• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] N and remembering details?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
All of my sensor friends can watch a movie and remember every detail. They can replay almost every line of dialogue months later. And these people see a lot of movies!

I can remember movies vividly where my emotions were stirred, but otherwise I only keep a general idea about what occured. Someone can quote a movie that I've seen and I won't recognize it. I remember books much better, however. [Unless I skimmed through really quickly.]

Is this an N thing? Or something to do with F, regarding personal significance and memory? I'm tired of feeling out of the loop. o_O

wolfy

awsm
I can remember all the visuals and the sequence of scenes. Also, why it happened the way it happened but I can't remember lines or the names of characters. I have an Si friend who is beyond good at that part.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I always remember little insignificant details that almost nothing to do with anything.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we're spending time focused on meaning, symbolism, interpretation, and the various ways in which the information we perceive is connected. we explore connections between the objects on screen, they focus on concrete details and facts.

to them what was funny or engrossing was the actual surface, whereas to us the context is what we need to jog our memories more than the specific image or line

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
we're spending time focused on meaning, symbolism, interpretation, and the various ways in which the information we perceive is connected. we explore connections between the objects on screen, they focus on concrete details and facts.

to them what was funny or engrossing was the actual surface, whereas to us the context is what we need to jog our memories more than the specific image or line

:yes: Probably true.

Like the OP, when it comes to movies/books, I have no capacity for details (meaning: they aren't what's important to me or what I'm focusing on). In fact I typically don't even know the names of various characters, even after having just watching the movie/show, or having recently read the book. And quotes? Forget it!

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
i'm not too good at remembering events and random stuff that happens, but i have a crazy memory regarding people close to me (names, what a person said in a conversation we had some years ago, etc.)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a good memory, but not to the extent you're describing. I don't see my memory as a handicap like it seems to be to a lot of N types (namely ENP), but it's not really a strength. It's just sorta... normal. This is all just speculation though.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I could read a book, watch a movie, and within the same day forget most of the details.

The longer time that has passed, the more detail I can remember, but we are talking years in between.

I can remember details to films and books from years ago, but not last week.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm not sure if it really depends on type. Maybe it has to do with Si to an extent. :/ Either way, I have a terrible memory so I never remember that stuff.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Coeur, do they(your friends) remember the meaning and context behind the lines, or just the lines themselves?

I'm largely skeptical of the proposition that the average S can remember details in the manner that you have just described. Does this level of memory arise after seeing the movie once or multiple times? While not impossible, it seems unlikely that your friends will have what appears to be, superficially, an astounding memory. My guess is there is some "trick" or "key" to the talent you've seen them perform.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Coeur, do they(your friends) remember the meaning and context behind the lines, or just the lines themselves?

I'm largely skeptical of the proposition that the average S can remember details in the manner that you have just described. Does this level of memory arise after seeing the movie once or multiple times? While not impossible, it seems unlikely that your friends will have what appears to be, superficially, an astounding memory. My guess is there is some "trick" or "key" to the talent you've seen them perform.

Some have seen certain TV shows repeatedly. My friend can quote anything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer in context, including the season, disk, and episode it was on. Obviously, she's watched it a lot.

Others just see the movie once, and they seem to remember certain quotes that amused them that I would've forgotten. For their more favorite movies, they've seen them more than once. Maybe that's it. Or, maybe they pay closer attention to the media than I do.

Thinking about it, you're right in saying that it may have something to do with watching something more than once. They do seem to have an affinity for remembering quotes, however.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Coeur, there must be a trick to this. I know people that do that too.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm wondering what the trick is. They don't seem to do it on purpose. I know one of my friends who is highly intelligent, so his memory doesn't surprise me. But I know that I'm more intelligent than a lot of the others.

Personally, my best memory comes from an emotional tie. I study best when it is carefree and I respond with wordplay/amusing thoughts regarding the material. I remember that during this one history test I was taking, my memory stalled. Then, I thought: "hamburger!" which I had been thinking about while I was studying. The rest of the material immedietely came rushing into my head in droves. Point being, if I just look at irrelevant facts I will NOT remember them. I need to have some interest in it.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All of my sensor friends can watch a movie and remember every detail. They can replay almost every line of dialogue months later. And these people see a lot of movies!

I can remember movies vividly where my emotions were stirred, but otherwise I only keep a general idea about what occured. Someone can quote a movie that I've seen and I won't recognize it. I remember books much better, however. [Unless I skimmed through really quickly.]

Is this an N thing? Or something to do with F, regarding personal significance and memory? I'm tired of feeling out of the loop. o_O

yeah, I can't remember anything that I've read until someone else jogs my memory, all I remember is that it was 'epic' or 'boring', and if the movie/book sucked, I'll discuss why, but still not remember half the details.

I remember just a while ago, discussing a book I lent to a friend (INFJ), there was a transition between this book and the last, and I thought it was stupid because the best part of the entire book occurred after the ending of the first, the 'evil' guy was killed by an even more 'evil' guy, it would have made sense to include that at the end of the first book to make a climax of sorts. She said that the transition between the books represented the main characters emotional maturity (or something like that), rather than what was actually happening in the book. She ended up devouring the second book over night... I was incredibly impressed, I struggled to read any of it... I still haven't read it, it got boring.

An guy I know (ISFJ) finds it entertaining to just spew out millions and millions of quotes off the top of his head, as soon as anyone else said anything, they were cut out again by another one of his quotes. He's an actor and prides himself in knowing every single line of the classics. I don't know how anyone could watch movies that much, I only ever watch movies when it's with other people really. The trick is, say them to people, all the time, just share lines from everything you know. You learn by teaching, the more people you say it to, the better you'll recall it later on... but who cares about quoting stuff, that's just boring and unimaginative, I'd rather just scream GOLFCLUBS! or learn about howitzers :yes:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah the whole type has a lot to do with what details are noticed, processed, stored, and retrieved.

dominant N types are the worst at S. they can't remember concrete details worth shit. f types remember whole webs, t types remember linear connections, causal association, this leads to this. everyone has all but the ordering effects the way the memory is layered like a lasagna.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
yeah, I can't remember anything that I've read until someone else jogs my memory, all I remember is that it was 'epic' or 'boring', and if the movie/book sucked, I'll discuss why, but still not remember half the details.

Same here.

I have a friend [ESFJ?] who is the one who knows everything about Buffy. Additionally, she knows a lot about all of the shows that she watches. She watches a LOT of TV. I've noticed, though, that most of her observations are superficial facts. I point out details in movies that she would never think of.

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
yeah the whole type has a lot to do with what details are noticed, processed, stored, and retrieved.

dominant N types are the worst at S. they can't remember concrete details worth shit. f types remember whole webs, t types remember linear connections, causal association, this leads to this. everyone has all but the ordering effects the way the memory is layered like a lasagna.

This makes sense.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ

Exactly this. I remember the mood, the symbolism, the message but forget the details all the time. I try to explain why I got this feeling about a movie or a book to someone and then I realize I've forgotten basic parts of the plot. Of course, this is just with good writing. Bad writing doesn't have a message or symbols to read into. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can remember all the visuals and the sequence of scenes. Also, why it happened the way it happened but I can't remember lines or the names of characters. I have an Si friend who is beyond good at that part.
Me too. Maybe those weird people who remember stuff are mostly S's (my bet is SJ) but I don't think all Ss necessarily have the knack for it.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sp types act it out in front of you? borrow the style?