User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The Book Siddartha is the book of the Buddha. If you aren't at all open to any thing Buddhist, than I don't reccomend it, as it is a spiritual book. I am not particularly Buddhist, but the book was such an enlightening journey that I believe any NF, regardless of faith can gain some englightenment from it, as well.

It's the story of seeking self truth. Destruction of the ego, destorying the self. How it always dynamic. How we can learn from those most opposite us. For instance, the Buddha meets a selfish upper class princess who despices the Buddha because he is a wanderer and has poor clothes and no pocessions on. He is drawn to her because she has what he lacks. She serves as his teacher and he learns from her. This aspect of learning from others what you don't have, even if it is not what you seek, is a wise decision.

This book really meant something to me. I really really reccoment it. Please don't judge it because it is of Buddhist teachings. Gain some depth and overlook this aspect. I can find that it can talk to all of us, regardless of faith.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    The Book Siddartha is the book of the Buddha. If you aren't at all open to any thing Buddhist, than I don't reccomend it, as it is a spiritual book. I am not particularly Buddhist, but the book was such an enlightening journey that I believe any NF, regardless of faith can gain some englightenment from it, as well.

It's the story of seeking self truth. Destruction of the ego, destorying the self. How it always dynamic. How we can learn from those most opposite us. For instance, the Buddha meets a selfish upper class princess who despices the Buddha because he is a wanderer and has poor clothes and no pocessions on. He is drawn to her because she has what he lacks. She serves as his teacher and he learns from her. This aspect of learning from others what you don't have, even if it is not what you seek, is a wise decision.

This book really meant something to me. I really really reccoment it. Please don't judge it because it is of Buddhist teachings. Gain some depth and overlook this aspect. I can find that it can talk to all of us, regardless of faith.
    Are you talking about the Herman Hesse book or simply the recounts of Guatama Buddha's life in Buddhist texts? I'm guessing the former. Hesse's Siddhartha is an amazing read, though the main character, Siddhartha, is not Guatama Buddha (he's a minor character). You're right though, Siddhartha is very open ended. People with no background in Buddhist philosophy can easily pick it up. I highly recommend it.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I had no sympathy for Madame Bovary either. I had only a little for Anna Karenina, but I don't think Tolstoy meant for you to have much. I did enjoy his contrast of her & her brother's affairs (she ends up with sooo many problems from her infidelity, but he keeps messing around while his wife has all the anguish).
    Yes, exactly, I had a little more sympathy for Anna than I did Bovary but I lost it when she threw herself in front of the train.

I did have much sympathy for Edna in The Awakening though. That's another good NF read.
    Yes, I felt the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    OMG, did all of us take comp lit in school? LOL
    We never got to read good books like this when I was in school. I hated the stuff they gave me to read in World Lit in college, except one story called Sula.

In High School, the best we got was to watch the PBS version of the Scarlet Letter on the TV. Oh yeah, they made a big deal out of us reading Great Expectations in 9th grade but that was it.

Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

"The Last Lecture" - Randy Pausch

I've not felt myself agreeing more with any author in my life. Except maybe for Ovid. But his stories don't count here (lol).
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

MBTI
    INFJ

Seems some of us dislike the more popular book franchises. Just curious what books NFs absolutely hate.

Twilight is a given for most. I personally liked Harry Potter until book 6. Tom was given too little dimension (generic EVIL, lame), the romance felt artificial and like bad fanfiction. Meanwhile I LOVED 3 and 5 though. PoA for being just brilliant writing without a wasted word and nicely all tied together. OotP because of the dangers of government control and how people delude themselves to avoid acknowledging truth. (Didn't hurt there was a lot of focus on the older generation either.)

For non-popular franchises... I just can't read Dickens. I can appreciate his message and his storylines but I just can't get into his style of writing.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

The Grapes of Wrath is another favorite...I actually love anything by Steinbeck.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

The Lightbearer -Donna Gillespie (you'll love the main character)

The Eddas (or at least the folk tales based on the Eddas)

A Fairytale Book based on the Grimm stories

The Kamasutra (tantra is NF sex imo )
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    Seems some of us dislike the more popular book franchises. Just curious what books NFs absolutely hate.
    As a rule, I dislike almost all genre fiction, particularly science-fiction & fantasy. As a child, I did read the first Chronicles of Narnia, but got bored with the rest. I liked the Ramona Quimby books and some Nancy Drew, but mysteries bore me as an adult. That's as close as I've ever got to a series. Now, I almost exclusively read classic literature.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    We never got to read good books like this when I was in school.
    We had a pretty good list of books we read in HS. There wasn't much analytical discussion though. It was just read the book and take a test and maybe write an essay.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    infj

Great recommendations, everyone! This thread compelled me to post for the first time in a long time (what can I say, I love books). There are too many good books out there to list, but these are ones that I think would appeal to NFs, and fellow INFJs in particular:

The Winter of Our Discontent (Steinbeck):

I have a tendency to fold down page corners when I find a particularly wonderful idea or phrase in a book. By the time I was finished with this one, every other page was folded down. Perfect reading for NFs of all kinds.

War & Peace (Tolstoy):
    Yes, it is long, but I cannot stress how rewarding the read is. I can't think of any other author who had such an amazing ability to create realistic, complicated, interesting characters, who remain relevant in modern times.

The Master and Margarita (Bulgakov):

Beautiful and bizarre. An amazing piece of magical realism complete with a pistol-wielding cat and the Devil himself.

The Baron in the Trees (Calvino):

I'd recommend anything Calvino has written, but this was my introduction him and the book follows a more traditional storyline than some of his other works.