User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Coeur, do they(your friends) remember the meaning and context behind the lines, or just the lines themselves?

I'm largely skeptical of the proposition that the average S can remember details in the manner that you have just described. Does this level of memory arise after seeing the movie once or multiple times? While not impossible, it seems unlikely that your friends will have what appears to be, superficially, an astounding memory. My guess is there is some "trick" or "key" to the talent you've seen them perform.
    Some have seen certain TV shows repeatedly. My friend can quote anything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer in context, including the season, disk, and episode it was on. Obviously, she's watched it a lot.

Others just see the movie once, and they seem to remember certain quotes that amused them that I would've forgotten. For their more favorite movies, they've seen them more than once. Maybe that's it. Or, maybe they pay closer attention to the media than I do.

Thinking about it, you're right in saying that it may have something to do with watching something more than once. They do seem to have an affinity for remembering quotes, however.

your resident asshole

Coeur, there must be a trick to this. I know people that do that too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm wondering what the trick is. They don't seem to do it on purpose. I know one of my friends who is highly intelligent, so his memory doesn't surprise me. But I know that I'm more intelligent than a lot of the others.

Personally, my best memory comes from an emotional tie. I study best when it is carefree and I respond with wordplay/amusing thoughts regarding the material. I remember that during this one history test I was taking, my memory stalled. Then, I thought: "hamburger!" which I had been thinking about while I was studying. The rest of the material immedietely came rushing into my head in droves. Point being, if I just look at irrelevant facts I will NOT remember them. I need to have some interest in it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur View Post
    All of my sensor friends can watch a movie and remember every detail. They can replay almost every line of dialogue months later. And these people see a lot of movies!

I can remember movies vividly where my emotions were stirred, but otherwise I only keep a general idea about what occured. Someone can quote a movie that I've seen and I won't recognize it. I remember books much better, however. [Unless I skimmed through really quickly.]

Is this an N thing? Or something to do with F, regarding personal significance and memory? I'm tired of feeling out of the loop. O_o
    yeah, I can't remember anything that I've read until someone else jogs my memory, all I remember is that it was 'epic' or 'boring', and if the movie/book sucked, I'll discuss why, but still not remember half the details.

I remember just a while ago, discussing a book I lent to a friend (INFJ), there was a transition between this book and the last, and I thought it was stupid because the best part of the entire book occurred after the ending of the first, the 'evil' guy was killed by an even more 'evil' guy, it would have made sense to include that at the end of the first book to make a climax of sorts. She said that the transition between the books represented the main characters emotional maturity (or something like that), rather than what was actually happening in the book. She ended up devouring the second book over night... I was incredibly impressed, I struggled to read any of it... I still haven't read it, it got boring.

An guy I know (ISFJ) finds it entertaining to just spew out millions and millions of quotes off the top of his head, as soon as anyone else said anything, they were cut out again by another one of his quotes. He's an actor and prides himself in knowing every single line of the classics. I don't know how anyone could watch movies that much, I only ever watch movies when it's with other people really. The trick is, say them to people, all the time, just share lines from everything you know. You learn by teaching, the more people you say it to, the better you'll recall it later on... but who cares about quoting stuff, that's just boring and unimaginative, I'd rather just scream GOLFCLUBS! or learn about howitzers
    5 3 9

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

yeah the whole type has a lot to do with what details are noticed, processed, stored, and retrieved.

dominant N types are the worst at S. they can't remember concrete details worth shit. f types remember whole webs, t types remember linear connections, causal association, this leads to this. everyone has all but the ordering effects the way the memory is layered like a lasagna.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

yeah, I can't remember anything that I've read until someone else jogs my memory, all I remember is that it was 'epic' or 'boring', and if the movie/book sucked, I'll discuss why, but still not remember half the details.
    Same here.

I have a friend [ESFJ?] who is the one who knows everything about Buffy. Additionally, she knows a lot about all of the shows that she watches. She watches a LOT of TV. I've noticed, though, that most of her observations are superficial facts. I point out details in movies that she would never think of.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    yeah the whole type has a lot to do with what details are noticed, processed, stored, and retrieved.

dominant N types are the worst at S. they can't remember concrete details worth shit. f types remember whole webs, t types remember linear connections, causal association, this leads to this. everyone has all but the ordering effects the way the memory is layered like a lasagna.
    This makes sense.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    we're spending time focused on meaning, symbolism, interpretation, and the various ways in which the information we perceive is connected. we explore connections between the objects on screen, they focus on concrete details and facts.

to them what was funny or engrossing was the actual surface, whereas to us the context is what we need to jog our memories more than the specific image or line
    Exactly this. I remember the mood, the symbolism, the message but forget the details all the time. I try to explain why I got this feeling about a movie or a book to someone and then I realize I've forgotten basic parts of the plot. Of course, this is just with good writing. Bad writing doesn't have a message or symbols to read into.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I can remember all the visuals and the sequence of scenes. Also, why it happened the way it happened but I can't remember lines or the names of characters. I have an Si friend who is beyond good at that part.
    Me too. Maybe those weird people who remember stuff are mostly S's (my bet is SJ) but I don't think all Ss necessarily have the knack for it.
    -end of thread-

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

sp types act it out in front of you? borrow the style?