User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    infj

I think my favorites are either Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World or Kafka on the Shore. I love the magical realist themes in many of his books.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I love this thread! I especially agree with the love for Kundera and Murakami. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is fantastic, but I've been enjoying some of Kundera's other work lately. And Muarakami's Kafka on the Shore and especially Norwegian Wood are two of my favorite books.

I would add Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamozov by Dostoevsky, although those may have more NJ appeal than NF overall.

Oh, also: The Road by Cormac McCarthy, while not specifically NF, is a book I dearly love.

MBTI
    INFJ

Speaking of Dostoevsky, I HIGHLY suggest The Idiot. Myshkin lives in his own idealized perception of people and the world, and people ridicule him for his naiivete and innocence. I enjoyed it, it looks like something other NFs would enjoy.

Oh Fyodor, always tormenting Jesus-types in your stories.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Not sure if it's a series of books that would have particular appeal for NFs, but I would recommend all three books in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman. I couldn't get them out of my head for months after finishing them, they elicited that much thought and reflection from me. I just found them wonderful.

I'm also a huge Gaiman fan and would recommend "American Gods" to practically anyone who would be willing to listen to me recommend things.

Oh, and I was also traumatized by "The Velveteen Rabbit". I actually lost my favorite stuffed (best friend) rabbit when I was five and I think my Mom thought the idea of him having gone off to become a real bunny would comfort me. I spent a good two years on the look out for a real rabbit that was pink with a red nose. I wish I was kidding.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Maldolor View Post
    The sorrows of young werther
    Yes!

I haven't read most of the other books mentioned. Actually, in all my stress with being in my final year of high school, I've pretty much forgotten to read at all! But this thread has made me want to start again! I shall start with The Catcher in the Rye, I think. I'm also very interested in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Thankyou for an awesome thread!

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    Speaking of Dostoevsky, I HIGHLY suggest The Idiot. Myshkin lives in his own idealized perception of people and the world, and people ridicule him for his naiivete and innocence. I enjoyed it, it looks like something other NFs would enjoy.

Oh Fyodor, always tormenting Jesus-types in your stories.
    The Idiot was good...but I remember thinking it was very tedious at times (and I'm a huge fan of books that others would describe as 'tedious' ), and I did find the character annoying at times, simply because his perception was so completely warped from reality.

LOVED Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment, though.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ

Given how many books there are in the world, I find it fascinating how many NF book recommendations are indeed in my top 20 already ... Pullman, Gatsby, Steinbeck, Gaiman ...

I would also plug Susan Cooper's 'The Dark Is Rising' series, anything by Colette, and 'Smilla's Feeling For Snow'.

Don't question why she needs to be so free
    She'll tell you it's the only way to be
    She just can't be chained to a
    Life where nothing's gained
    and nothing's lost
    at such a cost

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I love Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, too, (especially the latter two books) and I was SO enamored with The Dark is Rising series as a child.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    Oh god, the Velveteen Rabbit. My mother thought I was insane for how much the movie version made me cry.
    jeepers..that makes two of us!

MBTI
    INFP

The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck