a shy person either, and I too made a living being on a stage as an Improv performer. All my MBTI tests always came back with INFJ and it confused me because I associated 'introversion' with 'shyness', as I think a lot of people do. My family is comprised of all introverts like me, but the rest of my family is pretty much comprised of hermits. I'm loud at times, opinionated, and genuinely like being with people. Very confusing!

I saw an illustration in an MBTI book once that made things so clear to me. It was supposed to illustrate the main difference between introverts and extroverts. The figure of the extrovert was depicted with a wire coming from himself that was plugged into the world, whereas the introvert was depicted with the wire plugged into himself. Basically saying "An extrovert gets their energy from the people and world around them, the introvert gets their energy from within themselves".

It made perfect sense to me. I get a kick out of people and crave companionship just like anyone, I just crave it less, it takes more out of me, and I need alone time to recharge. I'm not shy, I just don't get energy from others as much as I do from my alone time. I might spend a whole day with people I love or I might spend a day performing, but it will drain my resources and I need quiet time alone to refill the energy I need to do it all again, if that makes sense

An extrovert might be shy, but they will get their energy refilled simply by being around people. I know a couple of people who have a painfully hard time talking to anyone at parties or gatherings but want to go all the same. They'll come back feeling good and energized from being around others even if they spoke to no one.

I went on a little longer than I intended, but I hope this was perhaps helpful

half-nut member Array briochick's Avatar
    ;) sx

Thanks. I thought it was interesting because on Sunday I went out to lunch with the church group I had attended and I had a great and rather lively conversation with three very interesting and different people. It was awesome, and I came home and talked to my father about it, and I was hyper for about half an hour, and then ttthhhtt! all my energy was gone. I didn't even have the energy to go to my regular church (which I adore), I just wanted to sleep. I used to be very shy, but I don't really have that option anymore. Of course, I used to also be a cutter and I don't do that either.

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt