User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default N and remembering details?

All of my sensor friends can watch a movie and remember every detail. They can replay almost every line of dialogue months later. And these people see a lot of movies!

I can remember movies vividly where my emotions were stirred, but otherwise I only keep a general idea about what occured. Someone can quote a movie that I've seen and I won't recognize it. I remember books much better, however. [Unless I skimmed through really quickly.]

Is this an N thing? Or something to do with F, regarding personal significance and memory? I'm tired of feeling out of the loop. O_o

I can remember all the visuals and the sequence of scenes. Also, why it happened the way it happened but I can't remember lines or the names of characters. I have an Si friend who is beyond good at that part.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I always remember little insignificant details that almost nothing to do with anything.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

we're spending time focused on meaning, symbolism, interpretation, and the various ways in which the information we perceive is connected. we explore connections between the objects on screen, they focus on concrete details and facts.

to them what was funny or engrossing was the actual surface, whereas to us the context is what we need to jog our memories more than the specific image or line

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    we're spending time focused on meaning, symbolism, interpretation, and the various ways in which the information we perceive is connected. we explore connections between the objects on screen, they focus on concrete details and facts.

to them what was funny or engrossing was the actual surface, whereas to us the context is what we need to jog our memories more than the specific image or line
    Probably true.

Like the OP, when it comes to movies/books, I have no capacity for details (meaning: they aren't what's important to me or what I'm focusing on). In fact I typically don't even know the names of various characters, even after having just watching the movie/show, or having recently read the book. And quotes? Forget it!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i'm not too good at remembering events and random stuff that happens, but i have a crazy memory regarding people close to me (names, what a person said in a conversation we had some years ago, etc.)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have a good memory, but not to the extent you're describing. I don't see my memory as a handicap like it seems to be to a lot of N types (namely ENP), but it's not really a strength. It's just sorta... normal. This is all just speculation though.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    infp

I could read a book, watch a movie, and within the same day forget most of the details.

The longer time that has passed, the more detail I can remember, but we are talking years in between.

I can remember details to films and books from years ago, but not last week.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

your resident asshole

I'm not sure if it really depends on type. Maybe it has to do with Si to an extent. :/ Either way, I have a terrible memory so I never remember that stuff.

MBTI
    xxxx

Coeur, do they(your friends) remember the meaning and context behind the lines, or just the lines themselves?

I'm largely skeptical of the proposition that the average S can remember details in the manner that you have just described. Does this level of memory arise after seeing the movie once or multiple times? While not impossible, it seems unlikely that your friends will have what appears to be, superficially, an astounding memory. My guess is there is some "trick" or "key" to the talent you've seen them perform.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?