• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] What book should every NF read?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The Book Siddartha is the book of the Buddha. If you aren't at all open to any thing Buddhist, than I don't reccomend it, as it is a spiritual book. I am not particularly Buddhist, but the book was such an enlightening journey that I believe any NF, regardless of faith can gain some englightenment from it, as well.

It's the story of seeking self truth. Destruction of the ego, destorying the self. How it always dynamic. How we can learn from those most opposite us. For instance, the Buddha meets a selfish upper class princess who despices the Buddha because he is a wanderer and has poor clothes and no pocessions on. He is drawn to her because she has what he lacks. She serves as his teacher and he learns from her. This aspect of learning from others what you don't have, even if it is not what you seek, is a wise decision.

This book really meant something to me. I really really reccoment it. Please don't judge it because it is of Buddhist teachings. Gain some depth and overlook this aspect. I can find that it can talk to all of us, regardless of faith.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
The Book Siddartha is the book of the Buddha. If you aren't at all open to any thing Buddhist, than I don't reccomend it, as it is a spiritual book. I am not particularly Buddhist, but the book was such an enlightening journey that I believe any NF, regardless of faith can gain some englightenment from it, as well.

It's the story of seeking self truth. Destruction of the ego, destorying the self. How it always dynamic. How we can learn from those most opposite us. For instance, the Buddha meets a selfish upper class princess who despices the Buddha because he is a wanderer and has poor clothes and no pocessions on. He is drawn to her because she has what he lacks. She serves as his teacher and he learns from her. This aspect of learning from others what you don't have, even if it is not what you seek, is a wise decision.

This book really meant something to me. I really really reccoment it. Please don't judge it because it is of Buddhist teachings. Gain some depth and overlook this aspect. I can find that it can talk to all of us, regardless of faith.

Are you talking about the Herman Hesse book or simply the recounts of Guatama Buddha's life in Buddhist texts? I'm guessing the former. Hesse's Siddhartha is an amazing read, though the main character, Siddhartha, is not Guatama Buddha (he's a minor character). You're right though, Siddhartha is very open ended. People with no background in Buddhist philosophy can easily pick it up. I highly recommend it.

heart

heart on fire
I had no sympathy for Madame Bovary either. I had only a little for Anna Karenina, but I don't think Tolstoy meant for you to have much. I did enjoy his contrast of her & her brother's affairs (she ends up with sooo many problems from her infidelity, but he keeps messing around while his wife has all the anguish).

Yes, exactly, I had a little more sympathy for Anna than I did Bovary but I lost it when she threw herself in front of the train.

I did have much sympathy for Edna in The Awakening though. That's another good NF read.

Yes, I felt the same way.

OMG, did all of us take comp lit in school? LOL

We never got to read good books like this when I was in school. I hated the stuff they gave me to read in World Lit in college, except one story called Sula.

In High School, the best we got was to watch the PBS version of the Scarlet Letter on the TV. Oh yeah, they made a big deal out of us reading Great Expectations in 9th grade but that was it.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
"The Last Lecture" - Randy Pausch

I've not felt myself agreeing more with any author in my life. Except maybe for Ovid. But his stories don't count here (lol).

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Seems some of us dislike the more popular book franchises. Just curious what books NFs absolutely hate.

Twilight is a given for most. I personally liked Harry Potter until book 6. Tom was given too little dimension (generic EVIL, lame), the romance felt artificial and like bad fanfiction. Meanwhile I LOVED 3 and 5 though. PoA for being just brilliant writing without a wasted word and nicely all tied together. OotP because of the dangers of government control and how people delude themselves to avoid acknowledging truth. (Didn't hurt there was a lot of focus on the older generation either.) :)

For non-popular franchises... I just can't read Dickens. I can appreciate his message and his storylines but I just can't get into his style of writing.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Grapes of Wrath is another favorite...I actually love anything by Steinbeck.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Lightbearer -Donna Gillespie (you'll love the main character)

The Eddas (or at least the folk tales based on the Eddas)

A Fairytale Book based on the Grimm stories

The Kamasutra (tantra is NF sex imo :alttongue:)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems some of us dislike the more popular book franchises. Just curious what books NFs absolutely hate.

As a rule, I dislike almost all genre fiction, particularly science-fiction & fantasy. As a child, I did read the first Chronicles of Narnia, but got bored with the rest. I liked the Ramona Quimby books and some Nancy Drew, but mysteries bore me as an adult. That's as close as I've ever got to a series. Now, I almost exclusively read classic literature.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We never got to read good books like this when I was in school.

We had a pretty good list of books we read in HS. There wasn't much analytical discussion though. It was just read the book and take a test and maybe write an essay.

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
Great recommendations, everyone! This thread compelled me to post for the first time in a long time (what can I say, I love books). There are too many good books out there to list, but these are ones that I think would appeal to NFs, and fellow INFJs in particular:

The Winter of Our Discontent (Steinbeck):

I have a tendency to fold down page corners when I find a particularly wonderful idea or phrase in a book. By the time I was finished with this one, every other page was folded down. Perfect reading for NFs of all kinds.

War & Peace (Tolstoy):
Yes, it is long, but I cannot stress how rewarding the read is. I can't think of any other author who had such an amazing ability to create realistic, complicated, interesting characters, who remain relevant in modern times.

The Master and Margarita (Bulgakov):

Beautiful and bizarre. An amazing piece of magical realism complete with a pistol-wielding cat and the Devil himself.

The Baron in the Trees (Calvino):

I'd recommend anything Calvino has written, but this was my introduction him and the book follows a more traditional storyline than some of his other works.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
The Incredible Journey of Edward Tulane - a children's story that really isn't about a toy rabbit who ends up living with many different people throughout his lifespan and how he eventually learns to care about others and to love even when it means the pain of loss.

Same author as the Tale of Desperaux (although if you have seen the movie, it is not at all like the book!). Also by her - A Tiger Rising, written for young adults (I usually hate that genre) but it is a wonderful story.

The Velveteen Rabbit - children's story. Warning for overactive imaginations in NF children: do not keep a copy of childcraft encyclopedia on childhood diseases in the house. I was positive that my tongue looked like the girl's in the picture and that I had Scarlet Fever like the kid in the book and all of my dearest things would have to be burned to eradicate the germs!

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
The Velveteen Rabbit - children's story.

Oh god, the Velveteen Rabbit. My mother thought I was insane for how much the movie version made me cry.

Oh overly sensitive NFs,... a couple of years back I felt so guilty trading in my first CAR because it hadn't broken down completely and it was like I was betraying it. Didn't help that they gave me the base amount it was worth. I wanted to yell at them that it had more worth than they gave it credit for. Haha.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hmm, if we're gonna go there - Charlotte's Web.

I liked Aesop's Fables growing up. And Brer Rabbit. Little did I know it was speaking to my budding Fi? Or no?

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh god, the Velveteen Rabbit. My mother thought I was insane for how much the movie version made me cry.

Oh overly sensitive NFs,... a couple of years back I felt so guilty trading in my first CAR because it hadn't broken down completely and it was like I was betraying it. Didn't help that they gave me the base amount it was worth. I wanted to yell at them that it had more worth than they gave it credit for. Haha.

^ YES. the velveteen rabbit (never saw the movie, though) killed me. i also remember a film version of the secret garden that begins in india, and the little girl's doll is thrown into a fire on camera (i forget why.. brideburning? har har) but maaan that shook me, too..

am finding much difficulty in cleaning things from my parents place, as there is much there that i can't bear to toss out..

Lightyear

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende >> One of the greatest children's books ever written

Also Alice in Wonderland

JakeReckons

MBTI Type
INFP
"The Last Lecture" - Randy Pausch

I've not felt myself agreeing more with any author in my life. Except maybe for Ovid. But his stories don't count here (lol).

I was totally at that lecture, but the auditorium filled to capacity right before I was allowed in, so I went backstage and wished Randy good luck on his speech :)

My votes:
Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
Anything by Haruki Murakami (he's an INFP through and through)

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

The Four Agreements by that Native American author guy of the Toltec tribe

My favorite book above all others ever written or to be written is by my favorite author. The book is the Bible. A book that actually reads you as you read it. Fascinating.

I agree totally. (Don Miguel Ruiz is that Toltec guy.)

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
Anything by Haruki Murakami (he's an INFP through and through)

Yes! Murakami is another excellent NF-friendly author. Which book of his is your favorite?

And now that so many great children's books have been mentioned, I have to add the A Wrinkle In Time series and anything Roald Dahl to the list.

JakeReckons

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes! Murakami is another excellent NF-friendly author. Which book of his is your favorite?

I really enjoyed After the Quake, one of his short story collections. I've always appreciated someone who could pull off a good short story. What about yours?